Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Great Ashfield, England WWII

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, May 27, 2018.

1. X-cpe

X-cpe

Thank-you

Deuces likes this.
  2. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

My wife and I spent some time in Italy few years ago and we rented a car just to drive through the countryside. While driving around Lake Como we saw an American Flag flying down a narrow walkway. We investigated and found a small US Military Cemetery. It was well kept and green with fresh flowers all around.

Come to find out all cemeteries in Europe that American Military rest in have been given to the US Government. So those that lay to rest there are still on American soil. We stood silently with bowed heads giving our thanks to those that gave the ultimate price for our freedom. We then looked for American flags raised at other cemeteries around Europe. Sadly there are far to many of them.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

warhorseracing, Offset and Deuces like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

That was probably near the place where I was born..... :(

4. Have been to Vimy Ridge Memorial many times. The Canadian Government keeps it absolutely pristine and it looks like it was built yesterday. SS troops defaced it in WW2, unaware of how important it is to Canada, and they felt the wrath of the Canadian troops when it was retaken.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 2935ford

2935ford

^^^^
    I did not know that.
    Amazing they didn’t blow it up.

I’m planning a visit there next year.

Deuces likes this.
  6. elba

elba

My Father's brother, Raymond Smith from Warren Ohio, was killed in North Africa in WW2 and my Father was in the South Pacific in WW2 .

7. X-cpe

X-cpe

In '63 as my Scout troop was one of many that put flags on all the graves in the Punch Bowl Cemetery on Oahu. Still remember the feeling.

The37Kid and Deuces like this.
  8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

My father and his oldest brother served in WW1 and one of my cousins served in WW2 in Patton`s 3rd army in Shermans.They are all gone now.Dad was 98 when he passed in 94(his bd was 11-11-1896).Miss them all every day.
    Leo

The37Kid and Deuces like this.