Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats to bad...Hypersonic looks good with the backdrop there. Ole Mother Nature can be a bitch and could care less about us having a good time.

2. ElMo is a cantankerous bitch - can be really nice . . . or one big dirty ass shithole. And I've seen it the later more than the former. :mad:

Stogy likes this.
  3. That has to suck after driving all that way. I will give you a call today later on.

4. WOW! I just got caught up with this thread, and all I can say is "WOW!" Good on ya! Can't wait for the LARS pictures. How does Elmer feel about being an internet celebrity?:D

5. image.jpg So happy I just scored this dash for the hypersonic. So pumped right now here at the la roadster show:rolleyes:

Texas36, porkshop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

So funny

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fancy Bottle opener right Slinger?

4368391.jpg

x2

1.gif

x3

It's not April 1rst...

x4

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  8. image.jpg Scored again!!! Traded my billet flame dash for this early 5 hole gauge panel all gauges work.... Got rid of the 4 hole panel with duplex gauges. Hot damn

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Theres one lucky car it probably told ya couldn't come in the garage with that thing...:D.

Any luck with that rare trim. Maybe someone can make a casting from your trim.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

IMG_1861.JPG
    This pretty Kool roadster pulled up as Bruce was pulling up stakes. Guys name was Owen that got it together.
    Sam is on the left Owen in the middle and Ol Paintslinger805 on the rights
    I saw Dennis, was very nice to see him, took a Kool ride in Hypersonic!!!!!!

timmy2times, 63fdsnr, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  11. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

What was the deal with driving your car all over the swap area Saturday morning-- while there were all those pedestrians walking around ? You were doing a great job of pissing a lot of people off, I heard from several buyers/sellers they wanted your ass kicked out of the show. Burn outs and revving your engine (while pedestrians are all around a swap meet area) don't make you look cool.

ZZLEGEND, WiredSpider and Paul like this.
  12. And btw hellshotrods I never once did A "burnout" it's a brand new motor and I never lugged it. I have to keep the rpms up so if I pop the clutch alittle and it cherps that's not a burn out. The gearing in the car makes it where I have to keep the rpms up to not lug it. So driving around the swapmeet in the isles I have to keep the rpms up to not damage the brand new motor. But with the clutch I have to feather it. That's where the revving came into play. Also I never revved it up over 3000 rpm as I have a tach. It's a true 9000 dollar full race motor not some stock pretty up stocker with cool super rare heads. All I ever wanted to see since I started this recreation of my grandfathers car, was to see him smile from ear to ear and see, feel, hear, the sounds and memories of his youth. I know I have made that happen and the stories he shares with me about tickets and the police and general public hating chopped down roadsters is price less. So I guess I could stop posting his history and say THE END. And to all the haters at the swapmeet I just want them to know out of everyone, there were 10 lovers with kids and thumbs up to the 1 hater.

timmy2times likes this.
  13. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

You missed the point completely. Nobody has a problem with you unloading your car into the swap meet area and parking it like everyone else did. (people take pics of parked cars) You want to give kids rides (an excused you mentioned from deleted post), do it outside the Fairplex like everyone else did.

Many people said "when is he going to park that thing before he plows into somebody". Dude, when you have a crowd like that, all it takes is one person who is not paying attention while you are zooming around to get hit and ruin it for everyone in the future. This happened at the SanDiego Big 3 swap a few years back and once at Pleasanton, all because someone like you wanted to cruise around during a heavily walked area.

I don't hate your car, and I didn't have time to get out of my space and walk around (to meet you) because I was too busy selling, but I could see you constantly driving around and I could hear all the comments from everyone stopping by my booth.

Your (quoted from the post you erased)"I don't give a fuck" attitude is what causes a lot of problems. If everyone felt the same way you did, then the show would be shut down by the Fairplex people, and a lot of people wouldn't like that.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    thirtytwo, ZZLEGEND and WiredSpider like this.
  14. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Sorry partslinger, but I have agree with HellHotRods. Me and my bud were walking thru the meet when you drove by about 4 or 5 times. Sellers were saying the same thing when you kept chirping the tires. " why does he keep doing that?". You could tell people were getting a little irritated. Just passing on what we over heard. I like the roadster and saw it parked at your booth. Next time just be a little more considerate. Just my two cents that don't mean much.

15. @HellsHotRods I didn't delete the post. The guys in charge did. I'm sorry for my rant. I just got home from two days of 90+ heat and a long drive. I didn't realize I was making people mad. I was "never" being unsafe. After a year and a half of building this car I guess I am just too happy and want to drive it and let everyone enjoy it. All the thumbs up and guys stoping me for pictures and all the smiles on the little kids faces made me feel like what I did "recreating my grandpas hotrod" was worth the hard work and money.

Again I'm sorry to everyone at lars for cruzing around. I never "burned rubber" I did cherp the tires a few times most not on purpose. I was never never unsafe. The open exhaust makes things sound like I was hauling ass around.

I do agree it only takes one guy to ruin it for everybody, but that one guy is not me. This was the worst Lars show I have been to in the 27 years I have been going. "That one guys name is john" he ruined it for everyone when he took over and raised all the prices and charged for roadsters to come in. 40 dollars just to buy parts on Friday. Hate to say it but Lars in hanging from a sting, and it has nothing to do with me.

