Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grand National Roadster Show Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sean72, Jan 20, 2006.

1. sean72

sean72

OK fellas, it was a beautiful day in So Cal. Clear blue skys and about mid 70's. Just got back from the show, so here are a few pics.

Sean

Attached Files:

2. sean72

sean72

more...

Attached Files:

3. sean72

sean72

And a few more, I'll save the Boyd and Foose type cars for you guys a little later.

Sean

Attached Files:

4. ALLISON

ALLISON

any pics of this car?

Attached Files:

• RT.GIF
      RT.GIF
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:

5. If I'm not mistaken the lil truck with the surfboard belongs to Billy Gibbon. Saw him take delivery at Louisville, or so I thought.

6. evilgenius

evilgenius

jeff, saw your work in TRJ.. good stuff

7. sean72

sean72

Here you go Jeff.

And yes that's Gibbons car.

Sean

Attached Files:

8. ALLISON

ALLISON

Thanks, thats my buddy from Canada. last week it was down here in Spokane in about a million pieces at my other buddys shop, Extreme. I hadn't seen it done yet!

Oh. and thanks for the art praise, I try.

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

I went to the show about ten years ago and really enjoyed it. A lot of neat iron in one place.

10. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Going tommorrow,Trying not to look but I can't help it!

11. barefoot

barefoot

Nice photos, but them moving this Nor Cal show down south still pisses me off.

But we do have the SF Rod,Custom,and Motorcycle show, so I should not be too bitter.

Looks like some of the same cars from up here.

12. sean72

sean72

BTT for the night crew.

Sean

13. bcarlson

bcarlson

No, you don't try... you DO! :) You do some good work Jeff.

Ben

14. Go'in tommorow, thanks for the tease.

Cant wait,

CBB

15. I was just about to say they musta hauled ass straight from here to LA following the San Francisco bash last week!!

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

I really like the black "Hop Up" magazine car, we bumped into the frame builder of it, his son is on here as "Hot Rod Drummer" really nice to have met him last week up here.

:D

16. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

I KNOW I will catch some for saying this, but it was quite obvious to me and others I overheard in the "Suede room" that certain cars in that room had absolutely NO business being there. That monstrosity I saw at the mooneyes show and some other poor representations of low buck types of cars were there. I think it sets the traditional side of our hobby up for more comparisons to the "rat rod" ( I cringe when I have to use that word) trend, and invites more scrutiny by law enforcement and safety nazis. :mad:

17. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Those 2 58 Impalas put my jaw on the floor.....anymore pics of them?

Thanks for sharing!

18. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like our HAMB brother made it.
    Keith Kaucher (retrofire) made it to the show with his '54 Vicky

Kongrats the car looks great!!!!

Happy Trails,

Mick

Attached Files:

19. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

DITTO!

20. DollaBill

DollaBill

Bud...

Don't want to hijack this post, but I have to put in my $.02, here...

I couldn't agree with you more. I haven't been to the GNR, but I did go to the Cow Palace last weekend...and the "suede" thing has become a license for REALLY bad cars being granted legitimacy.

Forget the toilet tank air cleaners (yes, I saw one) and the tacked-together bodies and chassis with 3/8" gaps, yet to be welded...it's the creeping lack of workmanship and "anything goes" philosophy that makes me cringe.

Sure...the argument can be made that folks are pushing the envelope...after all, hot rods are exactly that...too loud, too low, too much of everything...but the law of diminishing returns begins to apply when you throw any semblance of common sense out the window.

A couple things, in particular, make me nuts. No front brakes, copper or red plastic fuel lines, no e-brake, no seat belts...and the perpetual "reverse Ackerman" that is SO common on suicide front suspension cars.

"Death rods", "Cartoon cars"...hell, I am building one, so I submit that my opinions are entirely subjective...but even those fringe cars can, and should, be built as cohesive, engineered automobiles. There is NO merit in tossing engineering and workmanship out the window in the interest of style. REAL style happens when you successfully build your vision, and it works, in ALL respects.

I agree with you..."rat rod" and "suede" are anethma to this hobby. Fringe, edgy, I can get behind. But junk is junk.

My apologies for converting a great pic post to an editorial forum.

21. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

the suede roadster (in the thumb nails atatched to this quote) is a body built car called the ratster!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Cool cars...thanks for posting.

23. Bud, the reason you're seeing so many POS cars in the "suede" or "garage built" sections is because they'll let anyone with 50 or 60 bucks park thier cars in these areas, it used to be something to have a car in the GNRS, or Sacto Autorama, back when you had to be invited to show your car in these shows, now it's all about the dollar, that's why the GNRS is in Pomona now, more people in the general vicinity=more $$$. It's kind of sad that what was once a very prestigious event has been reduced to the new version of World Of Wheels.

Skip

Oh yeah, how's the roadster comin?

24. plan9

plan9

great pics - im heading over tommorow, looking foward to seeing the Gooch/Rodriguez coupe

bud, luke, dolla - just one word, "agreed"

25. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Is this the blue car when it was in bare metal

Attached Files:

26. Am I the only one who thinks this looks like what happens when you park your Kaiser Manhattan next to a Karman Ghia? And they make a baby?

27. mikes51

mikes51

I thought it was a Karmen Ghia when I saw the photo of the actual car. The rendering has a mild, subtle chop, which doesn't look like a VW to me. The actual car top is just a bit too high and has that Karmen Ghia proportion though.

28. Does anybody have pics of the Bell Crankshaft car ? Heard it was making it's restored debut this weekend.

Thanks, Johnnie.

29. sean72

sean72

Here's a few more pics for Rat.

Sean

Attached Files:

30. sean72

sean72

Here you go Johnnie.

Sean

Attached Files: