Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Greasemonkey's 37 Chevrolet Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemonkey54, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Back in 1988 my dad bought a 1937 Chevy that would one day be mine. He worked for the phone company and saw it while climbing a pole one day. He went over to ask about it and ended up buying it. Its tags died in 84 and hadn't been driven for a little while because the owner hit a pothole which knocked a headlight trim ring and lens out and loosened a kingpin according to the owner. here is my sister and I with the car in 1988...[​IMG]

The car was put in a garage and stored until about 5 years ago when it was moved from one garage to another and then around thanksgiving I finally brought the car home. The car is mostly rust free but mice have had a field day with the interior and wiring.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fast forward to this past weekend I finally started work on the car. I removed the interior and mouse turds/skeletons/nests/etc from the car. It was a nasty job but a good starting place. Up next will be the running boards, and front clip to remove the motor and trans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Leakie

Leakie

Sweet, that thing looks pretty solid! What are your plans for it?

4. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Cool Story, you've grown up a little. She is a real Cutie, your daughter. I've always liked the 37 Chevy they really look good with a 2 1/2 chop
    Good luck with the project!

5. nice looking car. will be watching.

6. Always good to see a local lad doing well.:D

HOTRODPRIMER and greasemonkey54 like this.
  7. Plans are leave the body as is (at least for now) and update the drivetrain to a 350/th350 with a 9 inch. I would like to use a different motor but the 350 is out of my last car so its already paid for. The stock front axle will be used with an upgrade to disc. I think some white fenderwell headers too. This is definitely a budget minded project so some plans are on hold

8. aaggie

aaggie

It's a shame you won't get the thrill of welding in all new floors and body mounts, that body is in great shape.

9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's a nice car! I like the body style and I love the stovebolt six!

I can stretch to the point where I see why you wants to put in a V8, but a newer six can be very fine and a straight fit. And you could get a hot six for the price of a running V8.
    But I find it hard to get why you want to drop the third pedal, for the one legged mans transmission.
    Do you have a bummed knee, or a broken leg?

Keep at it, lad!

HOTRODPRIMER and dos zetas like this.
  10. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Great story and a great, solid start for a rod. Have a great time building it.

My dad was a telephone guy too and that's how I ended up with my first truck, saw it out on a repair run.

11. Growing up i wanted a hot 250 or 292 but i already have a 350 with heads and decent cam so free cant be beat. Same with the trans. Future plans call for the reinstallation of a 3rd pedal. Again cant beat free. I would rather get it on the road sooner than wait to afford my dream build if you know what I mean

12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I know exately what you mean, I'm a "if you got it, use it"-guy.
    But I like the stovebolt, and you also got that too.
    But I see why, but the more you cut, the harder it would be go back.
    But I can understand the 350, although being a front mounted SBC-closed fan.
    And makes me slightly happy that you will keep the three pedals and not turn all to the dark side, manual is cool.

But remember it has to make you happy, not me. I just try to help you, not to do something foolish

13. That's going to make a great family cruiser that you can then take pix of your little one beside. Also, glad to see another Chevy hot rod being built. You've got a great start there. Best wishes for a successful build.

14. my cars 023.jpg my cars 024.jpg ...nice lookin ol Chev there, always liked the 37-8 Chevs,...here's a 38 tudor I put together years back, ran a 250 inline...

6inarow, kiwijeff, 302GMC and 5 others like this.
  15. raymay

raymay

Great start greasemonkey.
    37 Chevy is one of my all time favorites. I have had several 37 cars and trucks and still own a Chopped Sedan I built in the 80's. The 37 Chevy was first with all steel construction (except for the Sedan Delivery) and had the Harley Earl inspired Speedline Styling.
    On one of my Sedan builds I ran a newer 6cyl engine. They are longer and can require some modification to the firewall. I was very pleased with my 6cyl engine choice but it did make for a tougher sell when I decided to part with the car.
    Don't be afraid to be creative and have fun with your build.

HOTRODPRIMER and greasemonkey54 like this.
  16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

1937 was the year GM got it together for styling. I don't think there was an ugly 37 GM car or truck. I may be a bit prejudiced.

17. alchemy

alchemy

One of my favorite cars was a '39 Chevy sedan I had about 18 years ago. It was an older built hot rod with the stock front axle. I installed a Mustang II front end which made a huge difference in the ride and stance. Now I'm a traditional stickler when it comes to Fords, but that Chevy really turned around when the MII was installed. Highly recommend it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Looks good man. Does it have a mustang II in it?

I think the 37s are a beautiful car. And im really excited to get it going

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. [​IMG]
    The clock is pretty cool on it too

20. 2935ford

2935ford

Right on.....use what ya got is my motto.

Going to be a really nice car!

21. Not a lot of progress yesterday but i got the hood and those support rods to the firewall off, the headlamps and grill trim off. The running boards and fenders are next

[​IMG]

22. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have a 350 SBC + 700R4 in my 37 sedan. There's not a lot of room up front, so the guy that built it had to go with an electric fan. For now I'm driving it as is, but a T5 is in my plans for it.

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  23. Its tight with the 216. I will probably run an electric fan too

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. i think 37 was a "magic" year for all the car manufacturers.......with the exception of the ford pickup.

HOTRODPRIMER and volvobrynk like this.
  25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I don't see what is wrong with the 37 pick up truck, and this is coming from a guy who thinks that a Ford 46 jailbar truck ain't half bad :-0

I hear this a lot that one model is considered ugly, but 9-10 times I fail to see it! It's still about eight times better looking the a mid 70s caprice! !!
    I can find it in me to see that not all Cars ain't photo models materials, but that doesn't make them ugly, although some of then looks a little homly. But there is often other good qualities.

26. I'm subscribed,and it's about time that neat old Chevy gets some love after 27 years. :)HRP

greasemonkey54 and volvobrynk like this.
  27. ...run an older short water pump and a mechanical fan, electric fans are problems waiting to happen and not traditional, plus they sound like crap.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  28. nope,..I installed a 70 Nova stub with drum brakes, fit very nice.

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  29. You're right on every aspect!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

If that fits, I'd like it better. Not sure what water pump I have, but I'll check that out.