Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Thanks quick change I have 2 other 59 motors one a 3-1/16 and one that's a 3-3-3/16 bored alittle over. So between the 3 I should be ok. I'm going to tear this one down tomorrow as I want to see what kind of cam it has. I have a Beefy Howard's cam so maybe I get lucky and find a cool old smith cam or isky. I will post back after tear down.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Good for you paintslinger! Looks like you have all the bases covered. I really like your dedication and enthusiasm for this project and for keeping part of history alive. Good to see another flathead come back to life!!! Looking forward to future posts.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. image.jpg I went down and spent the day with kiwi Kev and he donated a set of 15 inch wheels and some bitchin old headlights to the cause. Very greatfull thanks Kevin. I also picked up some other really good parts from a buddy of his. Now i have complete brakes, ebrake set up a way nicer 32-34 rear spring and complete 32-34 spindles with the old school way of spacers for the juice brakes. Ready to run hey pump your brakes. Build is rolling along. After hanging out with Kevin all day I'm thinking about building a gasser out of my wife's 67 Camaro.

kiwijeff, skatermann and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Great thread, keep at it

5. Can anyone tell me if the ring and pinion gears are the same from 34-48. I have a 34 rear end with 4.11s and a 40 rear with 3.78s can I put the 4.11s in a 40 center???

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Why on earth would you want 4:11s? Flathead, trying to go as fast as gramps with the windshield off? I believe most fellows including myself are after 3:54s.

rtsidejohnny likes this.
  7. GOOD TO SEE THE SPOON MADE THE TRIP. I HAVE NO PROBLEM HELPPING YOU OUT WITH PARTS ANYWAY I CAN. LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE AND IF I HAVE IT IS YOURS.
    THIS IS THE WAY WE DID IT BACK IN THE OLD DAYS....HOT RODDERS HELPING EACH OTHER OUT TO GET A ROD ON THE ROAD.
    SEE YA, DENNIS

heavydumper likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

No, the early RnP will not fit directly in the '40 rear. Lots of guys pulling 4:11's out of their rearends, so you should be able to find some easily. Anything up to 1948 should fit that '40 rear. I think you could go as early as 1935 (I think), but a '34 is different.

9. Hey there Wyatt,
    I don't see myself trying to run this car up to 115+ like my grandpa did. With a nice built flatty like I am doing I feel like a set of low gears will just be flat out fun running around town. My wife and 4 kids limits me to balls out in a un roll caged and safey belts kind of car. Call me lame but I would rather haul ass around town then try to break records. This car is more of a piece of history to share than a lets go to the dry lakes and see how fast she will go. That would be fun but in today's day you have to have all the safety they make you have and that would ruin what I'm doing. I love light to light style of cars. Speed kills but quickness thrills....

10. Speed kills and quickness thrills is a registered trademark of Ricky bobby inc. Shake and bake.......lolllllll

Runnin shine likes this.
  11. No it wasent in the movie but it should of been. Maybe I should trademark it... How many of you been in some cars that flat out nail your asses to the seat. Iv been in some. Anybody been in a flathead powered car that has pinned you in the seat???? I would pay for a ride line that

12. You are right in 35 they went to a 6 spline from the 10 spline. So the gears are not interchangeable. Cyclone Kevin updated me on this issue...

Stovebolt likes this.
  13. titus

titus

stay with thr 378s, i have 354s in my 32 and it drives great.

14. h gasser

h gasser

Cover pics and participant info from vintage programs.

Attached Files:

15. h gasser

h gasser

Set #2

Attached Files:

16. h gasser

h gasser

Set #3

Attached Files:

17. h gasser

h gasser

Set #4

Attached Files:

18. h gasser

h gasser

Set #5

Attached Files:

19. Wow gasser that's unreal. You can look at those and see he went through some motors. Different years and cubic inches. Thank you so much. Sheds more light in on what he was doing. Hopefully there's more guys out there like you that have more scta programs. Thanks again

20. Just working on brakes. New ones I just got this last weekend from kiwi Kevin here on the hamb. As you can see there were done the old way with piston rings and valve seats. Slotted the backing plates to fit the 40 juice brakes. This is how I will put em back together. Also got some perfect spindles. image.jpg image.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 and 63fdsnr like this.
  21. image.jpg image.jpg Wow cool are these ford script bearings in like brand new shape. Part number b-1216

63fdsnr and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. image.jpg Damn......................

dad-bud, Blues4U, 63fdsnr and 3 others like this.
  23. what an adventure, thanks, paintslinger!

24. image.jpg Got all the brake lines today so she will stop. I finely get to use some of my nos brake rebuild kits.

63fdsnr, volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That is so Kool Bruce!!!! Love those O.E.M. FoMoCo parts!!!!!! Save those containers though.

26. I sure will save those I have a few O.E.M parts. Well maybe a lot but I can't tell all my little secrets. Let's just say I'm well covered in ol nos stuff. Im just stoked that insted of just looking at them they will be put to use now. I will be able to say I have ALL ford brakes with real ford parts. Not made in China. Hello

Late to the Party likes this.
  27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That's what I like see, Great work Bruce!!!!!

28. image.jpg image.jpg Ok fellas,
    Can anyone post any pictures of 32 with 40 rearend with tube shocks. When I took my grandpa to the little car show with cyclone Kevin he said he kept the friction shocks up front but had tube shocks on rear. Just looking for mounting ideas. In a picture I have it looks like they mount in the spring perch area and go up towards the center of rear crossmember. It's hard to see but look at the picture and tell me what y'all think. Maybe stock 40 shock perch I don't know it's been 12 years since I sold my 40. I have painters mind so I can't remember yesterday. Lol

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Tailpipes look perfect!
    Lots of guys using 48ish Henry lower shock mounts. There clean and cool. I wanted these but gave up.
    The HAMB is amazing but I could build a pretty good rod from just staring at google images all day. I get faster answer scrolling then waiting for a response to a question.
    There is also a listing that pops up in the classifieds all the time for new copies. I can't think of the name. I'll PM you if it comes to me.

30. WTB.... Anyone got any 1947-48 California licsens plates. I want to use the same as grandpa had since they got new plates ever year I don't want to use 32 plates.