Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

(6 ) 1/4 D. X 5/8 Lg. Flat Head Rivets
    or use
    (6)
    1/4 D X 1 Lg. 90 Deg. C'sk Head

they are .40 each

I just weld them in from the underneath side.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I hear you on the rivet front. Hence that's the reason that I wouldn't touch the cross members in my 1st ever Deuce Frame.
    That car has the rivets that was hammered in 84 yrs ago.

I know that Bruce and I are going for about the same period in time. The frame that I've started with would've been tossed back in the Hi Tech 80-90's as magazines were always pushing shop products.
    Sorry editors but I found the most messed up frame in existence, Bruce looked for and actually found one and then another.
    That second one is getting those rivets and I'm glad that you're sending me some, We'll make these Hot Rods Hot once again and perhaps pretty darn period correct.
    W/O your help these builds would be just that much harder. Thanx from me and I'm sure Bruce as well.

3. Well I came home today and my wife handed me a letter from my grandpa. He also included a check to help out and get it finished up. I'm to proud of a guy to ever ask him for money so to finish it faster I will use it as a loan and send him back any money i use. I can buy everthing tomorrow parts wise and have the motor done by middle of next month. The machine shop says they will put it top priority. I might post the letter he wrote if all you want to shed a tear. Now if I could get some help finding an edelbrock regular high rise intake and some original edelbrock block letter heads. Come help history out here I know someone has some. I pay I pay:D

4. Oh and let's not forget I need help with the finding of an auburn dash insert and gauges. I'm not looking for free just help finding them for sell.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. image.jpg Here's the letter. I hope he don't mind me posting it to the world but I think it's an important piece of this history puzzle. Got tissue?

6. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

You're a lucky man. Sure miss my G'pa.

7. Bruce........That note is PRICELESS

paintslinger805 and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Runnin shine, was it a hand-crafted beer you spilled ? If so, take two lug nuts and call me in the morning.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Elmer,
    Rocks!!!!!!!!!
    That's history right there my friend,
    Enjoy!!!!!!!

10. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would frame that letter for YOUR Grandkids to see someday. You are helping to make his golden years happier and more sustaining , and the great part is he is witnessing the build. I am SO envious of you. Matter of fact, I am envious of Cyclone, too ! Enjoy, boys. ENJOY ! !

11. Thanks Gary, it's pretty damn cool and I'm pretty damn proud I have got as far as I have in less than a year. I'm going to finish up the parts order today. I need to get the valve kit and bearing to the machine shop so they can finish up the block. The machine shop has a merc crank but it's already been ground ten ten. And they didn't grind it to the size of the bearings they just ground it to what the book says. I am having them put my bearings in the block and torqued down, then measure the bearing and have the crank ground to the specs I want on the bearings. Not just grind it to the book spec. I have been schooled by a flathead guru and I'm a great listener er er. I learn fast from guys that have been there and done this so together we are going to end up with one hell of a hotrod motor. I have a real nice 49 merc motor so I'm going to pull the crank out this weekend because I know it's std. Bearing size. I will measure it and see what we have to do. Basically this motor will be balanced and blue printed. I can't wait to hear her roar to life.

Cyclone Kevin and volvobrynk like this.
  12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Me too.

Remember videos for the not so silent stalkers.

13. Ok who sales the best wheel cylinders??? 1940 ford brakes. Mine are not rebuildable. Or does any one have a set that are rebuildable?????

14. 562roadster

562roadster

paintslinger805 and Runnin shine like this.
  15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

boy are we good at spending your money !

17. Your the guy that got my $250 32 radiator!!!! Before I could get it. Haha lol. Yea there is a reason why he keeps reposting those intakes 1000$!!!! Wow that's the over the rainbow price. And my momma don't let me send that much... I am watching them and if I don't peel one off a local hoader here Friday I might make an offer on one of those from that guy. Thanks for the heads up it's been a month or so since he has posted them. You had some good parts at the Lars makes me wonder what goodies you got that you didn't bring????

18. 140 buck is what a real one should cost. But I can't put no big ol billet dash in like that on this ol pig. A real auburn will find it's rightful owner. She's 84 and she's in my garage her name is hypersonic. And you mr. Auburn can't say anything about her age because you are just as old...

19. If I had a financial advisor like a few of you id be broke holding up a sign begging for beer money.:D:D

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Hey Volvo I will be posting a lot of videos as the heart starts to beat. I already have told my wife about how i want her to shoot the burnout with grandpa in it. Maybe her in the middle of the doughnut. With grandpa smiling his ass off, saying weeeeeeeeeeeee.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. image.jpg Happy happy happy joy joy joy.....
    First round of parts showed up today. Engine bearings and ARP main studs, and connecting rod nuts. Hopefully my NOS 8ba ford rods will be here tomorrow. If you know somebody who knows somebody who robbed the French you can still get nos ford flathead parts.:D:D American frys.:eek:

22. image.jpg This is a neat book I picked up in pomona at the LA roadster show. I think I gave a buck for it I was walking around after a few cocktails when I bought it. I'm gonna have to get me one if those sweet jackets.:rolleyes:

DylanHill1931 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Lou Baney would've loved you for that. ;). Great buy on that book!!!!

Should I do an alternate nose like that for Clem's roadster go change it up for the track look?

24. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

come on Kevin.
    You already have the track nose, and
    You know you want to run it!!!!!

Just do it.......after you get it done with the sectioned 32 grill, just like Pat Lash did with his roadster.

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I have to do it as Clem's 29, but may down the line look into being able to swap a nose and add a nerf bar on a whim.
    I like the nose A's, so it's always been cool to see different versions.
    We'll see??????? Great post guys it makes one think.

26. greaser

greaser

Bruce,
    Grampa's letter is very special, and confirms what we have realized for some time now... you come from good stock.
    It would be great to have Grampa help put the engine in, and also be involved when it comes to life! Thanks for telling the story. It don't get any better than this!

27. Greaser, I have been thinking about building the motor down at my grandpas house and putting it in there but I have to tow the car 3-30 hours there so we will see. It would make great history to see my grandpa involved in a part of his life that was long ago and he never would of thought that 60+ years later he would have a 32 roadster again built as if it was his same car from the late forties. I have these ideas in my head as to when I'm putting the motor together him saying to me, I see you doing that why maybe do this or try that or back in my engine days I use to do this. I might even ask him if I can go down and clear a spot in his garage to keep the car down there during the motor build stage. The
    Machine shop will have the motor for at least 3 more weeks so that gives me enough time to make sure everything else on the car is ready to go. That way we can start her up break in the cam and do all the adjusting to make her purr like a lion and take her for a little spin.

greaser likes this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

What's the header and exhaust situation looking like right now? And the gas tank? Gonna need these things run Bruce. Then again many a maiden voyage been taken with red gas can and open exhaust through the years.

29. image.jpg
    Gas tanks in. I got to take it back out and weld up a few pin holes. Exhaust I'm working on this weekend. I have a friend that has a muffler shop style huge pipe machine that he bought out of a retiring muffler shop. Gas tank is og.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Nice rear shot there ;). More and progress daily= Congrats!!!!!!