Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Grabowski's Kookie T Questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MannyK, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Im looking for some details on Norms T such as its wheelbase,
    if it was channeled and if so how much,
    how the hell he got the rear end of the car so high up,
    and wheel and tire sizes.

I would get in touch with VonFranco, but i assume he is sick and tired of getting questions about his T,,, any help guys? Thanks

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I would be surprised if Von Franko refused to help you. He sure bugged Grabowski a lot when he was building his Klone. You need to get the Bible's Car Craft April and August 1957. I see them on ebay all the time. The wheelbase was/is 96" on the Kookie Kar version according to the mag. The early Lightnin Bug version I'm sure was 101" because it had an early diff. with the spring right over the axle. He jacked up the back with a steel plate he made. Probably channelled 3or 4 inches in front. I've been told the April '57 Car Craft pictures are almost a perfect 1/32"to one.

SANY0058.jpg SANY0049.jpg
    Me and Von Franko early '90s
    SANY0026.jpg SANY0026-2.jpg SANY0025.jpg SANY0025-3.jpg SANY0024-2.jpg SANY0023.jpg SANY0022.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    LOU WELLS, kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  3. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

When did he build the car that had a laid back grill that is painted the same way? I don't remember the car but recently saw a signed picture in an antique shop in Oklahoma City.
    Thanks
    Jack

4. Wow thanks Steel Rebel, great pics and info.
    I did message Von Franco about the car, however the last time he was seen on the hamb was 2013. Hopefully he will see my message.

5. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

It's guys like steel rebel that do so much to help a fellow Hamber, that makes the H.A.M.B. such a great site.

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Franco is around, like you said not on the HAMB lately. John LeBell owns the Franco clone, there have been a number of articles in SR but my library is now gone.

7. Okay i did some research, The replica has a 98" wheelbase. It uses a Model A frame, Z'd stock Model A rear crossmember, custom round tube suicide front crossmember, bulldog perch, and a spacer for the rake

I wonder how the T body fit on the Model A frame. and exactly what the spacers were

8. Is it possible to get that kind of rake from a T Chassis?

9. Hey Steel,, any pics of your bucket and how you got the stance? Not as tall as Norm's but it sure is sitting high in the rear!!

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Dave I enjoy the HAMB and try to give back.

Manny I;m not sure if the Kookie Kar's A frame was Zed. I built my own frame but guys have been putting T bodies on A frames for ever so they must fit pretty good.

What are doing Manny and what do you have as far as parts so far?

11. As far as parts... i have a 331 Cadillac engine and a dream. Im really trying to get a sense of the parts i need and difficulty of the project before i go out and get a T body. I was thinking of getting a fiberglass body but the beds on all the ones i see are mounted too low.

12. If i can get any info on your frame/ rear end set up and how you got it sitting high that would be lovely,, dont want to bother you though

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Call Tommy Ivo..He made the first clone..:rolleyes:

4ever18, volvobrynk and MannyK like this.
  14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Well Manny you have a long way to go. A few more pictures of my car. You need to go to Needs Luvers Chip's thread, de uglifing thread and read it all.

SANY0092.jpg DSCN0006.jpg SANY0092.jpg IMG_0147.jpg SANY0033.jpg DSCN2271.jpg DSCN0019.jpg

LOU WELLS, kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  15. Thanks SteelRebel!!

16. Nobey

Nobey

Johnnie Overbay built one about six years ago, and did a fantastic job on it.
    Saw it at Blackies last Autorama, and talked to Johnnie for a couple of hours.
    Lots of specs on the build at this site. This one has a chevrolet steering box,
    but the original had a milk truck box. Rich....

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/1005sr-1922-ford-t-bucket/

17. Anyone else have hard facts or a how to of sorts to get the rear of a T up so high? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424313653.915276.jpg

LOU WELLS and kiwijeff like this.
  18. mushmouth

mushmouth
    from Minnesota

The Rodders journal issue #36 might help out.

19. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Check out Craglist in San Diego for my old Kookie Kar, It's for sale and would save you a lot of time by just changing afew things. Just a thought . RIP Norn

20. DrJ

DrJ

That club plaque is hiding a huge lift block like used by off roaders with really long U bolts.

21. I couldn't find it on Craigslist. Do you have a link? I most likely cannot afford a purchase like that at the moment but I would be very interested in hearing the details on how you build your suspension and got it to sit so high

22. Do you mean something like this?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424318391.195358.jpg
    Obviously this if for a late model pickup but mabye it can be adapted
    Where would this mount on a bucket anyways?

23. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Sorry about that, it was there last week, he called me to see if I wanted to buy it back. I'll look tomorrow and find my build pictures and send them to you. Good luck on your build.

24. DrJ

DrJ

same idea but norm-made and I think chromed. memory is going....

25. Thanks!!

26. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! Manny, stop spinning your wheels and get in contact with Johnnie at "Reno Rod Shop" ([email protected] ) (405) 813-1932. Johnnie spent a lot of time and money collecting resource materials in order to get the details right. As for the spacer on the rear end, it's just a big chromed loop of steel...

Attached Files:

Ed Frazier likes this.
  27. Wow so that spacer was bracketed between what looks to be the high arch leafspring and frame? Do do you know the height of that spacer? Thanks for the help.

28. I just sent him an email asking about the specifics. Thank You!

29. Aha! Found a picture where I can see the spacer. Now it's just down to figuring out the leaf spring set up ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424325593.367091.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424325603.294680.jpg

Ed Frazier and LOU WELLS like this.
  30. muscarello

muscarello

Anybody know who did the finned oil filter housing?
    Thanks in advance.