Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gotta question about a title to an A model

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sqeaky Hinge, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

My dad bought this car , and the title that came with the car reads "1929 Tudor" , obviously , this car is a 4 door , is there such a beast as a tudor 4 door sedan? , or should the title read "fordor" for the 4 doors on the car? also , I'm told the only the '30 and up cars are the ones with the chrome strip between the cowl and the hood and the side marker lights , is this true?

Attached Files:

2. It's possible the body has been swapped. However, I would take a long look at the numbers on the car. Were they stamped by Ford would be my question.

If they're neat and in a row, be very scared.

Cosmo

3. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

I hear the numbers on the title are supposed to correspond with the engine , but I have no Idea where to look on the engine or the car for that matter...

4. Model T1

Model T1

What he said-----^^^^---- There is no such thing as a tudor fordor. That's a nice looking project. Hope you can get it figured out.
    Yes on the cowl stainless. But I think some came without the cowl lites.

5. Is it a Murray body are Briggs body. I think it's for sure a 29.

6. Carter

Carter

Pretty sure that is a 29. Title should say fordor or 4 dr or something like that. It's usually not a big deal to have that changed though. Numbers would be on the engine, drivers side on the number pad. Also was stamped on frame, but not visible with body on. If engine number doesn't match title, engine may have been changed.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Model T1

Model T1

It is definately a 1930 or a 1931 with a 1930 grille. 1928-29 had a cowl that was narrower than the body at the windshield.
    Many Model A's had different engines so the engine numbers probably will not match.

Just checked the thread and it looks like maybe Briggs was making the 30-31 body style in 1929. Even the grille is a 1930 grille. Could have been the late model with 1930 styling. ??????

8. Fenders

Fenders

That is not a 1930 radiator shell (nor a 31). It is a 28 or 29.

9. it is a 1929 (or 1928) Briggs Body sedan. Cowl design on Briggs and Murray bodies look more like the those of the later years.

my 1929 Briggs Body cabriolet:
    [​IMG]
    gas tank on these bodies are the same as on other '28-29s but they mount under the cowl sheet metal. mine has gas tank removed, cowl lights removed and cowl band removed.

10. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks for the information even though this is not my thread. I used to know every nut and bolt on Model A's. Been away from them way too long and getting forgetful.
    Maybe if I saw the car I'd known.

11. Here are the two shells:
    Note the 29 is squat and does not have a recess on the lower edge.
    The 30 is taller, narrower, and HAS the recess at the lower edge.
    31 is similar, but has a recess at the upper too.

Cosmo

Attached Files:

12. Model T1

Model T1

That is the main determining factor. I still have the 1931 grille shell from my first project car, a 1931 coupe.

13. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

That is a 28 or 29 briggs body fordor.

14. spooler41

spooler41

Sorry guys ,I 'm sure it's a '31, it's got '31 front fenders,'31 splash aprons and a'31
    grill shell. Also it does not have a '28/'29 cowl.

.......................Jack

15. flatford39

flatford39

It's not a 31. It is a 29 Briggs body Fordor. They had the wider looking cowls.

16. Wow. Eighty year s goes by, and people forget already.

These two pics graphically show the differences between 1929 Ford Model A; and 1931 Ford Model A.

Note the grille shell on the black '29; short and squat, no recesses either top nor bottom; slightly rounded sides, and gently rounded bottom. Note, too, the headlight bar, quite straight between the headlights. The bumpers are curved at the ends, making the plan view not a smooth radius. Now look at the wheels. '28-'29 use 21" wheels, with a small, cap-like hubcover. The front fenders come a bit lower in the front, with a bit more radius.

Now look at the green 1931. Look at all the above and note: The grille shell has a recess both top and bottom, painted on the example (1930 only has the bottom recess, but is otherwise quite the same). Sides are nearly straight, taller, and the bottom has a much more pronounced radius. Headlight bar is a smooth curve from fender to fender. The bumpers, in plan view, are also a smooth curve. The 19" wheels use a larger hubcover, without the 'cap-like' look, more like a plate, than a bowl. And the front fenders do not come quite as far down in the front, without quite the radius of the earlier cars.

Now peer at our subject car. Looks a bit like a _______

Answer at 10 o'clock. (Hint, rhymes with plenty fine)

Cosmo

Attached Files:

17. Carter

Carter

The grille shell is not always a good indicator of what the rest of a car is. However in this case it is true. What confuses most people on these 28/9 Briggs bodied cars is that the cowl is unique to them( and , doesn't look anything like any of the other 28/9 cars, and actually more closely resembles the 30/31 cowl.
    But, just to repeat what has been said numerous times , it is a 1928 or 1929 Fordor.

Just to add one more thing, the hoods are unique to these cars as well.

You can even see that the gas cap is a 28/9 in the picture.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  18. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

19. A Rodder

A Rodder

To answer your last question, the ID number is on the side of the block just below the head surface in a raised pad.

With any luck it will match the Title, the other location is on the frame under the driver side cowl, stamped onto the top of the frame.

With any luck, they all will match, and the only thing changed was the body.

The body has no ID numbers on it.

On a side note, IF I remember correctly, the engine number should have a star type stamp before the numbers. I cannot remember on the A frame, if it has the same star there or not

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

IT IS A 1929 FORDOR! Look at the cowl, ONE PIECE stanping with a 28-29 gas tank mounted from the INSIDE! Need more proof, open the hood and look at the fire wall, it is THREE pieces, bottom, center strip and gas tank face. That cowl band is BRASS not stainless like the 30-31. If you really want to prove to people that it is a 28-29 chances are the gas tank is date stamped above the steering column. Bob

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    05snopro440 likes this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] This is a 1929 Ford Fordor cowl. Bob

22. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

You will get a lot of answers from youngsters who have no idea what it means. It has nothing to do with the number of doors.
    The Tudor is sort of a style name. Can be 2 door or 4 door. Fordor is a corruption of four door probably because somebody thought that Tudor meant 2 door.

From Fordbarn:

bobscogin Senior Member Join Date: May 2010 Posts: 218

Re: STUPID Question/what does Tudor mean?
    That Model of Ford was named after the Tudor dynasty, or House of Tudor, which was a European royal house of Welsh origin. Lots of info on the internet.

23. Unbelievable just how many misinformed "experts" seem to have congregated in this thread !

Tudor and Fordor were Henrys designations for two-door and four door .

Oh and the OP's sedan? that is a 1929 BRIGGS BODIED FORDOR SEDAN !

Thank fully there are one or two posters here that have pointed out how to positively i.d. the car , BRASS cowl band , 3 piece firewall etc .

The37Kid likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you really want to play with the "experts" ask them when Ford first used the term "Fore-Door" to discribe a body style and why? :DBob

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. Not only are some people very wrong, but they are proud and forceful about it.

Post #21 has the correct answer.

05snopro440 likes this.
  26. Carter

Carter

So did posts 5,6,7,9,10,14,16,17,18,22, and 24.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pull the body off the frame, and find the number on the driver's side rail. That is the serial number. Engines get changed more often than frames. Changing the engine does not change the title year, and this ain't a '30. If the title does not natch either the engine serial, or the frame serial, than you have a car, and a fancy piece of paper. You will have to have your local authorities check both numbers against the stolen car database.

28. It's a 34' can tell by the head lights.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That too. #21 was the most concise.

The37Kid likes this.