@HellsHotRods I'm sorry for my comments towards you, like I said the heat and the drive got to me and when I read what you posted it was a curveball to all the happiness on all the faces. Driving that car is like being a kid in a candy store and just so exciting I didn't seem to think guys were getting upset. All it would of took was someone to walk up to me and say something if they thought I was being an ass. I had some friends there from all over the map that wanted to take a ride.
    I'm sorry, Bruce.

ZZLEGEND likes this.
  16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hey Fellas..... take the drama to a private conversation.
    Any posts beyond this one about the swap meet and chirpin' tires it will be deleted.

Blues4U likes this.
  17. milgon

milgon
    from so-cal.

Me and my wife enjoyed seeing you drive in yesterday at the lars. Wish i had time to pull out my phone and film you. I did't know who you were. I just saw the name HYPERSONIC on the the side of
    the car. Knew you had to be on here some where. I did a search and found you. Reading your story and seeing the car in person. One word "WOW". Great story and great recreation.

timmy2times and loudbang like this.
  18. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

@paintsling805 - No problems man, I appreciate the apology. I hope you continue to enjoy your roadster just as much as the rest of us enjoy our roadsters. It sucked that it was so hot, I know, I stood in line for 3 hours Wednesday in the heat just to get a pass and then was there all day Friday and Saturday.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Nice to see a couple hot-rodders have a bit of a tough/real conversation . . . flush it out a bit and for Bruce to come clean on his perspective, eat a bit of crow in the process and clear the air. That is what stand up guys are all about - glad you guys settled it and everybody went away with a HAMBshake . . .

slv63, woodiemike, big duece and 2 others like this.
  20. Just arrived back home from the LARS and the high light of the screwed up run show was my ride in HYPERSONIC. So I can tell you for a fact we never done any burn outs at any time. It has a KILLER motor in it and Bruce never wound it pass 3 grand. It does chirp the tires a little and has no exhaust so it sounds like we were going bat out of hell fast, but we were not. Never once did I feel like Bruce was driving reckless around any of the people.
    I am like Bruce I am sorry if we pissed anyone off, but we were not trying to. Most everyone I looked at ere giving the thumbs up or taking photos of it.
    THANKS BRUCE for the great rides and good talk. It was great to see Elmer (granddad) also.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  21. Grandpa turned 87 on July 9th. We spent the weekend hanging out and worked on the hypersonicspecial in Sunday. Grandpa taught me a few old tricks and he figured out that the vacuum break on the distributor wasn't working. He's been telling me from the first day the motor isn't running right. We also figured out the generator wasn't charging. So he drove back home yesterday and will be coming back as soon as he can so we can finish up the tuning. He's the man!!!! image.jpg image.jpg I even found some WWII bomber seat belts and I asked is this the kind you had and he said yep but I only had one for the "lakes" then I would tuck it back behind the seat when I left back home from the lakes. So blessed he can share this history with me.

22. So kool to have someone with first hand knowledge to pick their mind. You are so lucky to have him.

volvobrynk and paintslinger805 like this.
  23. Elmer seems to be a great guy! keep on enjoying the time, you're doin' a great story on here!

24. Hey Bruce, How is it going on your end? All is great here in the flat lands of Nebraska. Getting the 3 window ready for the trip to Bonneville the 7th of Aug. will be heading out for the salt. Should be a great trip with around 18 hot rods.
    Any chance you might make the trip?

paintslinger805 likes this.
  25. Dennis, me and Gpa still have some work to do on the ol hypersonic special. Bonneville speed week would be really fun but I don't think I can make it this year. Cory is moving to colorado so I will be working double time to keep up with my accounts. I'm training a new guy now so it will be some time before he's up to Cory's speed. But we will see you never know I might get a wild hair and take off mid week and haul ass out there. I would love to see the salt and cars going over 300 mph.

RICH B, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well stated, 'slinger. WELL STATED ! Those jackass haters wouldn't say anything if you had a 20K paint job on your ride !

loudbang likes this.
  27. Bruce, Well the trip out to Bonneville was a total blast! Weather was good going out all but about 30 miles out of Rock Springs Wy. we drove in a down pour. Rain so dam hard you could not see the end of the hood on my deuce. Had to put the right front tire on the rumbule bars & just feel my way in to Rock springs and spend the night there. My daughter & son-in-law were driving my roadster with a top, but no side curtins & got drowned.
    The race course was very rough this year, lot's of spin outs & early shut downs. But it was still a good time George ran 438 for the top time. I bet he ran 10 times at over 400....That guy is a beast for an old fart. Danny Thomson ran 436 his first time out on Sat. so Geo. kept coming back until he bettered Danny's time. That makes 7 years now Geo. has had the top time at Bonneville.
    Sure hope some year we can get you, Gary & Kevin to show up on the salt as we would have a great time I am sure.

paintslinger805 and loudbang like this.
  28. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Me and grandpa out for a spin and doing more tuning.

loudbang, brEad, volvobrynk and 10 others like this.
  29. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Playing with the dizzy then got a push off. I need to adjust the clutch..
    Hypersonicccccccccccccccc

loudbang, brEad, volvobrynk and 7 others like this.
  30. Oh and having the shifter on the left side is badass. If anyone cares.