Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Its old style to use 1932 orig. Brake linkage with hydraulic brakes. They used install like that in the 40's. I have same system in my 2 hot rod.

2. Fogger

Fogger

Auliz, You are absolutely correct! When I built my '32 roadster 10 years ago an old timer told me to keep the mechanical brake parts to use for the hydraulic conversion. Not much hasn't been done before.

3. I'm actually happier to hear it was done back in the forties. Makes me and the car cooler.:D I think I had a lot more work to do on mine because I narrowed the pedal box 1" and took it all apart to be able to use the stock spring. Also I used a 40 ford master cylinder and they have a 3 bolt triangular pattern. I had to do a lot of r&d to make it all jive together. But it's a deuce and it's all been done before I'm just reliving through their dreams and accomplishments. I sit there and play with it over and over to make sure it will work and it's a great idea. Mine works perfectly. Has great spring tension and snaps back like it should. The hydraulic pressure might be great enough to push the pedal back but why not have the stock 32 spring. I think the 32 spring makes the car worth more too. More the deuce the marrierrrrr.

timmy2times likes this.
  4. Keep on it Bruce . . . let's see that car go down the road soon! Hell, it is 20 degrees here at the moment and by God I'm taking the FlatCab out for a ride tomorrow . . . screw it! I've not driven the car since the trans locked up in late July - can't wait.

PS: Had to change the oil to 10w-30w, that 20w-50w stuff was WAY to thick for this weather . . . have the ole' girl in my front garage (with heat), so she's in for a test drive tomorrow, whether she's in the mood or not!

B&S

greaser likes this.
  5. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here's to you Dennis... It's just like grandpa had. One more time period job well done. Thank you so much Dennis.
    Now I can communicate back to earth when I go HYPERSONICCCCCC....
    Are y'all pickin up what I'm puttin down. Roger that over.......

6. Earth to Bruce . . . Earth to Bruce . . . you appear to be going to fast for the radio transmitters to pick you up . . . hit the brakes will yah . . . Over . . .

7. Now how cool is that!!!!!!!!
    Glad ya liked it..and very glad it made it to you...Had me worried as you just don't see them these days.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  8. image.jpg image.jpg I got this torque tube a few weeks back and just now tore it apart to get the drive shaft out and it's not a solid one like in the roadster already, it's a tube style. Dammit. Now I have to find another one. I need about 2" longer tube and drive shaft because the one that was in the roller chassis I got someone cut it too short or they use some other style transmission but with everything I got hooked up the rear wheels are about 2-2-1/2" infront of where they should be. So maybe I will split this tube and turn them into the exhaust tubes everyone goes crazy for.

Runnin shine likes this.
  9. The pinion gear and bearing is very nice so I will shelf it until I find the right quick change center section.
    Oops did I say quick change wooooo
    Pump the brakes grandpa didn't have one of those. But if he had the money he would of.;)

10. Bruce, the drive shaft sounds like something I could find around here easy, but shipping would kill us on it. So I hope you can find one out there.
    I like the idea of the quick change as I am sure Elmer would have had one in Hypersoniccccccc if he could have swung it back in the day. Over & out!
    Dam that antenna is working all the way here in Nebraska...

11. No worries Dennis the guy I got this one from has one but it's attached to a 354 geared rear end and won't just sell me the drive shaft I have to buy the hole rear end. So I guess having another extra 354 rear end won't hurt.

12. Bruce: I've not heard, or don't remember using hydraulic and mechanical parts together. School me. Does the MC push on the mechanical linkage or?? Tim

13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Might not build you a drive shaft, but that has your exhaust covered if ya cut it in the right spots!

And I want an antenna like that!

14. image.jpg
    Tim I'm only using the 32 mechanical brake lever system to connect the brake pedal to the hydraulic master cylinder. From the master cylinder out to the brakes is normal brake tubing with brake fluid in them. I did this so I didn't have to cut and weld the brake pedal and then have a master cylinder hanging down under the car. Check out this picture and you will see the only part of the mec. Brake system that I used. When I push down on the brake pedal it pulls the lever and pushes in on the master cylinder. It's just a lever system. I hope this helps ya out tim.

15. Yep, I got it thanks. And a very good idea and use of a part that would ordinarily wind up at a swap meet.

16. Matt my grandpa said having a radio was the only way to go. He said it you weren't cool if you didn't have one.

dumprat likes this.
  17. Your right tim I see them all the time at the swap meets for cheap. It works so good I'm gonna buy a few more for my future projects.

18. Matt, Good luck finding one....I looked for some time for one as I knew Bruce wanted one bad. I found this on facebook on a guys car he had bought. Sent him a message & ask if he wanted to sell it. Said hell ya as I was going to pitch it......so I made him a offer & now Bruce has it...winner, winner, chicken dinner.

paintslinger805 and Runnin shine like this.
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Well nice to know Bruce has ya looking out for him. And alas I guess I will have to search the swaps. But I am not in any hurry.

20. That's some good yard bird!!!! Dennis is one hell of a hunter.

21. Super Chicken . . . Foghorn Leghorn has nothing on you boys!

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You came through for him and that is so cool, Dennis. I was skimming some photos of some El Mirage racers the other night, and this Deuce roadster came up several times on the street, on the dry lake, cruising down the road, and it had that same antenna mounted the same angle. I think the flics were from the early 50's. Hope you are doing good, Bud.

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those pieces you find are not going in the pile marked NOT FOR RESALE ? LOL You know, I would have bet that no one in North America had designed the same brake linkage as you have. Maybe Fogger lived in Saskatchewan or Berlin or Christchurch or Madagascar ten years ago ! So few builders today have the heart and soul that you exhibit daily. Doing great, Bud. Gary and Joyce.

24. image.jpg
    Hey Matt I found you an antenna. Bob drake 25 bucks. I just got a Christmas issue.

25. Well shit (but they are not original and yours is) I gave a lot more than 25 bucks for yours...The real stuff always cost more than re-pop. So I guess I feel better now....

26. Dennis the repop say it's 25"to 90".
    This one you got is 18" to 51-1/2". Looks like they got the measurements wrong on the repops.

bengeltiger likes this.
  27. Looking at he Bob Drake one better shows like a small ball tip at the end and if I recall yours did not have this. You might just have to make one so it will be period correct.

28. image.jpg Dennis it has the ball on tip just doesn't have the little bullet looking thing on bottom as in the drake cat. Who knows it it ever had one. All I know is it's done and and the car. I say job well done.

29. Now they will be popping up on everyone's car. Lol

30. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Thanks! Wonder if the wife got me a Christmas present yet? Hmmmm....