Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

You could run a three corner file down those annoying little skip splines and then the arm will fit on in the perfect spot, wherever that may need to be.

brEad, paintslinger805 and loudbang like this.
  2. Hey, Bruce I never did receive what ever it was you were going to send me. The knee is coming along great. Got rid of the walking stick yesterday. Still a little swelling and could use a skim coat of bondo on it to cover up the scar. Had the staples, 32 of them removed yesterday.
    Take care....

3. Well Matt, we are pretty sure the drag/pitman problem is because of the heavily bent axel. The drag link is the exact same length as dales 32cab. So I know I have the right one. Once the axel is back from okie, it will be all better I'm sure.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Dennis it's still sitting in the front seat of the hypersonic. Along with Wyatt's box and dales box. Iv been running around and mopping up all this wet shit falling from the sky. I think it's called rain. Hardly see it here in sunny California. :D But we are in for 3 more inches starting tomorrow. So I will get these boxes off the everyone before Friday. I feel like a loser iv been telling Wyatt for a few months I will send him his box.:( But like grandma always said good things come to those who wait.;)
    I waited 36 years for a 32 roadster.
    It's a piece o junk but it's original.:eek:

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  5. DAM! Hard to get over it is still raining there. No problem on the box I was just thinking that I never did get it.
    As far as your roadster being a piece of junk, we all should be so lucky to have this kind of junk setting in our garages. Like you stated it is an original and there are a touch hard to come by unless you have very deep pockets.
    Now get out there and clean up the garage....

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cool factor off the scale.

7. I was thinking while Hypersonic is with out a front end it would be a good time to start some body repair work....a patch panel here and another here and it will change things a lot. So get back out in the garage and get to work.....Now that the garage is all cleaned up....Time to make a mess of it...

paintslinger805 likes this.
  8. I did some checks on the wishbone today and all seems ok. Axel arrived at okie joes on Friday so hopefully 3 weeks and not 8. Or even better yet hopefully he was just messing with me and will have it done in 1 week. I'm gonna call him tomorrow and see if I can bribe him with alittle more $$$$ to expedite my work. See if there's a way to push it to the top of his work schedule.:):):)

9. Hey Bruce - what the Hell was that 'blue background stuff' in your picture? I thought all it did was rain out there??? Glad you're getting the front-end setup correctly - is exactly the right thing to do. I wish you were out this way, we'd get Flop to do some killer metal work on your body (he is the man in my book!). Keep after it and let me know if you need anything.

B&S

loudbang likes this.
  10. image.jpg Oh that's an old picture dale that's from about nov. Here's what it looks like today. The wheel barrel I poured all the water out on Friday morning before I left to walk the streets of Bakersfield.... Had a soccer tournament out there. It's been really nice we really need the rain but I like to work and make money and since I do t work in the rain, iv been just hangin with momma and workin on the ol hypersonic. Not a bad deal really. Self employed so I hustle hard during summer and kick back for winter.

timmy2times and loudbang like this.
  11. image.jpg image.jpg Hell not even my California goats like the rain. All I know is come spring these goats better get to work because all this rain sure will make this acre of land grow like crazy

timmy2times and loudbang like this.
  12. Nothing like a good "grass fed goat" . . .

13. Ohhhh some goat tacos and Birra soup. Damn I'm hundry now.

Jeff34 and loudbang like this.
  14. Don't be talking about 'Goat Tacos' . . . frickin Flop will hear of them and beat a path to NorCal! LOL

loudbang and paintslinger805 like this.
  15. banditomerc

banditomerc

16. Hell I will cook the hole time he works on the hypersonics metal. Lol:D

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  17. Well I hope you injoy the read even know this thread has ran off topic a few times here and there.

18. banditomerc

banditomerc

My father in law mentioned something about a "hot rod" he had before he was drafted for Korea,he doesn't remember much except that it was "slippery fast"....

Sent from my SM-N910T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  19. Well dale since iv never been more than 400 miles in any direction of where I have lived my hole 36 years of life, a drive out to flops to get some metal work done on thy ol hypersonic might just be to amazing for this ol California streets kid. I would probably freak out if I was to ever drive through the mid west. As soon as I don't see mountains off in the distance I would be like B.A. From the A TEAM and you would have to dart me to stop me from freaking out. Iv never see flat land with no mountains. Is that weird or a good thing.

loudbang likes this.
  20. image.jpg image.jpg Here's the copper fuel line set up. I don't think I showed this. Mikey down at early ford store gave me the original firewall clip/braket that holds the fuel line to firewall. Looks good enough huh?

21. Bruce I like the bracket for the fuel line as you just don't see these any more. Very cool beans right there. With all the dam rain you just might have to buy ya a lawn mower as that crap is jumping out of the ground looks like to me. Nice to see some green though.

22. loudbang

loudbang

Teaching your youngens to wall climb early or these for the goats?

[​IMG]

23. Just saw this last night and was/am completely hooked on this build, have read all the pages (93 of them lol) love this build and history behind it with your grandpa! Definitely inspired to keep working on my '31 3 window build! Keep up the great work man!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. alchemy

alchemy

It's not a good idea to run copper gas (or brake) lines. And, you need some flex line between the engine and the firewall to allow the engine to move when it runs. I'd hate to see that line fatigue, crack, and burn the car down.

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This brings up a good safety alert @alchemy. Perhaps this line bracket may have caused problems as you describe in the past. Cars could have burned to the ground, people killed or wounded...cars towed to the yard and scrapped with a design flaw overlooked. Copper is old timey and looks awesome but yeah...definitely a consideration.

26. It's a steel line that is copper plated. As far as I know and have been told that's how it was from the factory in 32.

27. Hey Bruce - there should be a flex-line that picks up the hard line right past that bracket on the firewall. It is a standard item that you can purchase from anybody. You'll need to cut the hard line and put a new end on it. You don't want to crack that line with the engine movement and vibration - so you do need the flex line. If you need a picture of a 'stock unit' - let me know . . . as I still have the original line all the way back to the tank.

D

Tuck, paintslinger805 and Stogy like this.
  28. This is why I love the hamb. All the knowledge yall have. I did think about the fuel line but also thought to myself maybe these motors didn't move around like a sbc, but then again it's is rubber mounted. So I will rework that line. I might as well install my bitchin old fuel filter from the 30s iv been hiding for many years in my tool box. It will give me something to do while I wait for the axel to come back.

Stogy likes this.
  29. image.jpg image.jpg Then again I'm not sure how many glass bowls full of high octane I want near this engine. I guess if it burns down, I throw in the gutter and go build another!!!:)

Jeff34 and DylanHill1931 like this.