Register now to get rid of these ads!

grant spalding distributor questions anyone have a busted cap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sealed Power, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Picked up a Spalding distributor. One of the caps is chipped. Not bad enough that it can't be used but I would like to try and make a replacement.

Which leads to a couple of questions. The original caps appear to be bakelite. Is there any reason caps couldn't be cast from a two part urethane? I have cast some parts from it and it's tough as hell and relatively chemical resistant as far as I can tell.

I don't want to sacrifice the cap that I have because it can be used as is and if I'm not able to make any then I won't have caps for my distibutor.

Does anyone have a badly damaged cap that you are willing to part with? I need one to cut up and get a brass insert out of.

If anybody has one please let me know. Be happy to pay for it or send you a free cap if I'm able to make any.

2. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Couple of more questions. I need a distributor gear will a gear from any SBC distributor work?

The distributor I have does not have vacuum advance is it possible to add it?

3. Second post yes and yes.

First post, I have a small crack in my side plate as well, I also thought of casting some.

4. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Tman

Have you ever added a vacuum advance to one? I see that it has the small stud that the vacuum canister attaches to but the plate that the points are attached to is fixed in place. What holds it stationary? Don't mean to be a dummy but I've never had one of these apart. I found scans of the original instructions in another thread.

You'll be pleased to know I did use the search button before I posted.:D

5. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Anybody know anything about adding a vacuum advance to one of these? Anyone have a parts distributor for sale or a vacuum advance canister?:rolleyes: