Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gratiot Auto Supply, The worlds largest hot rod shop !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jul 30, 2008.

1. paintcan54

paintcan54

Page 77 in the cataog "Hallcraft Wheels wire wheels" $195.00 complet. Have them on my T-Bucket that was built in '62, getting ready to order new spokes for them. Man it would be cheaper to buy new then rebuild new. HAHA

2. Well, with any luck, I'll see you down there. I'll be there on Sunday.

JK

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

My one and only experence with Gratiot Auto Supply wasn't a very good one. I mail ordered a timing set for my big block Mopar (against dad's advice), and they charged my credit card and I never got the timing set. First they told me the address was undeliverable (it was a local business). Then they told me the city was incorrect (it wasn't) then about 3 months later I got a letter from bankrupcy court telling me my "rights" under the local laws. $30 wasn't a lot of money, but back then to a kid with a wife and a kid, it was a fortune. Probably put the "build" on hold for 6 months or more between trying to get my parts and the time it took to save up after I found out I was screwed. Even to this day, I don't buy much through the mail, I'm a hands on kind of buyer. Gene

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey Gene,...
    Except for the bankruptcy part,...I personally had this happen with J.C. Whittney, but you are the very first one I EVER heard of this happening with Gratiot,... Mail order was a really big part of Gratiot's business. and it was taken very seriously.

I remember, if a problem ever arose with a mail order, Angelo would ream out the employee responsible, and usually do something to make it up to the customer,... Gratiot closed the doors in the late 70's or early 80's,... And I could be wrong, but I don't think it went Bankrupt.

5. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I posted this catalog I have in the "Speed Shop Catalogs" thread. Had no idea this thread existed 'til now.

[​IMG]

Also...this was at the Nostalgia Drags in Muncie last year. Never made a run. I don't know if they intended to but the rain stopped anything from running anyway.

Attached Files:

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

After they went out of business we used to see Angelo at the races and swap meets with a trunk and back seat full of merchandise that I only assumed was left over when they closed. Kinda sad seeing a guy that was on the top of the world grubbing for a few bucks like a used up carnival barker.
    Years later he landed a gig with Ford Performance and you may remember the '34 red Sedan Delivery he had. He would go to all of the major events to corodinate Ford's advertising and displays. A few times after show hours we would run into him at a restraurant sitting all by himself having a bite to eat. Again, kinda sad.

Frank

7. Deuces

Deuces

I think there's only one Ramchargers store open on Plymouth Rd. in Livonia.. I was there a couple of years back buying a Edelbrock carb kit for a 600. Places like Hollywood Speed shop in Dearborn shut down and I think Mayfair auto parts bit the bullit also. Sure is sad..... I worked for Batten Performance in the early 90's and It went belly up in '99 or 2000 I think...

8. his track nosed coupe is up there for my all time favourite hotrod!

9. Deuces

Deuces

I have that Apr. '77 HOTROD mag sittin' in a box down stairs... I'll try lookin' for it on Monday. Something in there bout a 500 horse chevy 302 I need to look into... I'm sure I can make that kind of hp blind folded.....

10. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

I work out at the GAS in Pontiac on the Dixie Hwy when in High School. Went to school in Bloomfield Hills. Hung out with Steve Liskys younger brother who had the bad ass '78 TA Smokey & the Bandit special with the BB chevy.
    We used to get a lot of traffic when it was race weekend out at Milan. Our store manager drove a wicked 55-56 Chevy. I can remember his name, Mike I think it was. Man when they opened the big mega store down on Woodward that was some place. It had room for 6-8 cars inside the show room.

11. George Palm

George Palm

In 1966 I was about to be drafted, and no one would hire me, so Angelo gave me a job working on the counter in the original store on Gratiot. It was a steep learning curve, even though I had spent every dime that I had there for years, and read every car magazine in the last ten years, I had a lot to learn. Carl was really patient with me asking questions every minute, and I loved it there. On saturday's, I always said that the store was so packed that you could grab any part off the sheves behind the counter and throw it into the crowd, and someone would catch and buy it. The inventory was amazing. In a few months I was gone to Vietnam. When I returned Angelo had opened new stores with the base in Madision heights. I went to work at the new store in Flint for a while , and then moved to the mail order department. I really enjoyed working with Bird. She and I handled all the phone and mail orders, pulled the orders, did a lot of the catalog work and adds. It was great fun. Angelo liked to move people aroud a lot, so next I was off to the new store in Roseville. He encouraged us to be imaginative with designing store displayes, and it worked. Beautiful stores, always changing. I left to be a manuf. rep. for speed equip. lines covering ohio. I'll always admire Angelo Giampetroni.

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

He is a man to be admired in my book,... A visionary, and a true Hot Rodder down to the core. I really enjoyed working there as well.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My son has a "Street Sprint Kit Car" like the one on the HRM cover, Angelo and Linda in it.
    His is black, upper cage removed, running gear replaced with Vintage Chassis axle, has Vintique Kelseys now...Looks good with '41 Stude taillights, traditional oxblood upholstery, hairpins...

