Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Got the car running!!! Interesting first drive...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53dodgekustom, Jun 13, 2009.

1. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

So about a year a go this weekend I was coming back from the Road Rocket Rumble with my buddy Nick32vick riding shot gun and about 50 miles out of Indy I hear this LOUD knocking noise from some were in the engine compartment. I was cruising about 80 so I slowed it down to about 65 or so and everything quieted back down and we went on our way. Haha, I knew the old Flathead 6 was TIRED so I figured I just go slow and nurse it home. Why stop??? Fuck it!!! HAha. Well I did have to stop a few times to dump some oil in it but that was normal procedure. Haha.

A few hours later we were getting near St.Louis and close to home so I cranked it up to about 75 again and sure enough there's the knocking again and before I know it I'm florin it and it's dying. FUCK!!! I pull over and open the hood, oil seeping out all around the head gasket smells hot as fuk (Temp gauge don't work). I wait about an hour, fire it up and baby it home. It was missing really bad. I got home tore the motor out stripped it down and sent it out for a rebuild.

Well life happened and I didn't get much time to work on it at all and now finally today Bobblehead and I took it out for a test drive. We got it timed and it starts right up beautifully. As we pull out of the driveway it became very apparent that I had taken my air shocks out cause they were trashed and I bought some bags to go in there place. But I hadn't gotten those in yet. It was bottomed out and bouncy as fuck and my brand new driveshaft was rubbing, but we kept going. I got it out on the road and gave it some gas and HOLY FUCKING SHIT IT HAS TWICE THE POWER!!! Haha. It really surprised me and I was impressed. It pulls very nice in 1st and 2nd. We went a few miles down the road to my buddy Brian's place. He showed us his new shop. It was awesome.

We were on our way back and it started dying. I'm like "I think it's out of gas." Shit!!! I couldn't remember when I had last filled it up. We stop. It's getting dark I have no headlights, no tail or brake lights, no license plates, ect ect. Haha. Some guy stops and was like dude I got a gallon of gas at my place hop in. Pretty cool guy drove to his house let me use his gas and wanted no money. I also got to learn a lesson in how important credit is. Haha, he was quite talkative.

I pour some gas in it. Fires right up after a few cranks. Good to go!! I head towards home and have like 3 people flashing there lights at me. Haha. My driveway (O sorry Nick...ROAD haha) is one lane and gravel and has trees and sink holes on both sides. It was so dark that Bob's and I had to stick our heads out the windows and he kept yelling RIGHT RIGHT LEFT LEFT!!! Hahah. I couldn't see shit.We made it though! Just another crazy adventure in the Meadowbrook. Haha. I'm so stoked now that I have a running car again! WWWWHHHHOOO!!!!! (If this story doesn't make any since it's because I'm celebrating my running car with a fresh bottle off Jim Beam right now, Hahaha)

2. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Glad to hear you got your ride back on the road.

3. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

haha. Awesome Tom. You forgot to mention that my GPS fried your generator on the way down to the road rockets show and we did have to stop in east st. louis to go pee. That was a fun trip!

4. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

The first time I got my grandpa's old truck running good enough to drive, I pulled to the end of my country road and looked both ways. No one around so I decide to make the block even though I had no Insurance, Tags, Inspection and the title was still in my grandpas name. As soon as I turned on to the little highway, the city cop came around the corner behind me even though we were well outside city limits. He didnt get close enough to see my plates or anything cause i ducked down a side road, but I ran out of gas and had to walk home. Still that was a great night!