Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Bend Kansas! What's there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kraz, Apr 14, 2009.

1. I will be heading out to see a buddy of mine in Great Bend Kansas...where is that you say? I do not know but I am going there!

I heard about an old drag strip in Great Bend that is the longest running strip in the country? Is that true? I want to go...so that is on the list.

Well, if there is anything hot rod-ish out that way please let me know. Or if there is anything between Kansas City and Great Bend for that matter.

Any junk yards in central Kansas worth a look? I figured this was the place to check things out.

Take care,
    Kraz

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I know exactly where that is...

There's a huge yard on the north side of town...the owner is about 90 years old, but if you call him and make arrangements with him, he'll let you walk the yard...and most everything is for sale...

R-

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

great bend...used to be the home of the fuller brush company...wow..haven't used fuller brushes in years.

4. Thundergrunt

Thundergrunt
    from Tulsa, OK

If I'm not mistaken, Great Bend is where the 1st NHRA Nationals wer held...around 1955,

5. 427c.i.

427c.i.

Made the trip there from Illinois this winter to buy a coupe off of a fellow Hamber.
    Nice little town, but be careful...the tumbleweeds will commit suicide right in front of you!!

6. roundvalley

roundvalley

Google- NHRA 1955. Pictures.

7. Old F.A.R.T.

Old F.A.R.T.

Ya Gotta stop and see Rich at Affordable Street Rods

8. whamoman

whamoman
    from USA

i grew up in Russell just north of Great Bend. I remember all the cars going through Russell on trailers headed to the first NHRA Nationals in Great Bend. I think R. C. Williams is managing that strip now. He's originally from Russell, a great drag racer from the 60's, 70's Tell him Carl Green said hi. There's a great salvage yard just south of Hoisington, north of Great Bend. There are some guys on the HAMB from Russell and surrounding area. They'll find you...

9. Great Bend is just west of the Sausage Capitol !! >>>>.

10. When are you heading this way? There is a points race at end of April. Several salvage yards North of town. give me a call.

11. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Fuller Brush was there the last time I went to the Inliners Vintage Races. It's near the airport on the west side of town. It's historic even if it doesn't look it.

12. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

They tried to start a Heartland Hot Rod Reunion there after Thunder Valley in Oklahoma lost interest in it. Hot Rod Reunions just didn't seem to work in the midwest though. The last one had Cody Parr and Connie Swingle honored.

I first met Connie (since deceased) at a California Hot Rod Reunion. It was about 7am, so we went over to the RV he was in, and someone went in and hauled him out. He had a jim beam in one hand, and a burrito in the other. I never laughed so hard in my life. What a character. If I repeated even half what he said, I'd be in jail for life.

Cody on the other hand, is a well known millionaire from Oklahoma City. He don't talk much, but sells a lot of street rod parts. Still has a blown altered smallblock that is purty in candy apple red.

13. 2deuces...just pm-ed you. I believe Fuller is still rocking as a friend had an offer to work there just a few years ago. I will certainly look into the 55 nats for images...so it is true.

Rich at affordable street rods...is it in Salina or another town. What are the chances of a place being open on a Sunday? May have time on the back stroke to stop in.

Thanks again for insight...totally pumped now to make the drive. If you see a black car broke on the side of the road...that is me.

14. NoSurf

NoSurf

15. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Yes, home of the first NHRA Nats. I think there is a little drag racing museum there.

This is a Record Holder Trophy from the'55 meet won by an Enid OK driver in B/SP.

Found it at an estate sale a couple years ago.

Attached Files:

16. Old F.A.R.T.

Old F.A.R.T.

There is a points race there this weekend...test and tune started today

17. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

If your going thru Junction City on the E-way stop at Milford Lk. rd to see Easy Jack's yard. Lots of vintage tin, I was amazed.