Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grant steering wheel adapter fitment?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggler, Jul 29, 2010.

1. draggler

draggler

Hello hambers! I ran a search for this and mainly came up with how to make wheels fit this or that!
    Here in lies my question Grt-4257 adapter for 53 f-100 steering column .
    The adapter splines start to slide down on the steering column ,then stops before 1 full turn of the shaft threads show on the wheel end!
    I spent some time tediously filing any mars,edges,or burrs from the steering shaft splines, the adapter seemed like it could go further .
    So before i damage the adapter beyond returnability ,is this normal?
    The old wheel slides on and off before it presses against the taper very well!
    I just didnt know if the new adapters have a tight fit ,or am i about to fubar the adapter ?
    Thanks In adance for your time! C

2. F&J

F&J

I have not installed a new (never mounted) Grant adapter since the late 60s but I sort of do recall it was very tight and needed to be seated with a nut/washer to start with....and later put the wheel on when you have it seated. But it been too long to recall if mine sat that high.

3. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I bought a new one about 6 months ago it was the same way. I never did get it to fit right but I had another one on a wheel on the wall I used instead. I think it was pretty soft metal though I think after you got it to seat once it would probably be ok.

4. draggler

draggler

Cool! Ill count the splines just in case! Thanx

5. I had a similar problem years ago on an F-1. I called the factory to verify part no., etc. Came down to "give it a good whack". It worked for me.

6. draggler

draggler

I dont mind whackin it ! Thanks C