Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Grand National Roadster Show 2016

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Hueso, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Well, we are a little less than two months away from the start of the Grand National Roadster Show for this year(January 29th-31st). As the anticipation builds I thought I would throw this thread out there to get some questions answered, see who's attending, and to help people put some plans together for this year.

Does anybody know of any HAMB builds or HAMBer built cars that will be showing at GNRS or competing for America's Most Beautiful Roadster(AMBR)? What is the theme for this year, also known as the the featured exhibit? (in past years, Century of Speed, 1932 Ford, etc.) From what I remember the featured exhibit was always in building 9. Does anybody know of any open houses for this year? In years past that I've attended I know Old Crow Speed Shop, Vintage Hammer Garage, and SoCal Speed Shop have all had open houses, plus in 2013 a Dice Magazine issue release party. Does anybody know of any other events that will be happening this week in the area? Lastly, who of you will be attending this year and/or will be vending this year?

2. Building 9 will exhibit Southern California Timing Association "Quest for Speed".

OL 55 and Dean Lowe like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd just like to be able to go to this one. It would be easy to convince my wife to take a trip to LA but this year I need to work at getting the bills paid off so I can retire so I can play next year.

4. Perfect! I can't get enough of land speed racing and I'm sure the SCTA will do it justice.

Where are your priorities???

5. I'll be going, brother, son and grandson in tow.....last year w killed some time at the early ford store....that was just a piece of heaven for me....

6. I'm going for my 1st time in Pamona, attended the show in Oakland many a time with my dad years ago. Going to be a blast!!!

7. Don't forget the open house at Walden Speed Shop!

Dave

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you just wanted to blast out and back for the weekend what days would be best? Open house tours Friday, show Saturday? Airfair for two and some walking around money is all we'd need, got a place to stay all lined up. Is it totally different than LARS? Bob

9. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

I plan on making my first trip there this year. Whats the best place to stay?

10. Any idea what day Walden Speed Shop is having their open house?

11. I can't answer all of your questions, but I know SoCal usually has their open house on Thursday. So I would try to get there by Thursday. The show starts around noon on Friday. Before the show opens we usually check out the NHRA Museum(it's part of the same complex) in the morning & then hit the show when they open the doors. Friday is a great day for checking it all out, as there isn't nearly as many people there as there are on the weekend. Then on Saturday we usually hit a couple more buildings we haven't seen yet & just hang out. It's tough to take it all in on one day.

12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

When you are in the area, don't forget the Petersen Museum will be open by then, (Dec. 7th). Don't miss it!

13. I will be there walking around on Saturday. I think you guys are confusing the open houses. Walden's and So-Cal are during LA Roadster show not this show in January.

14. Well I've put my mouth before my brain once again! In the excitement of looking forward to the trip once again, I was remembering how enjoyable it was to go through Walden.. Of course the open house is during LARS, not GNRS! We have imposed on the good folks at Walden in January too - so don't write them off as a destination. Sorry for the mis-info.!

Dave

15. Dead right Ron! My mistake!!

Dave

16. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

never been before but have pondered it. i see they mention vendors on the actual site, is there a lot of that stuff or any swap meet stuff associated?

17. No swap meet vendors at the GNRS.

18. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

My favorite show of the season-love going to this one!

19. 562roadster

562roadster

Im working on my 33 coupe for the show. Hoping to get some time and post a build thread on here

George

Brujo29 likes this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is one large building with cars and vendors at the LA Roadster Show in June, how many buildings of this size does the GNRS fill? Bob

21. The GNRS show fills all 9 of the buildings at the Pomona Fairplex! I can't see it all in one day. I do the drive in show outdoors on Saturday and Sunday. It's solid cars around the buildings Sat & Sun. One day? NOPE!

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Dean! Sounds like there are more cars than at the LARS event. I could check this off my "Bucket List" for about one thousand dollars. Bob

23. Dean's right, tough to do in one day. There is usually 450 to 500 cars in competition plus the special exhibit cars (SCTA this year, and Suede Palace) then add 500 to 700 cars that drive in on Saturday & Sunday, have your walkin' shoes on.

Mick

24. Or the battery charged up on your scooter!!

25. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I go all three days , and sometimes even that's not enough .

26. Stoker32

Stoker32
    from so cal

we'll be having an "All Day" Open house on the thursday before the show. If anybody is in town stop by and see us. we've got some cool projects going on, including an AMBR contender for next year.

I'll be making a post about this later, but here's the info

Stoker's Hot Rod Factory
    1663 west 9th street
    upland ca 91786

OLSKOOL32 and Pewsplace like this.
  27. Last year we stayed at " Home Suites" in Chino, short distance to drive to the GNRS, I'm sure others are close, but the staff at HS are great, you get a kitchen as well, I found it very inexpensive and I got a better rate being USN retired

28. The crew at East Bay Speed and Custom and the Himsl brothers are debuting the restoration of Mickey's Mouse this year.

IMG_9975.jpg

falcongeorge and Brujo29 like this.
  29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm hoping to do the drive in on Saturday, Sunday I'll have a blues jam to host. Maybe I'll get there for Friday afternoon too.