Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GPS speedometer

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jim Hewitt, May 2, 2022.

1. Jim Hewitt

Jim Hewitt

Does anyone out there have knowledge or opinions on the GPS speedometers? I thinking of putting one in my 27 T Bucket but would like pros and cons from you guys. What do you think?

2. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

I used one in my 56 Corvette land speed racer. I compared it to the time slips
    And found it to be very accurate.

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have done a 32 5 window with a GPS speedo and was really satisfied with it. We mounted the pickup module on the front side of the mirror. Sometimes it took a few 100 yards once I backed out of the garage for it to pick up the signal but once it locked on it was very accurate. My gauges were Autometer.

4. There have been numerous threads about them. A quick search will find them.

rockable and Jim Hewitt like this.

5. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I had a dakota digital speedo with gps sensor from speedway. very simple hookup, accurate. only drawback was it took a few blocks of driving to acquire a satellite

6. squirrel

squirrel

You miss out on all the fun of messing with the gears in the back of the transmission, routing the cable so it won't wiggle or get melted, getting the calibration right, etc.

How boring.

7. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

I have a free GPS speedometer app on my phone. It seems to be very accurate.

vintage56, verno30, Jibs and 6 others like this.
  8. I have had one in my Buick for 11 years. Great. Can even do a timed 1/4 mile.

Ben

40ragtopdown likes this.
  9. I’ve used a couple of them from SpeedHut. They’re my go to now. So much easier to install and no worries if you like to swap rear gears/tires on occasion.

10. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Put one in my 29 Like it a lot, Sensor is magnetic, mounted it on lip of w/shield frame.Speedhut Gauges and speedo

IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0516.JPG

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  11. .Everyone tells me they eat up battery life. Is that true? I've been a little reluctant to try the app because of that.

iagsxr likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

Some guys install a "cigarette lighter socket" to charge the phone as they drive.

I think with modern phones the GPS power consumption isn't too bad, although having the display on all the time will use some power. If you're just driving around town, you won't notice. If you're on a long trip, you'll plug the phone in to charge, anyways. So it's not an issue.

Cosmo49 and Squablow like this.
  13. Jim Hewitt

Jim Hewitt

mad mikey and Dave Mc like this.
  14. I mostly also use the phone app, the stock speedo in my 36 is about 12 mph off so instead of changing gears in the th350, I just either guess-timate or use the app. Mitch

15. iagsxr

iagsxr

I used to use my phone all the time in my OT tow rig truck because the speedometer was off due to tire size. We race a lot at a track that's 3:15 from my shop. It would all but kill the battery by the time we got there.

That was with a Galaxy S5. I think my S20 has way better battery life, but I had the speedo recalibrated so don't really use it that way anymore.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use my phone app with my 77 Chevy flatbed that eats speedometer cables as fast as you can put them in and on my old phone it did put a drain on the battery but as Jim said, plug it in and life is good. The truck only leaves the yard when it has a job to do and after going trough a couple of cables it is just easier to use the phone app.

The app works great to calibrate a mechanical speedometer with. Check the speed at 60. calculate the difference and which way. figure the percentage and then pop the speedometer drive and driven gears out or check color on the drive gear and figure out how you have to change the gears to change that percentage.

Algoma56 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

I've used the phone for speed/distance on a couple road trips, when the speedo/odo died and I needed to keep track of gas fillups (non working gas gauge too). It works. It's just not as convenient as having a proper old fashioned speedometer that works.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember driving to Texas and then back to Bonneville in my 51 Merc in 1988 with no speedometer and no gas gauge, Dad was along but wouldn't drive because the gauges didn't work. He couldn't figure out how I knew pretty well how much gas the car would take at stops and when to stop but I was watching mile markers and figuring out gas mileage at every stop. No cell phone apps in those days. What a bonus that would have been on that trip.

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Simple , no cost and less clutter=
    If you run an engine rpm tach?,You can just put some small marks for each 10 MPH*, around on outer tach face in high gear.:D
    That way the rpm tach,is also a speed-O*. You can check your real speed now days from your GPS speed on you phone,old school was to have a buddy drive beside you,holding at each 10 MPH mark you make.:cool:

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  20. wicarnut

wicarnut

I put a VDO GPS speedometer in my 32 Ford years ago, easy install, worked perfect, accurate, was happy with product. Looked it up at YOGI'S, $369 +$229 for sensor sending unit, a little pricey, do not remember what I paid back then, 15 years ? ago. I believe all cell phones have an app for speedo/maps.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd never put a speedo on. Trust me, y'all be grateful for that. :cool:

BJR, Baumi, Ned Ludd and 3 others like this.
  22. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a set of gauges from a company called Vee Three. Primarily boat gauges. The GPS speedo does a really good job. All the other gauges come with senders. It was an easy install

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

24. hepme

hepme

same here, i use the app on my phone and just mark my speedo to certain intervals like 30, 50, 70, etc. Found its def. more accurate compared to a "fixed" speedo calibration.

firstinsteele likes this.
  25. Mechman_22 likes this.
  26. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Like Dana Barlow I marked my tach & use it for a speedo. I mounted the tach next to the interior rear view mirrow at top of the windshield, easy to see..........

27. deucemac

deucemac

When I installed my Classic Instruments GPS unit, the instructions said to hook the power wire to a battery feed. I did that and if the car sat for a couple of weeks, the battery would be low. I switched the power wire to a switched sourse and that stopped that. However, the speedometer won't register if I pull right out of the garage,, for about a minute or so. So, I fire up the engine, wait a minute and everything is fine.

28. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Run off what the tach says. Works for me. Wife even checked with her phone, now she watches the tach.

Truckedup and Joe Travers like this.
  29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Just use your phone. It's the easy way out. Unless you still have a flip phone...;)

30. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20220506_083707.jpg
    I tried that, is there a number I can dial to get my current speed?

49ratfink, Baumi, Texas57 and 14 others like this.