Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Grand Touring with a vintage Hot Rod...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TTR, Sep 20, 2017.

1. I wish to apologize about my "other (irrelevant?) ramblings" to all who follow this thread for its intended and titled purpose, i.e. traveling with vintage Hot rod.
    I'll try to to stay more focused and steer other commentary elsewhere.

2. I always enjoy seeing people take their old cars on long trips and adventures.
    It's always fun to spot another one on the road.
    Touring in an old car is so cool. Ever since I started driving. At first it was forced by economics, then it became so much fun I couldn't give it up.
    My kids grew up with cool old cars as the "family car"
    They got a kick out of the thumbs up signs we got as we drove.
    My grown kids still have a great time talking about the interesting excursions we took.
    I am so thankful we had all those adventures when the kids were growing, and the old car stories we can now enjoy.
    Wise or not wise, I have never been afraid to take off cross country with almost any old car.
    I agree, an old cool car certainly makes the difference between an ordinary trip or a really special adventure.

Any time I had a new or late model to drive, it just bugged the hell out of me that I wasn't in my old cool stuff.

When my kids come in from places around the country and we gather together for Christmas, you bet I'll show up in one of my Studebakers :)

why be ordinary?

b-bop, Jet96 and cactus1 like this.
  3. Few more from Yellowstone...
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

... thought, the next two are technically already outside the West Entrance...
    image.jpeg

... and this one shows the only other pre-war car we encountered on the road during 2 weeks and 2700+ miles. Parked across the street you can see a model T Roadster with Texas plates.
    Soon after taking this shot and waiting at a next traffic signal for the green, a couple walking across the street in front of us, both with their thumbs up. We waved and the gentelman pointed toward the "T" yelling it being theirs. I yelled back, asking if they've driven it from Texas, which made them both laugh, shake their heads & him to reply "trailered". I offered them my thump high up as I was taking off due to now green light.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Tim, tinsled, Okie Pete and 10 others like this.
  4. You're not by chance in/from Riverside, CA ?
    The reason I'm asking is that there's couple here in town that have a bunch of Studebakers and they use them pretty much as daily drivers. Hers is a cool two-tone '57(?) Station Wagon.

lo c dan likes this.
  5. On the return way back to south....

At the "Craters of the Moon". One of my favorite "Where's Waldo" shots or should I call it "Houston, we found the Rover !"
    image.jpeg

Some roadside attractions:
    image.jpeg

These are getting rarer. Fuel pump with analog display, but no card reader, plug-n-play audio/video/TV with touch-screen cappuccino/wine dispenser apps for enhanced fuel stop experience.
    Talk about pre-historic. How boring filling up must've been in the dark ages.
    image.jpeg

That's Bill Harrah's old stomping ground down there.
    This is one of the roads near Virginia City where I did some "honing" of my hill climb skills while she was holding her camera up/forward (on video mode) with her eyes closed and screaming. Good times, but I'm yet to see any of that footage.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    lo c dan, tinsled, Okie Pete and 10 others like this.
  6. Eastern side of the California Sierras...

June Lake Loop, in late July ! Notice the snowy glaciers !!
    image.jpeg

Heading up to Whitney Portal.
    Lone Pine & Alabama Hills (Google for movie filming history references) down below in the background.
    Across the valley, White Mountains, but well get to those later in story of another trip from couple of years ago. Cool stuff there too.
    image.jpeg

!!! Although, I had hoped to see one or more (in the wild!), didn't see any during this entire trip. That was a bummer :(
    image.jpeg

Another cool vintage (1923) Hotel with a lot of "Hollywood" history due to nearby Alabama Hills.
    I've stayed there couple of years ago while on another vintage Hot Rod trip with an actor friend visting from Europe. Stayed in "William Boyd" room.
    image.jpeg
    After 2756 miles...
    image.jpeg

... proof that shit happens, even to insects.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    lo c dan, Jet96, Hamtown Al and 14 others like this.
  7. Great trip! Thanks for taking time to write about it. Hope to hear about more Grand Touring Adventures!

