Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Grand National Roadster—No

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Jan 22, 2021.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Grand National Roadster—No

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    BLAKE, badshifter, Moondog13 and 9 others like this.
  2. Glad I got to debut my coupe in the Suade Palace before all hell broke loose and we have no shows at all. Sure missing not being at GNRS or LA Roadster shows.

Lil32, mctim64, curbspeed and 5 others like this.
  3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I think what I miss most is not seeing my friends. They live all over the world and it's the only time I see them.

Lil32, sproadster30, mctim64 and 2 others like this.
  4. finn

finn

Was a great show, my first one, and something that’s been on my bucket list since I was 16 in 1967.

Unfortunately, I suspect that Pomona is where I contracted the virus which shall go unnamed. Hopefully we’ll be through this by next year and I can make this an annual event for at least the next ten years.

Lil32, chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good post man.
    385CE83D-F55C-406E-A7F9-C2C1878D525B.jpeg On an unrelated note I noticed in one of your photos what appears to be a cast radiator outlet offset.

ive seen plenty fabricated and lots of S shaped hoses but never one cast with a name on it.

anyone have any idea what it is? Who made/makes them?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. I have seen them but am drawing a blank!

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  7. I had lunch with a friend from Illinois and a friend from SoCal on Friday of GNRS last year. After lunch we went to the show together.
    I sure miss seeing my car buddies at the events that are being postponed.

Great photo collection from 2020 GNRS, Joey.

8. Harley1x

Harley1x

It’s been a tradition with my buddies for over 10 years. Hopefully it will back by sooner than later.

Lil32 likes this.
  9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    The Great Steve Stanford?? Doing a little dottle??

Jeem, Lil32, Ranchero59 and 8 others like this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've watched him draw full on car portraits at a car show... with hundreds of people walking around and many of them stopping for minutes at a time to peak over his shoulder and watch him work. I don't know how the hell he does that... I can't even take a piss if there is someone standing at the urinal next to me.

11. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

I'll miss going this year. It's always a good mid-winter break.
    100_1378.jpg 100_1499.jpg 100_2485.jpg 100_7511.jpg 100_7434.jpg IMG_3342.JPG IMG_7649.JPG

12. This was the highlight of 2020 for me. Sure am going to miss not being able to go this year.

The fella doing the art is Deven Hitchens

Blues4U, Lil32, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  13. First time I've missed in years. Nothing like leaving the Kansas City airport in January with the temp a little above zero and a few hours later landing in 60+ degrees weather, drinking a beer on the pier in a tshirt. Checking out all of the shops, shaking your head at all of the traffic, spending hours on end admiring all of the cars and talking with new and old friends. As the week slips by in the blink of an eye you start thinking what you should be doing when you get back home in the shop. See ya next year........

Lil32, Just Gary, slug and 3 others like this.
  14. 5window

5window

Yeah, but in his case, he's using a pencil. :)

Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Too young to be Steve, Deven Hitchins is a great artist in his own right.

Mick

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  16. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Although I have lived in CA for a few years never been to this show, but I did get a chance to look at a 1957 Chevy that was in the GNRS show (he was from NH). That car was perfect in many ways but to most of the people at the event show very little interest, just will show you the quality of the cars that enter into that show.

Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Jarek Thompson

Jarek Thompson

01706E56-51A7-4CEA-A695-F013856D9BA3.jpeg Hopefully I’ll make it with this car next year:

Lil32, Just Gary, fauj and 1 other person like this.
  18. La Paloma has amazing food, had dinner there in 2018 with Lynn Bird and Jim Aust, best Mexican food I have had.
    Spewing I can't get back to USA this year but it is what it is. Hope to be back in 2022, maybe '23.

Lil32, fauj, 39ChevyBob and 1 other person like this.
  19. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. Thanks for the photos. Snowman

Lil32, chryslerfan55 and pprather like this.
  20. It was a highlight for me as well. Nothing else was except maybe Havasu Deuce Days. Neat setting. Slated for March 4-6th this year.

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea even for those of us who’ve never been we’re missing it. One the highlights of the HAMB every year is vicariously cruising all the buildings and lots through the eyes of Tom Davison and others, and enjoying all the banter over AMBR contenders, as well as diving deep into some of the back stories. Damn.

Blues4U, 1940Willys, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  22. I was just reminiscing about past shows on another site, I too am glad I made it last year, It's always about the people for me. GNRS and LARS are the opportunity for me to see friends that I would otherwise not have a chance to see, it's almost other worldly. I was hoping it would happen this year even if it was in May but alas we wait another 12 months (God willing this is not still going on) I will be there as will all my favorite people and life will have order once again. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20160128_205026.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty cool. Even a rank amateur like me recognizes Isky and Blackie.

Blues4U, jim snow and Just Gary like this.
  24. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

I and my wife take a trip in January for our anniversary. For several years it has been GNRS then travel around and see some Cali sites (national parks and such). Last year my job had us in Phoenix for auctions week, we did not make it to the GNRS. My wife and I are setting here staring at each other. Really miss my GNRS trip disguised as an anniversary trip. Thanks for the great pictures.

pprather likes this.
  25. NelsonN

NelsonN

I walked in see my friend Jeff and his Bernie Couch built 32 Roadster a ton of history in that hot Rod and boy it is a small world.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. "...there hasn’t been a major indoor car show since the Grand National Roadster Show last January."

Except for that little show in Detroit where they hand out the Riddler....
    Feb 28 - Mar 1 2020.
    Chappy

Tman likes this.
  27. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Went with my dad last year for his 70th birthday. I am so glad we went. It was an incredible time, if it wasn't for Rona screwing the whole world up we would have gone back this year.

pprather likes this.
  28. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Here we go again, what the Heck. Here in New York, can't get the inoculation Distributed!

29. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

You had me at, La Paloma.

30. And minor outdoor events like Sturgis, only a half million folks show up for that one.