Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These photos remind us so much of TROG. What a super wonderful time. I'm really glad that freaking tree didn't hit the house or HYPERSONIC ! That rain during TROG was talked about by every person I talked to, especially the CA boys. The rain didn't dampen the spirits of anyone I met. This shit will go away soon and you'll get back knockin' on that roadster. Tell Grandpa hello, and talk to you soon.

loudbang likes this.
  2. DAM! Glad you did not get any real damage with the tree and the power outage. You guys sure have had your share of weather this year. Not real sure what Gary is talking about saying we talk funny here in the mid west. I thought it was them Texans that talked funny. Ya-All know what I mean.....Yup, shore-enough do.
    Now get the saw out and cut that dam tree up for fire wood to use in the BQ. Still recall those great fish tacos ya made up and the steak ones also....good stuff right there.
    Stay dry my friend..

3. Bruce I sent you a PM some days back and have not got a reply....Is everything OK on your end? I know you had said you were going to the GNRS so may-be that is the reason.

4. image.jpg image.jpg Here I forgot to show the pedals and how/what I had to do for the side shift trans. It's a good thing you can't them with the floor in.:D I also moved the brake arm down alittle and away from the steering coloum so I can wear boots when I need too.....:mad:

loudbang likes this.
  5. Come on BigFoot . . . Get Er' Done! LOL

loudbang likes this.
  6. Paintslinger,
    I haven't had a chance to check in for a while, and missed the p-38 conversation. But, I wanted to share a short bit with you. My dad graduated in 1944 and joined the then called "Army air corps" and served in Italy until '48 and was part of the Berlin airlift. During this time he was also putting together "crate" p-38's for the Italian military. The Italian pilots refused to go up in them until they were test flown by the American pilots first. Just a "little too" different for their liking I guess. My dad would do this terrible phoney Italian accent and say "I'm-a no fly dat piece-o-chit! I watcha you put it togedder! You-a guys a-fly it first!":D
    I think e-brake handle is great idea.

loudbang, paintslinger805 and Stogy like this.
  7. That's awesome now you got me speaking Spanglish with a Italian flare.

loudbang likes this.
  8. image.jpg image.jpg Look what grandpa gave me. How many of you know what they are? Me and Kevin were looking at a nice little model a pickup with a nice flatty and it had these on the plugs. His said champion. We asked grandpa and he said what they were and that he put one in the box he gave me. Said they use to run them. So this one is from at least 1949.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Resistors for radio noise...o_O...just guessin

loudbang likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flashing strobe on spark...lets you know there is power to the plug...:confused:

loudbang likes this.
  11. I'm thinking some kind of voltage step-up for hotter spark.

Sent from my SM-G360V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

paintslinger805 likes this.
  12. That's what grandpa says they are. I guess they have a resistor of some type inside.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. Or maybe a condenser.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Very cool Bruce....off the subject, but I have a new knee now.

15. Hey Bruce - fricking forgot to call you back . . . duh. You still need the info on the fuel line?

RODIST likes this.
  16. Yes still looking for the right set up on the fuel pump and original 32 sending unit. I figure they are some type of a-n thread with maybe a 30 degree flare?

RODIST likes this.
  17. Need to get the plastic can out of the cab.:confused: Grandpa is coming up to go for a ride on Monday. I would like to get it figured out by then.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Dennis I'm glad to hear from ya. Just take it easy and get ready for Lars.;)

19. Okay Bro - will check it out in the AM and ping yah

20. image.jpg Dale, Macs say it used this style set up. Says it's for fuel pump and original sending units.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Those are Edelmann 108400 "Ford" nuts, used to be in the brass fitting bins at the all the parts stores, probably not so much anymore.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Yes - that looks about right! And as RichB mentioned, you used to be able to get them just about anyplace. You might try a NAPA outlet near you - many of the ones here in Ohio still have the fittings in the bins.

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That condesor thing looks kind of like a "Stromberg condenser" supposed to go between the coil wire and the top of the cap. Supposed to add more juice to the spark.

I have a NOS one but it is a big round thing. Bakelite with a spring around it. About the size of a silver dollar and an inch thick.

24. image.jpg NOTE TO SELF: when buying new copper fuel line check package to see if it come with the fittings.
    What a DUMBASS. Here I'm spinning gears in a mad hunt and I had them the hole time. Now that's funny. But I did learn what the fittings are suppose to be factory originally.:confused::D And that's all that matters.....
    Learn learn learn
    Hypersoniccccccccccccccccc

loudbang and Tim like this.
  25. I like the Note to self statement & learn, learn, learn. We never stop learning. Make sure and take some photos with gramps going for a ride.....

26. Now THAT is pretty funny . . . go Bruce go!

27. figure8

figure8

glad to see you back on HAMB. How long till you can work in your shop?

28. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here you go Wyatt. Bracket bolts to the radias rods mount. Both rear brake lines run up the radias rods and into the tee. Just an idea for your build. I hope it looks like I made it in 20 mins so I can go to the dry lakes tomorrow after school....
    I keep finding pictures I forgot to share.

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  29. Well at the rate it is going my guess will be six weeks before I can do much. Anyone ever tells you it is no big deal to get a knee replaced is full of Shit.

brEad and my2nd40 like this.
  30. greaser

greaser

My 68 yr old sister in-law had knee replaced. Took a while to regain total strength... but now is quite mobile, and very happy with it. Speedy recovery, Dennis!