Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. image.jpg image.jpg Just waiting now for the last order of stuff from reds headers. Got a big weekend ahead of me. Hypersonic livesssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

4. DAM! Bruce I am as pumped up about how close you are to having this come to life as you. A person would think it is mine......Sure is looking good.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  5. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Well as You can see from my 1911 roto dial Heath O Meter this flywheel after I starved it for a week, lost around 15 pounds. Put in a pilot bearing instead of a brass bushing. You can see from the uncut flywheel how much better she looks skinny.... Now she can revvv up real nice. 6000 rpm maybe we will see.

timmy2times and Runnin shine like this.
  6. Oh yea by the way I tried 4 different bearing houses and none of them could get me a made in America bearing. I hate to say it boys but this country is done.

timmy2times and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. image.jpg image.jpg 1.6" Manley pro flow stainless valves. These are alittle different than those sodium filled valves of my grandpas days. I'm getting the :eek: feeling....

timmy2times likes this.
  8. image.jpg The machine shop installed threaded plugs in the crank. I'm just going over all their work. Mic' ing all bearing and crank to make sure my tolerances are there. Trying to finish my check up then I will put her together for good.

timmy2times and Flashback58 like this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Oh that's a crank? I didn't even recognize it. Guess I forgot what they are supposed to look like.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Ha yep 1cm 4" crank. I need those big ol weights to fling these light as hell Ross pistons up and down. Me and you Wyatt. Race of the low budgets. Are club can be the low budgets... With Dennis coming out for trog I guess I'm gonna half to leave California and head out mid west and see what you guys do for fun. See some corn growing and some flat lands with no mountains. That's even weird to think about no mountains... The only time I have never seen mountains around me is when I'm 70 miles out fishing for tuna in the ocean. What's that you ask whats an ocean, oh that's the big blue area on the globe that your weather comes from. And fish and some smoking hot mermaids. Get rad.... Surfs up brah...

timmy2times likes this.
  11. AULIZ

AULIZ

Not easy to find "made in USA" or "made in Germany" bearings.
    Schaffler Group (INA+FAG) has very much production in Germany, but they made there only bigger bearings. All this kind on Bulk stuff is coming from their own industry (South-Korea, China,,......). Same with SKF.

McGill was ok when made in USA. Now those come from China and quality is shit.
    Same with Timken. They are selling timken bearings here same price level like China shit bearings and those look like junk and in box or bearing is nothing text "made in USA" etc -> 100% china.

Good that we have smaller bearing manufacturers in Germany (IBC, HFB, Askubal, SLF, KRW,..) = good stuff.
    and most berings from japan are still made in japan (Ntn, Nsk, Nachi..)

That quide Bering in flywheel You have OK. I would use 2RS instead of 2ZZ . There is very much small dust in cluch.

Aulis

12. Well as far as a ocean goes Bruce we have none around here, but corn we have a shit pot full of it. Everywhere you look. Now mountains I have to drive about 700 miles west and then I am in the mountains.
    I really like what you have done to the flywheel and it should spin like a top. Plus my wife wants your 1911 scale....She said now that is cool!

paintslinger805 likes this.
  13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yep, HyperSonic is just like my shoes!
    [​IMG]
    Although it's easy to shoot yourself in the foot, turns out it's pretty hard to take a picture of it.lol

paintslinger805 and volvobrynk like this.
  14. Get rad!!! And you already are. Hell ya Wyatt you would fit right in here in California. Just got hide in Dennis's Bag and hide in the plane.

15. image.jpg image.jpg Well I hate to say it but she's going back to the machine shop. Seems their number don't match my triple checked numbers. I got .060 quench instead of .040 that I asked for and they even "said they had to mill the heads .030" looks like they owe me another .020 off. Plus not one set of rings have the same gap. The bearings all check out so I'm not sure if it was a have some beers with lunch day or what. One way or another they will get it right that's for sure.:mad:

timmy2times likes this.
  16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Are the rings matched per piston?
    Did they figure the gasket was going to squish?

17. image.jpg
    Yes Matt they knew what the head gasket size was. Or at least they had it there with them at the shop. And we did talk about it. The way I Check ring gap is in the cylinder. I put the ring in there and I use a piston to push it down into the cylinder so I know it's straight. Then I use feeler gauges. In this case like 5 different sets to make sure. The only thing is I used my kids playdoh instead of clay. I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not but I sure do know how to use a mic. Also look at this plug they put in the back of the motor where the cam and oil pump gear go's. It's sticking out about more then an 1/8 inch. There's no way the cover will fit. To me that's a rookie mistake and these guys are the best around.:confused::mad:

timmy2times likes this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

If you check a piston in the other side of the block it might be a different squish. Dale proved this in his engine build and had his block "corrected".

