Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. image.jpg
    Hey tim, there was 2 holes already in each rod so I just used a tap and tapped them to 1/4-20 threads and put some Phillips head machine screws in to hold the p clips in. I don't know why the holes are there but figured I would use them for the clips.

2. I should of tapped them to 1/4-28 for even more thread count since the radius rods are not that thick. But they did tighten up real tight so they should be fine.

3. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Bruce,
    Those holes are where the brake rod supports were attached.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool, I was thinking about mounting some lines in a similar fashion and was curious if it was thick enough to tap :) thanks

5. image.jpg Wow I just looked back to the day march 13 2016 when I started this thread and I'm about 4 days away from my first test drive in ol hypersonic. El mirage runs nov-12-13 2016 and I will have the car and grandpa there for a day of history/fun, and a life time of memories. Nov 13 will be exactly 8 months from start to finish. Not bad for starting with just a bare frame to finding the original body and building one hell of a flat motor. Thanks to everyone who stayed interested.

6. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out if you were holding something, or if something horrible happened to your thumb. I think you're holding something... o_O

Either way, thanks for the head. It's been a hell of a ride watching this one come together. I'm sure there'll be more updates as the car gets dialled in. Looking forward to it!

7. Lol that's my buddy mark with the helmet on and that's a screwdriver by his thumb. We were making the plug wires in the picture. And I have him the helmet as we ride Harley's together. And yes I will keep posting more pictures as I dial her in.

timmy2times likes this.
  8. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Looking forward to seeing you and Elmer there, Bruce. Looks like I will be doing Inspections Friday.....

9. Hey brant well it's seems I'm a moron. I thought the hotrod reunion was in nov. So I missed it. It's only about 2 hours from me. I was just looking at it to see if it was the same weekend as el mirage. And then I seen it was last weekend.:( If you are willing to ship the fan I will pay for it. Please let me know as I could really use it. Thanks

timmy2times likes this.
  10. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Update...
    I'm finely finishing up the steering box and colume. Early on I was going to change to 34 worm and sector gears but I found a big crack in my 34 sector shaft. They are aftermarket and so that made me go back to my 32 gears. I have 2 32 and one cracked 34. One of my 32 is right hand drive so that does me no good. So I'm stuck one just one set of good 32 gears. Later down the road I will change over to 34 if I can find a good Henry set. I'm ALSO going to use the 34 steering shaft. It is one inch longer. That will in theory allow me to pull the steering colume up really tight to the firewall for the side shift trans forks to clear the head. Without having to re design the bottom of the colume. So the steering wheel also be 1 inch closer to the seat. I had it all mocked up and it works really well so now it's time to finish the rebuild on the box and stab it home for good. Just need to finish this and the front brake lines and it's time to run her up and down the street.

11. So I tried to follow Dennis lacys thread in his steering box rebuild but he used a big puller to pop off the worm gear and then used the same puller to put it back on. I don't have a puller that big so I went ol school and used a hydraulic press to push the gear off then I put it in my lathe and polished off the burrs. I went even more ol school and put the worm gear in the freezer over night and then hit the shaft with some heat and it only took a few taps with the hammer and piece of wood. I didn't heat it up red hot just alittle to tighten up the metal. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg All done.

Stogy and timmy2times like this.
  12. Couple more rain days and you will have this baby ready for a test ride & drive......You have done good on this build in a short amount of time. I can't wait to se it out on the street moving under it's own power..

timmy2times and paintslinger805 like this.
  13. image.jpg
    Me too Dennis. I got Cory over he's finishing the seat frame in wood and all the brackets we are making to original specs. Had to back it out of the garage alittle and put up a pop up because of this weird stuff falling from the air. I thinks it's called rain but it never rains in California. Only one awesome days like trog events.

timmy2times likes this.
  14. Hey Bruce - gotta ask, why were you shrinking the worm gear and heating up the shaft? Isn't that bass-akwards? I must be missing something - which is not unusual! LOL

bengeltiger and Runnin shine like this.
  15. Well the steering shaft wouldn't fit in my freezer. Lol so if figured as long as one hot and ones cold it should work. And it did every well. Not sure. I guess I just like to do things backwards.:D

16. Normally you want to increase the ID of the worm (so you heat it) and shrink the OD of the shaft - so you cool it.

But hey . . . sometimes backwards works just fine! LOL (Story of my life in some cases - I entered this world as a 'breech' baby. LOL).

paintslinger805 likes this.
  17. Sounds good to me Bruce, Tell Cory hello for me as I would have liked to said good by to him when I was there, but never seen him after Friday night cook out. Can't get over the rain you are getting as it never rains in SC......but I know this is wrong....like the pop up and the garage space you have now. You will have to post a photo of the seat when Cory gets it done.

18. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I was wondering the same thing, the fact that you got it together makes me worry it is too loose of a fit. is it just the interference fit that holds the pieces together?

19. No it's super tight. It's a pressed fit. I checked it with a small puller and I could of bent the small puller before it would of came back off. There is also a key way on the shaft. Maybe I just got lucky again...

20. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Seat frame is all done thanks to my brother Cory.

Stogy, RICH B, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

23. Way to go Cory....Nice job

24. For that right hand drive 32, do you have the steering box too, or just the worm and sector shaft?

25. I only have the rhd worm gear. I got a 32 box from a hamb member and he sent me a better steering shaft with the rhd worm gear on it. The shaft that was in the box had a smaller dia. Thread for the steering wheel. Like someone did a repair and welded it on so he sent me a good shaft to replace the bad one.

timmy2times likes this.
  26. Ah gotcha. I was going to say, I could use that RHD steering box for my next build.

27. Is there anyone going to el mirage nov-12-13. If so come by and check out hypersonic. Should be a good time...

28. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. image.jpg image.jpg
    Dennis I can't thank you enough for the 32 vent lid. That sucker is perfect. Looks as if it was the one from the car. Even matches the rusty vent handle I found in the pass. Door. Your the man. Thank you my friend. Now I just need a few pictures of the rest of the parts to make it work so I can fab it all up. I just have to make it work now. My grandpa filled his but I really like it. I guess if I ever put a fuel tank under the dash for hypersonic juice I will have to fill the vent at that point...:D Thanks Dennis.

RICH B and 19fuelie57 like this.
  30. Now that fit looks great.....Glad I could be of help. I will get around to sending the running light in a day or so. I just thought I might have an original spring for that vent. Wish I would have thought about that when I sent you the vent. I will check that out tomorrow. If you want my 2 cents don't ever fill the vent......That cool air coming in it is a gods saver when you are running down the road......and it is 98 to a 100 out there. Wish I had a vent in my roadster and I will put one in some day for sure.
    You are so right it looks like it came with the body.......Score one for me!!!!

19fuelie57 likes this.