14. 34hemipu

34hemipu

Hey ! I worked at the Pontiac store with Big Al Ferguson and
    later Tommy Pineta (sp). This was 74 - 76 , the 70s oh well . Just before the van craze. Good times !

Mike

15. 34hemipu

34hemipu

Man I remember N&S on Woodward , just down from the station where the Silver Bullet Hemi Coronet hung out ! Middle school for me riding in dads 68 chev pu (learned on that 3 on the tree !) I started at Gratiot (in Pontiac ) when I was 16 ! I lied but had to own up to it later. We fired that T bucket in the showroom one slow winter night . 289 Hi po sounded great !

16. dragway classic

dragway classic
    from U.P.

great memories of RAMCHARGERS shop at Nortline&allen rd.Shop was just a few miles from Detroit Dragway,in the late 60's early 70's,they were one of the major engine builders in funny car.I would stop by the shop to see who was in town,Harry Schmidt'Blue MAx,Cecil&Langford BRAND X,TRADER RAY,as well as many cars just using the shop for repairs.The DORAN camero,FRANTIC FORD,and always a host of super stocks.Racing was at it's best.NOW,there is no RAMCHARGERS,we go to WALMART

dan griffin likes this.
  17. George Palm

George Palm

That T Bucket was really nice, great color with the black interior, and the ford power.
    George

18. Muttley

Muttley

19. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Always liked the people that pronounced it "Gra-ti-ott"

20. dart165

dart165

I have some mags from the early '50s with "The Hot Rod Shop" stamp on them, which I believe was part of Gratiot Auto Supply. I'll see if i can find em and scan them later.

21. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Just ran across this thread brings back memories. I was a jobber with Gratiot in the 60s. To become a jobber you had to have a tax license and place an initial thousand dollar order. Besides trying to run my little speed shop I had a regular job. I presold a bunch of wheels and hot rod stuff of the day and placed an order turned out they didn't have a couple things so they waved the normal $1000 deal and let me in at about $880. Hooked a trailer on and drove the 100 miles my go to guy was Vince. And of course Angelo on occasion. Back then I would call in an order and they would put it on Greyhound that ran between Detroit and Chicago down US12 I would pick up in Jonesville. Sometimes if I had a big order I'd drive up was always treated very well. They always let me know when something was hot when Holley came out with the three barrel I was told I got first two in Mi. When they came out with big 500 cfm two barrel I got first ten our roundy round guys were limited to 2 barrels and compared to the 2gc most were running those Holleys looked like a sewer pipe. I would always see all the crew at Autorama and it was even tax deductible good times!

22. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Back in 1964,at Autorama,Linda Vaughn handed me a Wiend catalog,with a Gratiot stamp on it, at the Gartiot booth. My mother saved it until about the mid 90's when I took it to my house. Around 2005 I put it on E-Bay. I was shocked to get $145. for it.

23. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Wow, what memories ... Gratiot Auto Supply. I lived in Lansing - MI state capitol and some 100 miles away. Once a month - in the mid-50's - a group of us would pool our change for a tank of gas and drive to Gratiot just to look at all the cool speed equipment Bill Toia - Angelo's uncle and Gratiot founder - had displayed there. It was like loosing cats in a seafood store! And that experience welded us to hot rodding and drag racing - forever.

BTW ... The "Hot Rod Shop" was an attempt by former Hollywood Automotive manager Gene McKrikard to re-enter the speed equipment business. It failed.

See all you Detroit-area HAMB'rs at Milan on May 21st for the Detroit Dragway Reunion.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I know exactly who you're talking about but cannot remember what ads she was in (without going through my old car mag collection). Needless to say, she was hot! She wasn't with Gratiot though...might've been with M.A.S. or similar mail order outfit.

Pete

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  25. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Yep, I used to receive their catalogs from circa 1971 to early 1980s; ordered stuff from them, Midwest Auto Supply and Ramchargers on many an occasion.

Pete

26. Hey thats me! All my buddies here in jersey used to pronounce it
    "Grat-e-ot".

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

And they pronounce "Jersey" Joy-sey,... so, there you go.:D

28. Nah, that's the way those new yawka's across the bridge say it.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  29. bdjupp

bdjupp
    from michigan

I worked at the Livonia Gratiot Auto Supplyin 1972-73. My manager was Larry Kaye (Karowlakoski) and that was the GREATEST job in the world! All day dealing with fellow gear heads and selling high performance parts. That was the only job I've ever had that I looked forward to going to work every day. Unfortunetly Angelo didn't pay to well. That was one of the trade offs to work there. I took a pay cut when I went there. Eventually my wife and I started to talk about getting married and I realized that I would have to go out and get a regular job (yuck!). It was great while it lasted and I am glad to have had the experience.
    It is pronounced graa-shut. There are alot of streets in Detroit that have french names.

30. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

who owned this ?

Attached Files:

Baumi likes this.