Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. image.jpg
    Anybody know this pat guy with all the duplex gauges. Looks like I could use a new amp meter since mines broken. I didn't notice when I bought it but now I'm cleaning it up to in stall and seen it does not have a needle. And temp gauge has no sending unit...

2. F-head

F-head

Pat is a great guy
    he's a straight shooter
    Im sure he can help you

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Isnt he from Washington?

4. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

Over the last few days every morning before I walk out the door to go to work I've been checking out this thread. I've gone through every page, all I can say is it's amazing. If I had any of the stuff you were looking for I would send it to you but any hot rod stuff in this little dinky ass town just isn't around. Keep doing what you're doing and keep grandpa around for many more years!

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Interest in this build has surely faded away, lol.
    Now where's my damn parts and can I borrow the goats?

paintslinger805 likes this.
  6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Lots getting done behind the scenes ;). Goats are rented by the second :).

7. image.jpg Here's an update for y'all. Got my new potvin 3/8 cam sent to me and I opened the box up and two halfs came out. Lol the cam must of been scared of all the horsepower it was about to give me. Looks like the usps must of ran it over and snapped it. Box has tall tale signs of it. Also got the Ross pistons and they are fine, both shipped out on same day same place same time. Got the pistons on sat. And cam today. The box was thrown in my dirt flower box out front. It's so sad to see people just have no more pride in their work. The lame ass mail man was probly catchin Pokemon. So now we are set back untill we can get the new cam ground. I have to pull one out of a motor I have and get it shipped off to Washington. But something was bound to happen since this build has just been flying hypersonically. Like forest gump says shit happens!!! makes me sad to see this beautiful piece of cam art broken.

8. Damn Wyatt I got to get that stuff shipped out I'm looking like a flake. You will get it here shortly.

9. Now that sure does suck big time.....I sure would turn it in to there insurance co.

10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Crappy to hear about the cam. What grind are you going with? Lift etc?

11. Yea Dennis it was insured so I'm gonna go down first thing in morning and get that figured out. Who knows what kind of bull crap they will try and pull. Finger crossed they give a full refund of what it was insured for. It's a bummer but like I said shit happens. Iv been getting lucky left and right so it's ok. Just set me back alittle longer but I'm still in the race to the trog. Iv stayed up all night before to get cars done by a car show date, so it keeps me feeling young.

12. And I also owe a big huge thank you to porkshop. I was driving back from Southern California today and I checked my email and he said hey there is a edelbrock regular intake in the classifieds for 585. So as I was driving eating and emailing I locked down the deal. I'm shipping him the money tomorrow. Wooooo WOoooo

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Good luck with the insurance co. Hope it is not a big problem as it should not be in my eyes. Busted is busted anyway you look at it.
    Congrats on the intake score......Did CK tell ya I found him a box?

Cyclone Kevin and Runnin shine like this.
  14. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Glad it worked out........ The more eyes the better.......

15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Yup, Drag for sure!!!!!! Congrats on the intake and thx to Dennis, I have a box that may be on the way. ;). Yeah!!!!!

16. Jeff34

Jeff34

Sorry about the cam, but look at the bright side...for a cam to break like that, don't you think there might have been an inclusion or stress crack that was just dying to snap? If there was a weak spot, better to have the shipper break it in transit than have it break in the motor on startup...

17. You can cross "break in the cam" off your list of things to do during the engine rebuild... :D

Sucks to see. Hopefully they get you sorted out down at the post office and don't give you a run round. Make sure you take the box with you to show evidence of the damage to the box. Congrats on the intake!

18. Well I dropped off the pistons and my machine shop. Told them about the cam, and they said they have had them return from being ground, broke in half and even had lobes broke off in shipping. He said then they will not put a cam back in a motor without chucking up in a lathe and check it for straightness. He's had them come back and be bent, broken, missing lobes that broke off. So that makes me feel better. But while we wait for the new cam they are still going to keep working on the motor. Now with the pistons they can balance the motor so every thing else can still get done even the valve job then when the cam gets back all they will have to do is set the spring pressures and valves settings. I sent off the money for the intake so hopefully I will get it by next week. Thanks again porkshop for the heads up. Like iv said I'm not looking for free parts just need some help locating the parts and porkshop did just that. See what happens here when we all work together. I got some beers to buy at the trog for you hamb help me outers.

timmy2times likes this.
  19. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

That's a cool expression, "HAMB help me outers".

20. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

Why not call them "HHMO's"?

volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

And some cool lads too boot! The hood just got bigger

22. Not to sure about the HHMO's, but I like everyone helping out on this build in any way they can. That is what this hobby is all about. The guys that have out of this world stashes of cool old parts and will not part with them for anything less than big ass $$$$$$ just does not get it........!

birdog and Scott Mannion like this.
  23. I hate to say it but it makes me want to hoard parts just to keep them from the hoarders.

birdog, RICH B, Katuna and 1 other person like this.
  24. Now that is some funny shit right there Bruce

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Hey I'm all into getting rid of parts to help out now cause of select few influential dudes. We're talking about stuff that I know for a fact I could use a couple or few builds down the road. I sure as hell could get bigger and bigger money for it. But I can tell you all without hesitance that all though I've sold off a few things to help move my projects forward, the things I've gave away or not asked for much feels way better than the bigger money or seeing it in my garage. I don't have a big stash, I only started this traditional deal bout five years ago, and I do not have a lot of swap or show time under my belt, but helping out has been maybe the most true Hot Rod thing I've done, period

26. image.jpg Well I got the new cam out of a motor I bought just for the cam core to send back to my new hotrod flathead guru friend that was saving me some time on the fresh new potvin cam that broke. I bought the motor to send the cam up to Pete in Washington to replace the cam my flatty guru sent me so if any of you have any long snout 39-42 cam cores please sell them to me and help me out. I feel bad that the one I was sent was damaged in shipping and now my guru is out a cam. I would like to help replace it so come on here and get out in your stashes and help a brother out. Here's what they look like. Thanks y'all.

27. Damn Wyatt I wish there were a lot more true help me out hotrodders out there like you but it's sad disease this hoarding is. It kills me that all the good parts look better hanging on walls than on cars that are still rolling out there showing young kids what are American history is and why they might like nascar or Nhra. I think when a youngster sees a 30s hotrod and you got guys like cyclone Kevin that tell them open the door and hop in, that from that moment on they are always thinking about how cool that damn car was. Hell even a 10 year olds mind starts spinning when then sit behind a hotrods steering wheel. My son will be 16 in dec. and he's asking me if he can take his drivers test in hypersonic. I'm not sure that's going to happen but it might. I think the dmv guy will be scared to drive in it so it might just have to happen. I think if he can drive this car he should have no problem with all these new cars that drive them selfs huh? If all the older hotrod hoarders don't show, help, and teach the young guns, this history might come to an end.

28. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I'll check my stash Fri morning or Sat for a cam for you. I may have one. It's yours if I do.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Sorry Bruce, just went out and checked my stash. Most of my spare cams are 8BA but I had one still in a 59 block. Turned out to be a shorty.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. No problem, thanks for looking. I will find one here some I hope. I'm going to have to go surf the ford barn and convert over.:rolleyes::eek::)