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    treb11 and paintslinger805 like this.
  19. Aulis I do have a nos ford pilot bushing that is stamped with the ford logo. I have read where guys were using bearings so I thought I might try one but it may seem you can't beat a good ol ford pilot bushing. So I might just knock out the bearing and use the nos ford pilot bushing. What do all you flatty guys think let's take a vote. Use the bearing or use the bushing????

timmy2times likes this.
  20. Yes Wyatt dale is my guru flatty master. This block has been zero decked to make sure both sides are equal. The drives side of a flatty is .040 taller. So one must deck it to make even. I payed 200 for this block and all the machine work was done by the last guy. Even my machine shop guys say who ever machined this motor was a master. It's stamped MAG 1955. On the water pump area. I have no idea if it's the name of a guy or a shop or what but it's really high end work in the matching, the ports are perfect as well as the relived area. Plus the hours of labor to lightin the flywheel. Top notch machinist who ever he is. The flywheel had Ruben printed on it. Does anybody know of a Ruben that worked at MAG in 1955. I don't even know what MAG stands for but you never know here on the hamb. I just wish my machine shop was as good as Ruben. When we took this motor apart we found a broken piston ring groove. Probably from the guy that put it together so that's why I'm anal about the ring gap. I'm using Ross pistons with metric rings. 1.5 top ring 1.5 second ring and a 3.0 oil ring. And right now I have 3 top rings the are correct and 5 that are not. None of the second rings are right and the biggest gap is .036. It's supposed to be .019. Top ring is supposed to be .016.

timmy2times and Runnin shine like this.
  21. So the second rings should have more end gap than the top rings to allow any blowby gasses passing the top rings to quickly escape to the crankcase. If the second ring gaps are set smaller than the top ring gaps, the engine may show less leak down under static conditions but at high speed the pressure may build up under the top ring and lift it, causing flutter. Engines don't run under static conditions!!! If I was building a blown or turbocharged motor, or nitrous motor with more than 30 horsepower per cylinder I would want at least .004 total added to the ring gaps but I can't live with over .017 end gap. Hell to me as of now this machine shop owes me a new set of rings. I hate the fact that I could of done it right myself in the first place but I have a business to run so to me time is money. I take full blame as I know I could of set the gaps to my liking. Just figured they knew what they were doing but my bad a good lesson learned.:mad::mad::mad:

22. Sorry to get all math nerd on ya.

Runnin shine likes this.
  23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Not nerd for me, this is my wheelhouse.
    Plus others here need to still learn this stuff.

24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I would wonder if playdoh expands after compression. I have always used plasticine. I always have some around as it works great for bedding rifles as epoxy doesn't stick to it.

.036 ring gap? Somebody asleep at the switch?

timmy2times and paintslinger805 like this.
  25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Oh and go with the pilot bearing. Bushings might be traditional but the bearing makes the shifting a little easier.

26. Yea Matt I was wondering the same thing about the playdoh. It seems when I smash it it tends to rise like bread. So I'm not gonna look dumb at the machine shop so I'm gonna get some real clay and see what that does.

27. Bruce, I am with you as it is looking like someone was asleep at the wheel at the machine shop or it was a Monday morning build and they had a rough weekend.....I am with you .....they owe you a new set of rings. This thing is going to run like a banshee....

28. Well I went down to machine shop today and showed them the three things so far I have found that is not right. They just agreed with me that I was right and they were wrong. They said they would have a new set of rings for me tomorrow. I called Ross and asked them about it and they said along with dale I was right and not to use the rings. Here's the BIG problem the pistons and rings are custom made. The rings have to be custom made to the pistons. It's going to take at least one week to remake them back in Wisconsin. Then shipping maybe 3-4 days. Trog now maybe be a dream. My pot has boiled over and the old me would have had a few new teeth for my necklace. My wife has a way of getting me to remember I'm not that young anymore and she don't like when I'm away....o_O So I had to play nice and just make them know that even know I don't own a machine shop I still was trained in the art of machining. I have very expensive tools and know how to read a dial bore gauge and mic's. It's a pretty good feeling proving a 40 year plus machinist that yes the younger kids that are into this can and will check up on their work and bust their ass when need be. Just sucks it's costing me a week or so of progress on this historic build with my grandpa. Total seal rings said two weeks for a set of rings. Lame.

29. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg So as I sit here today in this 98 degree California Weather I did take some time to install my new stromberg 48s new jets. They had .042 and I got .048 needed alittle more jet size to start with since I'm at sea level and it's hot as hell in California. I was watching the news this morning and seen there was flooding in the mid west and if any of y'all are in the flood zone my heart and prayers Go out to y'all. I put the new jets in while a few calm down cocktails and BBQ is on fire. It's a new day tomorrow and now I will have some time to finish some other things on hypersonic... Oh and yea and the old stromberg jet wrench was givin to me by the ol man from the hotrod shop I worked at for over ten years as well as all the rest of my early ford tools. You ol timers kick ass when you give up your knowledge and tools to us youngsters that will keep the history going. Keep it up and pass it on or it will be lost forever...........

30. Bruce, Could you have them over night the rings to you? I would spring for the shipping to help you out....

timmy2times and paintslinger805 like this.