Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Grand National Roadster Show (Part 1)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SVT2888, Feb 4, 2011.

1. SVT2888

SVT2888
    from Bell, CA

Last Friday I payed a visit to the historic Grand National Roadster Show, which for the past couple of years has been held at the Pomona Fairplex. This is the show that signals to all hotrodders and customizers that the show season has begun. People from all over the world and all walks of life attend this event to gaze at the amazing cars which turn up year after year.

This is my second year attending this show and first year attending this show with a Media Pass and I loved it! The quality of cars is top notch. I also enjoyed getting to take a stroll at the NHRA Museum, while I waited for the Press Conference to start. I was definitely the youngest person in attendance at the press conference, but I didn't mind. For the most part everyone was pretty friendly, even if I'm not what I would consider real media.

The press conference not only notified us about what was going on that weekend and with up coming shows, but also spurred up a topic of conversation which is "Where are all the young people in the hot rodding and customizing scene?" It's a topic which Mike from Speedhunters.com and I talked about a good bit while we walked around the show. Another topic which was discussed is "Why was it cool back then to swap parts amongst different cars in order to make something custom, but now it's considered preposterous?" I would really like to hear what you guys have to say about those two topics.

Also, I'd like to mention that CNCpics.com has been overwhelmed by its popularity recently. We are now receiving on average something in the order of 200,000 image request per day. This of course is overwhelming our server and costing Max dearly since we aren't really a money making venture. We volunteer our time and money in order to bring these images to you, the car enthusiast public. Therefore, we are trying something new this week and would like to know what you guys think about it. We are going back to being hosted instead of having our own server. We are using a trial version of SmugMug right now and if you guys like it we will keep it, if not we'll have to figure something else out in order to keep CNCpics up and running.

But enough of the jibberjabber, on to the picks of the pics:

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

2. SVT2888

SVT2888
    from Bell, CA

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

3. SVT2888

SVT2888
    from Bell, CA

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

4. SVT2888

SVT2888
    from Bell, CA

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG].[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures. This is just part 1 from the Grand National Roadster Show. I decided to split it up in two since there are so many pictures.

Thanks,

-Leo

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Great collection of images and very well done. That pic of Coby's van really shows just how nice the paintwork on that thing is. It's like a mirror!!!

6. SVT2888

SVT2888
    from Bell, CA

Thanks, I how you guys enjoy the pics.

I did the best I could with 1hr worth of sleep..:eek:

7. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

wow! nice coverage!

8. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Fantastic photos! Thank you for taking the time and care to share them on the H.A.M.B. Your efforts are very much appreciated.

9. Great pics! This was my first time attending the GNRS, and wont be the last. I had a great time.

10. badshifter

badshifter

Nice pics, thanks. And hey, I built that!

[​IMG]

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a great batch of photos and they give us another different look at the cars in the show, thanks.

12. Although this is the HAMB and we are a very narrow minded bunch.... i think this batch of photos probably gives the best idea of the total scope of the show. nice work.

13. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Awesome job!!!...thanks for sharing them!:cool:

14. SVT2888

SVT2888
    from Bell, CA

Thanks! That's usually what I set out to do when I cover an event. I like to give people the best idea of what goes on at these shows. I don't just focus on one thing. My ADD really pays off in these instances. :p

The day after GNRS I was at Cars and Coffee, drooling over some classic Benzes and a BMW M1. Then after leaving that show I went to a Packard show and drooled over those.

My taste in cars is VERY varied.

15. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Great pics. Thanks for posting.

16. SVT2888

SVT2888
    from Bell, CA

Awesome! Can you tell us the story behind it? I really want to know.

Also, I'd greatly appreciate it if the guys here at HAMB would answer some of the questions I posed.

17. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Feeling is mutual! My first time attending and hopefully many more to come. The GNRS is a must for any traditional Hot-Rodder or custom guy. Very inspirational and I hope to build on the experience!!!