Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

I can relate I am also a body and paint guy. Everyone I work on my stupid car I shake my head and say I need to blow it apart. But then I get in it now and fire it up and I am as happy as can be! Every car is different tho and it needs to be what you want it to be!

2. Yea I found the holy grail. Indiana jones is my brother. Jumped on the back of a unicorn with a lucky rabbits foot and a four leaf clover. The unicorn was riding a magic carpet with a pot of gold on it.... Word to the wise follow all leads, oh I seen this or I heard his got or long time ago I seen it over there.. You never know I still can't belive it. You also are a lucky one cuz your car is crazy cool. You have hotrod history as I am trying to make history. And I know if I get it running and driving I might not take it apart for along time to finish paint work. I will be to busy driving it.

Scott Mannion likes this.
  3. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

This is the best thread ever! I had to go back to the start and check that it's only been about ten weeks since you first posted the thread. I think what you're doing is brilliant. I also think it would make an excellent feel-good movie - I have been moved to tears, happiness, worry (when you were unsure if you were being sold the body), relief and happiness when you brought it home. I am now looking forward, hopefully, to the happy ending!
    I wish I could do something to help or had parts you need, but all I can do is send you and your Grandpa all the best wishes. Also, to all the people who have got behind you and helped and supported this - you're the best!:)

greaser and Runnin shine like this.
  4. Thanks Scott. It's been an unbelievable ride so far. Amazing I should say. I find myself just starring at it with just a blank mind. My mind is spinning so fast that at times it crashes like a hard drive. I told my wife 5 years ago before I took my grandpa to the prc picnic that I wanted to recreate his car and she said well then do it. So after the bosses ok I started my search. That's when I realized the 32hoarder thing. Money didn't matter I kept getting the oh I have that part but I can't get rid of it because one day..... So I got fed up and stopped trying. It's still happening today... Iv been lucky enough to get this far. One day last year I was on the hamb on mike mcnatts prc pictures thread and cyclone Kevin said something about us meeting at the picnic so I pm him or he pm me I can't remember. He gave me his number and I called him one day and we talked for hours. He jump started my mind again about the recreation. So after that it was game on. He was the only one that was really into it so I would find something and call him. He just kept saying keep goin you will get there. Most of the calls I think he was in disbelief of what I found and the price just saying are you kidding me this guy is on fire. I think he is just as happy as I am. So I have to say to you Kevin thanks for the support and most of all for returning my calls. I have called others but I guess their not interested in helping out unless they can make money off me. LoL that's why I feel I have gottin this far in just alittle over a year. If the hoarders don't want to help out with some parts then they can keep staring at them hangin on their walls and I will keep staring at my original bodied 32 roadster. It will be easier for me to ONE DAY find the part I need, then for them to one day find a real roadster. Oopss didn't I already say I wasn't gonna talk about the hoarders anymore. I'm sorry. I'm gonna work on her for the hole three day weekend so stay tuned for some wows;)

5. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Great great story.
    I just pulled my trans out for a floor shifter... if you need anything from it let me know.
    Tuned in.

6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thank You Bruce,
    With all that you're doing to make this happen, I'm glad that you keep going at light speed!!!!! You seeing what I've done without a bunch of $'s and being resourceful can make a build happen and be a bunch of fun. I know that we spoke of the many pitfalls that one can encounter when attempting the type of build that one takes on like this especially when one is after all original parts. image.jpg
    You always have me in awe when you find that next elusive part…. All I can say is that I can't wait to see what you come up with next. So stay tuned everybody, This is a build like they used to be done by finding stuff and building a Hot Rod that Elmer will definitely be very proud of.

Your pal,
    Cyclone Kevin

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Scott Mannion, Drewfus and Stovebolt like this.
  7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Come on dash panel and Auburn insert!
    I attended a wedding at the Auburn museum last year. I wish I knew then. None of the cars there looked like they needed them for anything nearly as important as this. Hoarders
    I try, although it's hard to live by the mantra... You can't take it with ya.

8. image.jpg image.jpg
    You mean an auburn dash like this. Ready for trog inspection....

9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

When did you get the panel?!!

10. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Today is rear end day. It's a 40 out of a good running car. They changed it out for a Columbia 2 speed. It's been sitting so I'm going to put all new seals in and brand new press in shackle bushings. I don't like the looks of the easy bolt in shackle bushings. It's gonna be fun trying to put the seals all the way down in the axel tubes since I don't have a tool to do that. I'm gonna make some phone calls to see if I can find a seal insert tool. If not I will spend some time fabricating one up.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Yesterday in the mail 4000 but I have to have it to make the built correct...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. image.jpg Even found a made in USA gasket set. And it's the best

Drewfus, volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  13. Keep it going Bruce as it is really starting to get interesting. How about an up-dated list of parts you still need?

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah, X 2.
    I'm sure I've got to have some more parts around here burning a hole in my pocket.

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I don't see an Auburn panel...just a cardboard copy :confused:

Moriarity and Speedy Canuck like this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah but that one only cost 4k.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  17. hey Dennis are you ready for Lars yet...
    I worked all day on her. Getting the rear end ready to bolt back in. Ran into a few problems so I am now going a different direction. I will show and explain tomorrow. As far as parts still needed....
    1 roadster seat... Just one
    Passenger original roadster door
    Passenger door inside handle and rod/strap that gos to the door latch.
    Rumble seat deck lid handle with lock.
    Radiator
    Front spreader bar
    Auburn dash
    Gauges that fit auburn dash.
    Gauge sending units
    Original hood hold downs need 3 I gave runnin shine one of mine since he had 3 and I had 2. Now he has a set and I don't have to have a hood on to drive it so I figured I would find them at the Lars and help him have a full set and his car needs the hood on to have the look he is going for. Helping each other out is traditional hot rodding I don't think you pushed your own car off the starting lines out at the dry lakes huh?
    A 9/34 speedometer gear housing that two bolts to the top of the torque tube for the speedo cable. I have a 9/37 or what ever the 4-11 one is I cant remember the number. I can trade the one I have for the one I need.
    The wood part of the floor.
    Edelbrock regular intake or a edelbrock slingshot intake.
    1 into 2 early fuel block.
    32 pedal pads
    And that's it. With all that I will have a really close recreation of my grandpas car. Only about 15-20 more parts. WOW almost done.

18. It's a cardburn very rare dash. It's the very first one ever made from this one they made metal ones.:p:D

3wLarry likes this.
  19. I can't imagine paying more for a auburn dash then I did for the body;):rolleyes::D Something is wrong here....

20. Bruce, do you have the Chev taillights?

21. Bruce I have an original wood floor out of a 32, but for the life of me I can not recall if it came out of a roadster, sedan or coupe. I will just have to take a photo and send to you unless you have a photo of what you need.
    If it will work for you it is yours....I can put it in the bones trailer and bring it out with us to the LARS.
    YES I am getting pumped about making the trip in the 3 window......

Runnin shine likes this.
  22. Oh yea thanks jimmy. I also need a set of 41 chevy tail lights

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I thought you sent me a PM about getting a intake and 2 Stromberg 48s from a HAMB boy? What happened?
    I have a new set of the common speedway type early diamond tread pads for my pickup. They are not the true 32 style if you look on the back. I want the cast iron of steel originals on Runnin Shine. I'll mail em out if you want'm? And are you sure you don't want my drilled 40 backing plates?

24. I may have some smaller parts you need like the taillights & oil pressure gauge (Auburn), postage is the biggest hurdle. Pm me and we can talk more.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    paintslinger805 likes this.
  25. Dennis I'm bringing the car so you can always bring the floor and we can see if it will fit at the la roadster show. We should start a side bet on the most money I'm offered for it over the weekend. I know there will be some...
    it's a super duel. I'm still gonna get it and run it but I have to off set the generator. I want to run the 48s and later down the road use them on a high rise if I find one. Everyone wants like 800+ just for the intake. I'm just throwing it there about the other two.

26. Well I heading out for the west coast kustoms car show, swap meet. See what I can find for the ol girl. Maybe nothing maybe something.....

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Ya never know what you might find.....GOOD LUCK

28. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg We'll swap meet was a bust. I got one more swap meet tomorrow. I only bought a couple of things. I have a secret banger build hidden deep down inside me..

29. image.jpg Here's a 27 chevy roadster for 500 bucks.

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  30. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg A few cars from the show. What a beautiful 51 ford crest liner steering wheel. I want one so bad for my 49 ford .