Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Grand Touring with a vintage Hot Rod...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TTR, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Cool thread! Love your car too! I'd love to take the rod out on a road trip, but so far the wife is not agreeable to that. I'm looking to get something else as a road car, something bigger yet still traditional.

2. RussTee

RussTee

I love threads like this because living in another part of the world it gives me a chance to see America as it is the little backroads the real people and not just the big cities. Well done.

3. I don't think there's a regulation yet requiring to take ones wife, or anyone for that matter, along for the ride, be it long or short... ...I do most of mine alone or in the company of likeminded friends.
    One recently even commented something about if forced to choose he'd rather get rid of the wife than his cars... ...and knowing this guy, I believed him. His wife probably does too :eek:

b-bop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi TTR.Great thread.Thanks for posting.Keep us updated as you are able.The by ways are a lot more fun.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Keep the updates coming and what an amazing trip so far !!!

6. Does the altimeter need to be adjusted for the change in barometric pressure each day?

Phil

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. It does have adjustable barometer scale on the inner dial face, but after setting both dials on "average" for Riverside, CA soon after acquisition, I haven't done any daily "fine tuning".
    Just like my Roadster, I only use it for fun & (novelty of) general reference to check elevation changes while driving or hiking up in the mountains, not aviation or other critical operations.
    I just like all kinds of cool old practical(?) stuff.

b-bop, slv63 and Hombre like this.
  8. phat rat

phat rat

Congrats! That's a great trip. I did 8K in a month in my cpe back in 06, but that was enclosed not open. My wife did first half of the trip but didn't want any part of the second half as that was Sacramento Ca to Tampa Fl in 3 days, before heading home

Hombre likes this.
  9. Approaching Grand Tetons...
    image.jpeg

Gravel road to...
    image.jpeg

... a trailhead for hiking around Two Ocean Lake
    image.jpeg

Jackson Lake & Grand Tetons
    image.jpeg

On Hwy 191 somewhere near Yellowstone South Entrance
    image.jpeg

JR West, lo c dan, Jet96 and 14 others like this.
  10. elgringo71

elgringo71

Your pictures make me smile. I have done a Coast to coast road trip when I wasn't in a hurry and it was fantastic. Some day I will do it in a vintage car.

Hombre likes this.
  11. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

Love this thread !!! There is nothing greater than touring in a hot rod !!! Keep the pics and stories coming..... PLEASE !!!!

slv63 likes this.
  12. 18n57

18n57

Very enjoyable posts! I've seen that stretch of the Snake River, too..Safe travels and Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

13. thall

thall
    from nc

sub'd.. thank you!!

14. Very cool, I'm enjoying this. Thanks!

15. Care to share more details ?

That 3 day drive was no small feat, Sir.
    I've done few similar long haul drives in vintage cars myself, quickest being with a '60 Chrysler I had bought, IIRC, for $120.00 about a week before from some "old guy" living in a 14ft. travel trailer behind a gas station on the outskirts of Hemet, CA.
    Quickly performed a full fluid service, tune-up and put set of new tires on the car before take-off.
    It took me about 54-55 hrs to drive from Hemet to Baltimore, MD.
    Flew back immediately. The round-trip took little over 68 hrs, but that was over 30 years ago.

16. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

While not Grand Touring, we have taken nearly annual trips in our 46 Plymouth business coupe. From just outside of Syracuse, NY we have driven to Charlotte, NC 1500 mile round trip with about 400 miles of touring in the Charlotte area. Been to Detroit twice about 1200 total miles per trip, to Alexandria, Va. Apx 900 miles all included, Belfast, Maine 1200 miles all in, StJohnsbury,Vt. 800 miles, couple trips to Massachusetts at about 700 miles each, Planning on another Detroit trip next summer and a trip to Chattanooga in the fall. The only failure was a broken fan belt on the way to Virginia, and a near over heat incident at the border checkpoint in Niagara Falls.

We try as much as possible to stay off interstates and toll roads. Slow down, enjoy the sights, and avoid fast food chains. We have discovered that golf courses offer a good alternative for lunches. Not over crowded, reasonably priced, and while not like diners with 20 page menus, enough variety to suffice.

We have found the coupe provides us with a nice driving, reliable and a pretty much all weather vehicle to see America. Is it just a coincidence that the long distance cars have so far been MoPaRs??

17. I apologize for deviating, again, from our Yellowstone story, but still trying to keep within the subject matter of Grand Touring.

Here's a proof that traveling with vintage Hot Rods may not always be just fun and good times. Occasionally (but not too often ?) even old Plymouth Roadsters may require some old fashion "road-side repairs".
    Photo taken few years ago in Carmel, CA (mid-August, close to 100* F) during an attempt to remedy broken/loose rear shock mount bracket fabricated/installed (by yours truly) 25+ years and tens of thousands of miles earlier.
    Although the repair turned out good enough to ignore the issue for another year and couple of more trips, one couldn't help at the time but think about the need for learning to fabricate/make things last better than that.
    The entire upper shock mount support system has since been completely re-engineered and fabricated from scratch with hopes of improved longevity, but only time will tell.
    So far, it's been couple of years and 5K+ miles...

IMG_1644.jpg

b-bop, biggeorge, 61Cruiser and 3 others like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hell yeah man! Gotta go back and read threw this all when I get a chance!

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thank you for sharing your trip, enjoy!

20. Thanks for sharing !
    I think your trips more than qualify for the theme of Grand Touring.
    It's also great to read you do them periodically and hopefully continue in that tradition, including scenic routes.

I also have a penchant for good food, to a point some friends have even accused me of being a "food snob", but I just can't or won't eat crappy (junk)food. I ate plenty of it when younger, but learned there's no need.
    It's my mouth, stomach and especially if I'm to pay for it, I want it to be good or better yet, great meal made with fresh and tasty ingredients.
    Plus, whenever available I like to try different ethnic or exotic foods/meals I haven't had before.
    Call me adventurous, but I believe my life is too short and my money too precious to spend either otherwise.

I hear you about MoPars, but must admit I'm a bit bias.
    Most of the vintage cars I've owned for extended periods, including current stable, have been MoPars, but I do have plenty of friends who travel fairly extensively with their vintage cars, which most are some "other" makes. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    61Cruiser, Johnboy34 and tomkelly88 like this.
  21. Great story! I'd love to take my 33 Chevy out to Yellowstone and that part of the country. That would be a trip of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing and I love the pics.

22. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Our plan to go to Chattanooga next fall it to participate in the Walter P Chrysler Club annual meet in early September. Hope to have an OD installed by then. Maybe a spot for it on your calendar. All mopars welcomed.

23. Well, if somehow combined with the potential to-from driving to HRHC and couple of other events I'm considering attending to (including one in New York !!!) in that timeframe, it certainly would elevate the trip to "Grander" level of Touring !

Hmm..., all I have to do now is to figure out how to or who's going to pay for it all.
    Man, I wish life was easier ...

61Cruiser and AHotRod like this.
  24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Some where in Virginia.
    [​IMG]

Jet96, biggeorge, slv63 and 4 others like this.
  26. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Where is the event in NY?

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wow! What an adventure!

29. In the "Finger Lakes region of upstate N.Y."
    Non-H.A.M.B. type Car Club event held annually in different parts of North America.
    Usually, not open to public.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  30. Hombre likes this.