Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Well Bruce if ya win for the cheapest cool 32 roadster> Then I win for the cheapest cool 3 window as I have less than 25K in mine and it is real steel. Ha, Ha

2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm pretty confident that I'm going to come in at 15k. If the grill shell and A-pillars back were real 32 I'm sure it be 20. The good news is it won't be for sale

3. KKrod

KKrod

This looks like the dash. From back in the day. p123891_image_large.jpg

DylanHill1931, Jet96, Jeff34 and 4 others like this.
  4. Yes that's the 5 hole Stewart Warner panel and mines the 4 hole. Pretty rare I'm finding out.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Well if good fortune and karma turns you on to a reasonable Auburn dash down the road, you can hang that S/W panel on the garage wall and if a hoarder/collector sees it and wants to buy it you can say "Uh, NO, I won't sell it to someone as a display piece. I'll only let it go to a guy who REALLY needs it for his current traditional Hot Rod build.

The dash looks great and is period correct. You're smart to put your $ into the motor, as you'll never regret spending some extra coin on your mill. Dash would be an easy swap.

Face it, Grandpa had good taste in parts and it's working you now to replicate it decades later. Have you asked Gramps how he found the Auburn dash and if they were considered 'expensive' pieces then? I'm sure they were never that plentiful, and being sought after probably made them a high demand piece and a "stretch" for budgets even back then.

volvobrynk, paintslinger805 and Egor like this.
  6. image.jpg Just got home after 7 hour drive back from lake Mohave 4 days of vac/relaxing and jet ski's super tired and there was a box with the intake in it but just had to see what she looks like now and oh boy..... Huge big thanks to porkshop for helping me out with seeing it for sale on the hamb. It has three vac port hole that I will have my buddy tig up and age it back to look like it never happened. He builds 1900s Harley's and can repair cases so I know he can make this look perfect. I will be back to work in her tomorrow....

7. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Perfect, Glade I could help with the extra eyes........John

8. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

9. Egor

Egor

Looking pretty wild with those SCTA tags on the dash. I don't know if you have any idea how much you're build is affecting the rest of us. I've been making drawings of the roof line for mine, took a bunch of the high school kids that come around the house over to the storage lot where my trailer is; they wanted to see the car after l told them about you and your gramps. So now they want to get the car over here so they can help work on it, l don't have room so they start volunteering there dad's garage, Lol think they better check with dad. Now when l look at the car with the parts dad built and his ideas for what it should look like, makes it a little more special. Not many speed chasers left, l wonder if gramps talked to my dad and uncle. Thanks

Sent from my GT-P5210 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

If you fill the dash with those tags you won't have any room left for when ol' Elmer takes her to the lakes.
    Have you found any canvas to make a tonneau cover that matches the seat?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. image.jpg image.jpg Anybody got a rusty beat up grill shell I need one this one looks to good for this ol junk car???? Also I need a beat up original windshield and frame.

12. Anybody got a top I would really love to see this car with a top on. Please help out I will buy what you got even if it's not a compleat top. I can piece on together.

13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Are you gonna scuff it and primer it least? Maybe get your kids on it!

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

This car will be real special when your done. Its not even done yet and it has more soul than many cars that are already finished. Add that to all of your Grandfathers history, and its a 32, well..... like I said, the cars going to be special. I really don't need to say it, but keep it up!

volvobrynk and paintslinger805 like this.
  15. Nope not going to do any of that. Just going to get the motor done running stoping and racing. I'm taking my time with the tire size. I can make it look just as it did back in 1948 all nice and shiny or leave it alone and it will still look like his car but look like it sat out back of his house for 70 years and I got it made it run and now I'm driving it. It's automotive art if you ask me. Paint and body work can always be done later down the road. I'm just busting ass so grandpa can run her up out at the dry lakes. And trog is 2 months away.

16. Yea that's why I had to take out that really nice black firewall and put back the one that was in it when I got the body. I figured I better not mess with the soul of this car. That's why I need a better old crusty grill shell and crusty windshield, then she will be fine. And as far as keep at it, don't worry it's almost done. Now that the heads are done and the cam should be back anyday the machine shop with be able to finish. Then I will take a couple of days to put it together. Take my time and clean clean clean. If I can get it running and in the road by sep.11 I will be going to el mirage with grandpa. If not then trog in oct.

Stogy likes this.
  17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Hmm can you clean off the spread bombs with some lacquer thinner? They mess with the behind the barn vibe.

Just my two cents

18. Yes all that will be gone when it's done. Like I said before iv got some top secret stuff going on and the pics I post are old a couple of weeks old the deck lid won't have grey primer on it also. Don't worry dumprat if you don't like the way it looks millions of others do!!!

Runnin shine likes this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Dude... You have a OG 32 Ford Roadster!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

paintslinger805 likes this.
  20. I know huh!!!! I'm so popular now. Now if I can win the lotto I could have it all.

Egor likes this.
  21. HaHAHa ! Most of my hotrod dreams are also just a dollar and the right six numbers away!:D

bengeltiger and paintslinger805 like this.
  22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I like the fact that it is old and cool. I just wish the rat rod vibe would die

23. Well I guess you have to know the difference between a ratrod and a traditional hotrod. If I just pulled this car out of my grandpas garage after 70 years and it looked just like this it's still not a ratrod. A ratrod is a cut up pile of junk with a chevy motor for sure and any parts laying around. This car is a era correct roadster. Only the windshield and tires are newer. All the rest of parts on my car are older than 1949. Oh and the headers are new. But I can change those out when I find original ones later down the road. Iv had very highly respected guys in the hotrod world just loving this car when they see it, so that alone tells me all I need to know. The guys that get it love it and the ones that don't never will.

saltracer219 likes this.
  24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Sorry man. I know the difference. And have been into traditional cars since long before the Internet or patina cars. I am not being critical, I just don't see a car as done till it looks finished.

25. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Now I'm curious what you have planned for its appearance until paint.

26. image.jpg Well Gary / saltracer looks like I have met pat in pomona just found his card.

27. image.jpg Damn it's hard to keep secrets. image.jpg So I wanted to support cyclone speed equipment insted of the repo head guys. These heads are still made just like they were back in the 40s. Grandpa could of bought these back then and they would look the same as now. To find a old set of edelbroke heads and redo them is a gamble so I went with new old style cyclones. They look and are from the 40s so that's that. If you don't like oh well. Just sit back and keep dreaming while I do do do. Almost ready to take a ride.....

28. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

image.jpeg Dang, that's a nice set of aluminum!!!!!
    Does this Cyclone guy deliver??????
    I need a couple of sets for the "Waske Effect" and 64B. ;).
    Have fun with those Bruce!!!!!