Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. So after I took my time all day yesterday to do things right, I got the front back together. Tonight after work I will stick it back under the car and bolt it up. Hook up brake lines and if I have enough time bleed the brakes and see if I can get a strong pedal. My front spring was missing 3 leafs so I made a shim to take up the room of the missing leafs. I drilled holes for my original castle nuts to work with codder pins like original. More to come later

graveyardsledder and Stogy like this.
  2. I can hardly wait for 2 things. Nice enough weather to grill artichokes. AND... The cruzin' with Grampa video!
    Are you using any particular wood for your grilling? or just whats handy?

3. I use red oak wood. I get a permit from national forest service for 20 bucks and I can go out to forest and get 2 cords of dead and down. So after big rain storms or wind storms I go out and find wood. It's like treasure hunting I take the family and put them to work and we also get to spend a few hours target shooting. It's when I really feel like a true free american.

loudbang likes this.
  4. image.jpg
    I'm tired and it's time for street outlaws.:)

Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  5. After I get it back on ground and out of the garage I will tape it off and paint all the new goodies.

6. Cooking and cars with Paintslinger. :D

I'll have to try that out sometime. Just for a change in pace.

7. Uhhhhh Ohhhhh . . . . those zerk fittings on your spindles are not '32 correct' . . . you better swap them out! LOL (and just try to get grease into the originals with your nice modern grease gun . . . NOT!). I figure you have at least one more solid day of work - but you're getting there!

ghornbostel likes this.
  8. Funny you say that dale. That's why I painted over them. I got my real 32 zerk fittings I rebuilt. I showed how to rebuild original zerk fittings back some time ago. Those will be changed out as soon as I'm ready to lube up the chassis. My grandpa also gave all his grease guns from his racing days so I got that covered too..... :)
    Hypersonicccccccccccccccccccccc

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

loudbang likes this.
  10. Oh Noooooo! I went back and looked at your '32 Zerk Fitting' rebuild post . . . and I hate to inform you, that you definitely have issues! :eek:

I've checked with the official '1932 Vintage Hotrod and Horseshit Society' and you are NOT compliant - as a matter of fact, your particular 'Zerks' . . . are imposters for the real deal. When I attempted to pass off similar 'repop' zerks . . . they told me that my particular ones are known as 'Jerk Fittings' . . . and that I was a helpless Twerker for trying to slide these inferior OEM parts or later replacements as the 'real 32 deal'. Miley Cyrus - ain't got nottin on me baby! o_O

So . . . in the interest of ensuring that you have ONLY the correct vintage 32 parts on Hypersonic (to make Gramps proud of you!) . . . I went on a 'Jerk Looking for Zerks Snipe Hunt' in my own garage . . . you will experience the REAL qwerk of the Zerk in the following video . . .

I hope you enjoy my stupidity . . . cause I enjoyed making it! LOL

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  11. Now that is funny shit. You are one hell of a hunter.:D

12. The zerk fitting I rebuilt was for instructional purposes only. No real 32 zerk was harmed in the process. They are like gold so must be handed very carefully.

loudbang likes this.
  13. image.jpg image.jpg Dale if you look real close you can see that your my number one fan.:D And yes I got real "32" zerks. Come on now I can't show all the holy grail stuff. Guys are already hating me. Now I got to rub some more holy parts in their faces. Its just 32 space junk floating all around my garage. Zero gravity
    Hypersonnnniccccccccccccccccc

Crusty Chevy, brEad and Runnin shine like this.
  14. I think my picture is as funny as your video, I hope everyone else dos too. All in good fun.

Crusty Chevy, brEad and Blues4U like this.
  15. image.jpg Shhhhhh!!!I found some more on a junk set of 32 pedals. I got the Midas touch.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Holy Crap Bruce . . . your Zerk Fitting hunt has uncovered the most elusive of gennie 32 parts! LOL I loved your picture with the 'bird' in it - too funny. See - now I just screwed with your mind so you'll be looking for original 32 Zerks from now on -- imagine how much of your time I've now begun to waste! I bet you'll have those period correct zerks on your 32 front-end in no time. LOL Hypersoooooooooooooooonic Baby

loudbang likes this.
  17. Dam! You both have me rolling on the floor with this shit.....Love it.....But now I am going to have to look around my shop and see if I have any of them dam original fittings myself........Se what you started Dale.

18. I knew I'd get all you 32 dudes all worked up over this! You watch - everybody is going to be JONESING for these original Zerk fittings, car show judges will now have a keen eye and Rodder's Journal is going to have somebody who makes a point of how hard they looked for "period correct" 32 Zerks for their front spindles . . . LOL!

And I bet every one of us will SAVE these little gems . . . for just the right project!

loudbang likes this.
  19. Well you will need
    2 for pedals,
    2 for drag link,
    2 for steering link,
    4 for spindles,
    2 for transmission
    1 for clam shell
    2 for rear end bearings.
    That's 15. Holy hell/grail
    Get to hunting. The Duece world will never be the same.

ghornbostel likes this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I had set most of mine aside to reuse in my build. Then Bruce did his service post and I made sure I locked them up in a safe until ready. I only have 9, then I sold a pair of thirty two spindles and left an extra four in them. Damn it! you know the gold chainer that got'm probably sent them to the landfill.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and paintslinger805 like this.
  21. Keep counting boys . . . if you have mechanical brakes, you have a few more! LOL

loudbang and paintslinger805 like this.
  22. Shhhhhhh don't tell anyone that A model fords are the same.... .55 cents at mikes As.

23. Crap - there goes your Million Dollar business . . .

paintslinger805 and brEad like this.
  24. I rebuilt them for .45 cents. Plus 25 dollars shipping and handling. original rebuilt a are still better than China's.:D

25. Dodgers have been playing san fransisco giants so no work on the hypersonic special last two nights. Go blue!!!!
    Work will return back tonight and tomorrow thru the weekend until she's hits the highway.

porkshop likes this.
  26. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Went down to my early ford parts guy today and did some horse trading on a couple of intakes, for a set of king bees a stewert Warner bolt through tack drive and some kick ass tires. The tack drive needs no bracket it bolts to the crank and is on bearings so the cable holds it flat. Hell ya this is what hotrodding is all about, finding the cool rare of rare shit.

27. Well I took apart the tack drive to clean it up and it's not bearings it's just bushings in both sides. Must keep it lubed good.

28. image.jpg More set backs. Looks like joe didn't bend my spindles to the correct position. Steering arm hits perch pin and the steering link hits the wish bone in both sides. Now I have to heat and bend them myself after paying him to bend to fit the axel. Yep eeeeeeee!!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

30. image.jpg image.jpg Damn she's low. I can slide a Pepsi can under the front axel.