Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got the car out for the 1st time this year, then some blood and almost a fire! Sweet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by countrysedanman, Apr 3, 2009.

1. So its going to snow this weekend they say, so I got home from work and decided to take the wag for its first spin of the year, test out the new gas tank and give it a little shake down. Checked the tire press and fluids, ok loaded up the wife and hit the town. The turd started to idle a little fast, then a little slow, then ok. Wife says, whats wrong with this thing, I say its ok, just gettin its feet wet again. A couple more laps and its idling way fast, then way to slow then sounds likes its hitting on two cyls. It dies, we coast into a parking lot. Shes ready to call for help, I say, I can fix it. I get out, try to open the hood, slip and miss the catch, oh well, get the hood open and find the choke linkage is loose, easy fix, reach for my pocket screw driver, shoot blood all over my shirt, what the hell now, cut my finger on the grill. