Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Great story. Keep up the good work. Good health to your Grandpa and hope you get that '32 body.
    Take Care,
    Bill

2. Thanks ragtop. Body will come. If I can't find an original here soon I will be ordering a brookville. I would like to have an original one but most are to pricey anyway. I building this on a budget so I'm trying to get the chassis done so I can save up for the body. I would like to be able to take the chassis to L.A. Roadster show and slap the body straight down on it. Just need some more parts before I'm done with it. I still need to find some early edelbrock heads and a high rise dual intake. My grandpa ran edelbrok heads and intake with a smith cam and a Spaulding ignition. I don't think I will ever find a Spaulding ignition or a smith cam so I have a beefy Howard's cam I might use. Probly look for a harman ignition since I see them all the time. It would be awesome to find all the stuff he had but something's I know I will never get. Like a auburn dash. So I will do the fake one from SoCal. Thanks for watching and the comments.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  3. Keep looking as you never know when that one hard thing you never thought you would find will be laying in front of you......You just will need a lot of cash at hand.

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah, look how Fordgasser1 George just got all that not one, but two Ardun top ends!

5. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Update. Working on narrowing the pedal box so the 40 side shift trans fits. If you don't do this the side shift forks hit the pedal box and the trans won't even get close to bolting to the k member. Jimmy b posted a write up on how to do this from dec 1948 hot rod mag. I went a step up and left the bottom complete so I can still use all the original rivet holes. Then I will trim the top right corner so the shift forks don't hit. Trim up to fit then gas weld her back up. I should have this all wraped up by tomorrow night. One more ✅

6. Rotten

Rotten

Hey Bruce I remember you telling me a few years back about you learning of your grandfathers hot rodding history. It is great to see that you are making this happen. I am looking forward to watching the progress. Let me know if I can help.

7. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg We'll I think I found out why someone cut the top off the k member. A 35-36 trans mount fits perfect. Now do I still cut out k member and replace with my other one or should I just get a 35-36 mount.? Anybody got any ideas as to why someone would do that????

8. If you need a Brookville body try John. He usually has one in stock .

I love the story and your determination .

Kansas City
    State: Kansas
    Price: 9500.00
    I have a new Brookville body for sale with cowl vent,wood tack strip,stock door hinges,trunk handle,outside door handles Dash. New assembled by Brookville and in raw steel covered with a tarp and shrink wrapped. No way to ship. 9500.00 John 816 289 1983

9. I love this project! I have 2 16x4 steel wheels, one hubcap and a few beauty rings I would like to donate if you or a friend are passing through Ventura. It's gonna be a great day when Grandpa takes her for a spin!

10. I've seen a few K members with the tops cut out but most welded ears to the top and then bolted it back in. I thought it helped with motor/trans removal.

11. alchemy

alchemy

If you use a stock '32 K-member you'll have to pull the engine to remove the trans. If you keep the '36 mount you can pull the trans rearward for removal and leave the engine in place. Ingenious idea. But I'd probably add a bolt-on strap across the top to replace the strength that was removed from the K-member.

12. Yea will do that. I should of thought about that as iv heard guys talk about doing that before. My mind is in high gear so I'm over thinking the small things. I'm gonna have to pull back on the stick alittle and think before I post. I meant to say hey check out my k member all done and ready for a 35-36 trans mount. Sure makes pullin the trans out easy. thanks guys for the help. I think it will still be era correct huh????

13. Hey alchemy if someone was using a drop in mount what motor do you think they were using. The front motor mounts that are welded in are 20 and an 1/8 from center hole to center hole. My 49 merc motor the mounts are over 21 inches. Are the earlier motors skinnier. That's at the water pumps? Thanks for the help

14. alchemy

alchemy

Not sure what engine they were using. The old Hurst mounts usually had the same spacing as a '38-'48 Ford flathead, and Hurst made those mounts for a few dozen different engines. I think the later flathead's mounts were a touch wider, but I thought the '49 Merc pumps were narrow like the earlies. Could be wrong though. Probably need to measure to make sure the trans mount will be in the correct place for the engine you need to use. Might need to move it a bit forward or back, but it's still a good concept.

15. image.jpg
    Hey kiwi that would be cool. Are you lookin for any parts we can trade as I would feel bad for donated parts. I don't want everyone to think I'm doin this thread to find free parts. I got a 16 wire wheel and a 17inch wire id trade ya if your interested. It would just make me feel better inside if I got something you need also. If not I could give ya cash for em. Sorry if that sounds weird. I hope not to hurt anyone's feeling. Thanks again. Heres one of them I don't have a pic of the other.

16. I know how you feel, I'll take your old wheels for trade.

Runnin shine likes this.
  17. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

So cool! subscribing

18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JOHNNY Calloway was the owner of the Deuce of Spades.

exterminator likes this.
  19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

See Post 90 for explanation, The Character Johnny Calloway's Speed Shop is actually Cook's Machine Works/Cyclone Racing Equipment, The character inherited the DOS, while it was a 29 on deuce rails. the body was changed by Johnny and that's passing the torch to the son, similar to Paintslinger 805's grandfather passing his PRC Plaque and SCTA Timing Tags on to his grandson who is now building something for his grandfather and he to enjoy while he still can.
    Great thread guys!!!!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. I tried to watch this movie on you tube poor video I need to find a DVD. Hey cyclone Kev. Where I can I buy it.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  21. image.jpg Ok need some hamber help. My grandpa chromed his backing plates and front spreader bar. I would like to find some that were chromed long ago to show their age. I have a front left but need a right and front spreader bar. Please pm me if you have and would like to sell them thanks. I would by a matching pair if y'all got em. The one I have must of started rusting and someone blew some black paint in it. Once I get all the paint off it will look good.

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

going add some patina to the new Brookville body?

23. Hey joker, I'm not going to paint anything until I go check on a real Henry roadster body that iv been told about. I have google earthed the address and I can see it. Is it a Duece? I won't know till I get there. I was givin the name and address and was told it is a 32 so we will see. I'm gonna go check on soon. I will need to order the brookville by middle April to be able to pick it up at the Lars. If I can't get an original body I will be painting the body dark gray lacquer primer. That's how my gramps car was. On on the fence as to paint everything new and cherry or leave it all old and rusty. I own a automotive painting business so I can get down or say let it rust. Not sure yet. I know I can make it look old but then again it's a recreation and if he just chromed his spreader bar and backing plates then if I have it all chromed new like he did then it will still look as if he just did it. It's up in the air. Thanks

volvobrynk and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  24. exterminator

exterminator

Google Deuce of Spades for info on DVD.

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

First thing I do when I awake is reach for my phone(before even pulling the covers off my head) to check if this build has made any progress. It doesn't get more subscribed then that.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Hey me too. Lol I didn't work on her last night I have an acre of yard work to get done. Rain makes tall grass. Stupid rain. I don't know how y'all live in snow and rain all the time. Iv seen snow 2 times that's enough for me.

27. Take my word for it....SNOW SUCKS

28. How about a Howard f10 cam. Maybe go 3 3/8 bore pump it up alittle more than what grandpa had. Engine will go to machine shop in two weeks. Was there today and they are busy. Got to sonic test to see what we can do. Grandpa ran a smith cam and I have the specs so I might have this one ground to what he had.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. image.jpg image.jpg
    Hey saltracer I think I will have to do that as I cannot go to every swapmeet or spend every second on the computor looking for parts. Some hamb help would be very helpful. I would like to find an early intake and heads. Edelbrock. At least an intake I might just buy new heads so I I know they are good. I will put a list together soon. Thanks for any and all help.

Nailhead A-V8 and volvobrynk like this.
  30. saltracer219

saltracer219

Hey , no problem. I don't have much flathead stuff, but I do have a lot of other old Hot Rod parts and a lot of connections. When you post some of what you need I will try to find stuff for you. Swap meets are fun but do consume a lot of time and most times the venders have auction site prices on their stuff. Great build by the way, keep on doing what you are doing and the H.A.M.B. will help you.

volvobrynk likes this.