Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Dennis that's not the sun!!! It's the after, after,after, burner from the hypersonic special!!!!!!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. Had a great time with Gary from San Antonio. Wish we had more time to hang out but I had to get my friend back to Hollywood that night. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

3. WOW! Bruce...Some great photos right there..I really like the one with the dust in the back ground.
    Thank's for posting them...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Yo Bruce - whats happening? Have you done any more sleuthing related to your ignition and all that jazz? Was wondering if you guys figured anything out?

loudbang likes this.
  5. Dale I went down to a friends that has a brand new redone sun machine. Same guy that built my other distributor. He set up another one for me to try. He has never done a LZ converted to v8 so he doesn't want to mess with mine. The battery was dead when I left el mirage. Even with a brand new cut out I think the gen. Is not charging. I'm going to take the strap off and see where the third brush is and try to adjust it. I think it would still charge a little but a few ol timers are telling me to check that. I should just try and set up the Jim kurtan LZ and use that till I can find a vertex mag drive. I have a sun dis. Machine but I can not find a flathead dis. Holder for it. I really think it's the battery/stock distributor with no charge. Iv had the battery on the charger for two days low amps and it's at almost 7v it's an optima 6v. I have big ass 6v cables it has no problem starting when the battery is charged. Tomorrow I'm going to change out the dis. And see how she works. Also going to set up my vac. Gauge and amp gauge. We cruised all around el mirage but no high rpms. She's being stubborn. But after a couple more dinners and drinks she will perform the way I want her too. She sure stops good so that's a plus.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. You can do a simple test on the generator by taking the fan and belt off and then seeing if it will "motor". Basically you can hook it up to a 6V supply and it will spin like an electrical motor. I can't remember how you hookup the wires (with the cut out off) - but you should be able to find that on the HAMB. Then you'll at least know the generator works. If it works, then I'd buy one of those "regulators" that looks like a cutout - they work great (is what I used to run) - mounts right on top like the standard cutout, looks exactly like the original (but a regulator). They're about $70 or so, but a true regulator instead of what you have now. I believe you can buy one at C&G Auto parts.

You'll get it sorted out . . . just takes some more tuning. I'm gone this week, but drop me a note and let me know how things progress. Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. image.jpg Happy turnkey-day everyone.:D

chop job, Jet96, 31hotrodguy and 6 others like this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Goofy ass shift lever havin mutha clucker!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

383deuce, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  9. And a belated one to you and your family as well! We have much to be thankful for now don't we.
    B&S

loudbang likes this.
  10. Wishing you all a belated Thanksgiving...I am liking the hat Bruce....Looks like something you would wear in Nebraska...

11. loudbang

loudbang

Found a photo of some vintage safety equipment you need :) Goes with the car

saftey.JPG

Jet96, Okie Pete, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  12. turbodiesel

turbodiesel
    from australia

loudbang likes this.
  13. turbodiesel

turbodiesel
    from australia

Hi just a comment on the rear axle location on Grandads Deuce . My fist 32 ford back in 1962 had a 1939 wide five rear in it . It ran the 1939 straight rear spring and not the curved 1932 type . Must have had a modified cross member or a ground to fit spring because it had the stock riveted c/member in it . To fit the 32 spring to a 39 rear end would see a miss alignment of the shackles and the curved spring will kick the rear axle forward. I have really enjoyed the article , read it all twice in the last week and it really takes you back to when we were younger hot rodders . Thank you Joe from Downunder

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  14. turbodiesel

turbodiesel
    from australia

15. turbodiesel

turbodiesel
    from australia

Hi from Australia , I have been reading this article for a while have spent much enjoyable time studying every detail . It takes me back to my first 32 ford in 1962 . Your rear end problem with centering your wheels in the correct spot is because of the 32 spring and the 39 rear axle . The curved 32 spring pushes the 39 rear end forward because the spring hanger brackets on the 39 are longer than the 32 ones . My first 32 had this setup but ran a strait 39 rear spring , i never checked it pot properly , how it had the straight spring in the curved c/member .

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. turbodiesel

turbodiesel
    from australia

17. turbodiesel

turbodiesel
    from australia

Dear Sir , I struggle with this computer . The above photo of your chassis and rear axle shows the miss aligned shackles and the diff center is too far from the crossmember , so the curved spring has pushed the axle forward . I could have helped with some of you parts needed list but the shipping costs are horrendous from down here . Its good to see you have it done and i applaud the guys that helped out . I'm probably classed as one of the dreaded " Hoarders " but i been a 32 Ford fan for 55 years and i really like my stuff . Thank you Turbodiesel from Downunder

18. Thanks turbo. The second chassis I bought was set up with the wheels forward. I think it gives it an alter look. Shorter wheel base. I have all the stuff to make it fit perfect with the wheel wells but as of right now it's not broken so I'm not gonna fix it. Plus it gives everyone something to talk about.

loudbang, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  19. image.jpg image.jpg Boy oh boy with all these fires here in California has kept the weather in the high 70s so I just keep hustling. It's snowing here but not cold snow. Just ash!!! 27 rpu on A model frame. Getting her ready for May el mirage. Get out there and work.

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I built this in 1998, image.jpg
    Tom Fritz did this oil painting in 1999. I saw it at the 2000 LARS, Wally Parks, was driving around in a golf cart and indicated that one just like the one he was looking at (mine) was on canvas in the vendors area.
    It was so good to hear Wally say to his passenger,”Now here’s a Hot Rod!”, So I went and checked out the painting. Tom Fritz took a ton of pics of it when we were out at the Antique Nats.
    621C8F4F-DAB7-49D3-83FE-8E6AEDD0E369.jpeg For the 2001 Mooneyes Show in SFS, I took the T-Ster to the show, but this time she was sporting a pick up bed, was a great move.
    This is one of those cars that are just plain fun.

Congrats on getting one of those as well.
    The kids are going to dig it!!!! See ya at El Mirage!!!!

21. image.jpg Happy new year. It's gonna be a good one!!!! Get out there and build something.

22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Happy New Year Bruce!!!!!!
    Wishing you and Elmer the best!!!!!

Stogy, paintslinger805 and loudbang like this.
  23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Brown shell is a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. paintslinger, try "full fielding" the voltage regulator. run a jumper wire from the "fld" terminal to ground. If your amp-meter jumps to maximum amperage, you need a new regulator. Tractor supply has 6v regulators for about $50. I found this out after dropping $95. for my old 6v Chrysler.

25. I don’t have a volt regulator. I’m running a 36 ford generator with a cutout. I have nos ford 6 volt regulators and later generators but I like the look of the cutout style gens.

26. Dam Bruce I am liking the truck photos...Great seeing ya at the GNRS even if only for a few min.
    Take care bud. I never did run into Kevin at the show. Was he there?

27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Dennis,
    I was there on Thursday, much easier to see the cars in their natural states. F92D62F6-300D-42CE-BC11-07027923E0AF.jpeg 3C27215F-51EC-42D4-9924-A76CF6DE7916.jpeg D8A4FE31-1B25-445E-9524-9111B6D5E683.jpeg Gotta a text from Bruce, he was with Jimmy B. Friday Night.

Sorry I missed you, call me when you’re in town next visit. ;).

28. 669B57BA-F7A6-4F13-A133-97E2FAB88275.jpeg Howdy y’all. Ol hypersonic has a girl friend now.... and the crowd goes wild!!!! :D

63fdsnr, brEad, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine