Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Awesome Job, I can't believe how cool your grandpa is, he's wearing a Pendleton :cool:

paintslinger805 and Runnin shine like this.
  2. Thanks Bruce - it is meeting people like you, giving back what I've learned and comments like the above that make it worth it. Just knowing that you've transported your Grandpa back in time, gave him some fun things to look forward too and also deepened your relationship with him - how cool is that?. I can't imagine how he'll feel when both of you get to drive this car and be together in the front seat - now THAT is Fxxking priceless! Now get back there and get it ready for the road! HaHa!

jerseyboy likes this.
  3. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Its been an epic journey. I'm happy for both you and Grandpa!

4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bruce, my wife and I somehow ended on the beach at the precise location where Kevin was working. He asked how the Hell I got there. Anyway, to say the least, this has been the neatest day we have spent at a race. The only thing we have to do is meet you, Grandpaw, and Dennis,l and maybe some other HAMBers I have talked to. Gotta see you and Co. tomorrow. Gary and Joyce

paintslinger805 likes this.
  5. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

I've read every post, and the car is basically done. Next year without this self imposed schedule, the car will be in top shape. I can't wait to see it once all the little bugs are worked out.

6. Just got back from trog-west. Pretty rad. Max from H&H flatheads has one hell of a banger car. Haul ass he did. There was a belly tank that was just insane. Motor cycles were jammin. Great times. We got home and :DOh yea lite rain all day... image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Jet96, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  7. Gary I will send you a pm with my phone number call me and we can hook up.

8. Gary it's funny I was there all day and never seen Kevin till the very end we seen him riding in the back of a tub and I told Dennis well hell there goes Kevin right there. And then he gone....

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Yup, had been working since 6am after leaving at midnight from the campground duty, my dogs were tore and we were hungry, just returned from AJ Spurs, we needed some steak.

I'm really sorry that I missed ya both......it was a tough day, but fun. :);):D

timmy2times likes this.
  10. image.jpg Hey y'all I uploaded a video of the motor running around 2300 rpms as I was doing the first 20 min. Break in run. I have no clue how to get it posted here as I only have a stupid/smart phone. YouTube title is Bruce's running ford flathead. Go check it out.

timmy2times and Runnin shine like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

12. Thanks tim. I just put a part.2 if you could post that too tim thank you. Same name just add pt.2

13. Gramps has worn pendletons his hole life. He has a huge collection. Very rare to see him not in one.

ChuckleHead_Al likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I will if I get a chance before someone else :)

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

16. Sounding good - nice and clean out the exhaust . . . good breakin session. Fantastic achievement!

17. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Freakin' awesome! Love the look and thumbs up from grandpa. Maybe that'll give me a kick in the ass to finish up my father in laws coupe. Motors broken in, it's just everything else that needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

Bruce, I keep looking at that fan... Ive got the correct deuce fan for you... Not sure if you or someone from here is headed to the hot rod reunion.... If you'd like, I can bring it with me. It would find a better home on your car than in my shop.

Just let me know if you'd like it.

Brant

19. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

Paintslinger
    That flattie absolutely purrs!!!
    You and your Grandpa and your friends have done an amazing job in a very short time!!!
    Keep at it!!
    Dave

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. image.jpg image.jpg Grandpa wanted to tune the carbs says he may still have an old tuning tool for the mixture screws. Says it has a socket that goes over the screws with a flexible T handle to adjust.

21. image.jpg Here he is with the the guy that built this sprint car back in the forties. He's 90 and grandpa is 86. They talked racing for about a half hour. Bobby green now owns the sprint car.

22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I take it he must of had a hell of a weekend?
    I get all weird when revisiting things or places from my past of even 20 or 30 years ago. I can't even imagine firing up the smells, sights, and sounds of significance that sparked seventy years before.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Grandpa, me, 383 deuce Dennis, and Gary addcox. We had a great Sunday. It's been a blast with grandpa and to see and hear him talk about the way the motor is running is amazing. It's been a wild weekend. That's Gary's red duece he drove out from Texas. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

24. Where's the hot rod reunion at? If it's in Bakersfield I will meet you there. The fan would be nice to have thank you. I would like a fan that is closer to the radiator for better cooling

timmy2times likes this.
  25. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

Bruce, that's the one! I should be there on Wednesday for the weekend.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1476754893.276207.jpg

Look for my little orange digger, I'll be around some where. I'll also pm you my number.

Brant

26. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Hey Bruce, I made it out Friday night but got caught up helping on the Blue T that Justin and the guys brought out from San Diego, what an awesome event and I am glad I was there to spectate, but next year we can finally run if they let us in.........
    20160928_175657_resized.jpg

27. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool pics, Bruce. I was so glad to get to meet you guys and bench race. It was more fun jawing with y'all than seeing racing on Sunday. Absolutely the best time in California, actually the best time I have ever had with fellow rodders. Next time I see Ryan, I will shake his hand and thank him for creating this HAMB thing. Couldn't have been better, no shit. Surely hope the powers that be see fit to have another go at it next year. Grandpaw and I talked on the way to Big Bruce's house, and he talked about Colorado Blvd being THE place in his early days. Please tell him we "trolled" for races on Colorado Blvd. but didn't find any "victims". LOL. In fact, we stayed at the Comfort Suites at 2300 Colorado Blvd. REALLY enjoyed hearing the crack of that flatmotor. Again, thanks for the hospitality you all showed. Vaya con Dios, Amigos.

28. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Brake time. Whatcha all think good enough? Finish them all and straighten them, then blow them out and install my new wheel cylinders should be able to stop here in a few days. I haven't got much done in the last week. Had some health problems so today I'm feeling good enough to work on it for a few hours.

timmy2times likes this.

29. Glad to hear you are feeling better Bruce.....A little fine tuning on the lines and they will be fine. Every day it is getting closer to being a driver.....Can't wait for the day you and grandpaw take it out for that first drive down the road.....Take care of yourself, Dennis

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Out of curiosity how are you attaching the line clamps to the radius rods?