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Priceless. Road trips are the best in old iron. It ain't for everyone - and it's a package deal - take the good with the bad. The hot rod is cool and all don't get me wrong, real cool - the fact that you've got a gal willing to co-pilot is the clincher. Lucky you, pal. Must be livin' right!

tinsled and Hombre like this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Great pics, and great looking car! I love the lines of that Mopar.

Re bear sightings, I've seen my share of bears and I would count any venture into bear country with no bear sightings as a good thing. I never need to see another one, those things make the hair on my neck stand up.

Stogy, LBCD and Hombre like this.
  10. Thanks, to all !
    My pleasure, but I too would like to read "adventures" or even lesser trips with vintage cars and Hot Rods, especially pre-war kind.

I hope anyone (all of you ?) considering contributing understands that their input doesn't have to be anything like Hemingway novels or even to extent of my "Yellowstone" story.
    Even just few lines accompanied by cool location photo or two would make great read.

And while at it, I for one would be very interested to read about any actual driving impressions of different types of vintage cars and again, they don't need to be anything like Road & Track test drives, just few lines offering some insight to given car in it's "natural habitat", on the road.

I've been involved with vintage cars by building, driving, repairing and restoring them and their components as hobbyist and professional for close to 4 decades now and have worked on all kinds of vehicles from 1902 Autocar or 1906 Holsman to even brand new Ferraris or M-Bs, but still have a passion for most them, especially for older (carbureted era) vintage.

Just remember, if no one contributes, this will be yet another thread eventually falling into oblivion.

tinsled, Stogy, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  11. Yeah, there were couple of very early am (sunrise) hikes on this trip requiring some serious effort to convince the wife to join me with.
    I kept telling her that I'll do my best to distract it/them or even led them to attack me, if needed, while she could escape and have a great story to tell. I even made her learn to drive the Roadster prior to this trip in case something like that were to happen. :D

Blues4U and Hombre like this.
  12. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Thanks for the ride, great story.

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I noticed once on a road trip looking for a place to lay my head, all the (free) national forest camping areas were closed "Due To Bear Activity", but amazingly just a few hundred yards away, the fee-charging national forest campgrounds were open for business. No bear trouble there. Not a big deal but it's amazing how smart them Bears are. They won't attack campers who fork over $18 a night to rent a picnic table.

firstinsteele and Jet96 like this.
  14. Bare pockets. LOL

Truck64 likes this.
  15. thall

thall
    from nc

Wonderful story! Enjoyed!

After 2756 miles...
    I see the spare tires were still mounted... that's good.
    Other 'data'.... fuel usage, etc....

16. As mentioned, new (bias ply) tires were bought and mounted week before the trip and one of each size old ones with about 5 years, 15K+ miles on them (+/- 20 % thread left) were taken along, just in case. No tire chances or sevices needed.

Fuel consumption: 11 Gallon tank, which I fill-up with 9-10 gal's on average every 140-150 miles (you can do the math), but I don't keep a tally on $$s, but if someone wants to do the math they might calculate by using average price during latter half of July within 6 southwestern States.

Engine oil consumption: A big surprise at only 3 pints total, expected a lot worse, not so much due to "consumption" but mainly because the engine rebuilt nearly 30 years ago appears to leak a lot.

And other than small carburation misbehavior peridically present at higher altitudes.

No cooling issues, mainly thanks to new straight fin custom designed/-fitted/-made radiator by Brass Works in Paso Robles, CA.
    Few week after receiving & intalling it I was traveling through the area and stopped by with couple large boxes of donuts and soft drinks. I told the owner and the crew involved making mine that if it cooled any better, I need reconsider my coolant mix so that I won't freeze the block while driving through Central Coast of California in August weather !! :D

Overall car drives and handles much better than its appearance might suggest, comfortably driveable at 75-80 mph with plenty more in reserve.

b-bop, Hot Rod Nut and TFoch like this.
  17. atch

atch

At 15 mpg and average price of $2.50/gallon it works out to $460 +/-.

Really don't know what the average price was, so it it's higher/lower adjust accordingly.

18. deep in the midwest
    only visiting cali and other places.

why be ordinary?

19. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

That picture reminded me of this sign I had before Hershey P1010077 (3).JPG

Okie Pete, biggeorge and Hombre like this.
  20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have joined the ranks of "Line Chasing"----Welcome to my 300,000 mile club! 1972 trip to Detroit Nats.jpg 1975 Memphis T- shirt & belt buckle 001.jpg

Attached Files:

Jet96, tinsled, Okie Pete and 7 others like this.
  21. WOW ! Just WOW !!
    If all that, dear Sir, is with a single vintage car, let alone a Hot Rod, I'm not sure I even dare to consider myself a real "vintage car guy", let alone a Hot Rodder.

I've managed to rack up similar mileage with all the vintage cars I've driven since granted that privilege nearly 3 decades ago, but my best single (vintage) car record so far has been around 70K and it took 20 years to achieve.

Damn, I need to quit all this interweb stuff, maybe even stop working for living and start driving my cars to earn some street cred.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  22. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Thanks for posting your travel story !

:cool:

23. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Hmmm wonder I'd a BW R 10 or R 7 overdrive would fit behind your engine? Do you know the year of your trans?

24. If you mean mine, it's a combination of '49 & '52 Dodge Truck 3-spd followed by '51 Dodge Car rear end (w/about 3.5 final drive), but I'm very content with it "as is".

While the OD is interesting to ponder in general, either for some other application or for some one elses preference, my car is set-up perfectly for my driving, without one.

For example, during hill climb type exorcises (one of my favorite type driving with it), I rarely need to use anything other than 2nd. At highway speeds of 70-80 MPH, the feel & sound of the car on 3rd seems "Just Right" and when traveling I'm usually not in a hurry for speeds beyond posted limits.

And attempting to "improve" fuel mileage on a vehicle & use such as this, I think is a bit of a moot point.

If anything, I wouldn't mind having a limited slip & maybe try a 3.23 final, but since these weren't offered by Chrysler until '57, unfortunately in my case they're out of the question.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    tinsled and jerseyboy like this.
  25. Just pulled the Roadster out and had to laugh. Still haven't washed it since above trip. Have done one 500+ mile trip and couple of day drives since. Although getting started little late today, heading out right now for some mountain carving with over 5000ft elevation changes and couple hours of hiking at 6000+ft altitude....

Jet96, cactus1 and elgringo71 like this.
  26. ... great day again.
    While not quite G.T. driving experience, I spent most of it enjoying two of my few favorite passtimes.

One, driving up, around and down on some of best nearby mountain roads in a vintage car (my Roadster) and two, while up in the mountains (above 6000ft.), parked & spent few hours hiking up & down a fairly rugged & steep, 2.5 -3 mile long switchback mountain trail with about 1500ft. elevation change.

Only managed to rack up about 120 miles, but at least majority were on exiting mountain roads.

Now, to make it even better, I think a sushi dinner followed by a cigar and single malt scotch for desert is in order.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    lo c dan, Jet96, tinsled and 4 others like this.
  27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

We did a 200 mile jaunt today. Attended a cruise in, flying, pancake breakfast event in Sidney, NY. Our route comprised, NY Rt 80, NY rt 8, and a couple county routes. Rt 80 is a favorite of mine with blind curves, several sections of "S's" some rolling hills, sections of creek following, and some nice scenery. We returned via Rt 8, Rt 12, 12b, and US 20, with a stop at the Good Nature Brewstead for a flight of hop pop. Good day, sunshine, and about 400 cars to check out. We were accompanied by friends in their 51 Plymouth Cambridge two door sdn.

Stogy and TTR like this.
  28. Fitting end for a great day.
    (Image from few years ago, but you get the idea...)
    image.png

29. LBCD

LBCD

the lookout.jpg
    I took a little tour yesterday with Blues4U...135 miles Long Beach to Lake Elsinore via PCH to Ortega Hwy...Hope to do another one soon!

jnaki, tinsled, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  30. Pictures from the route ?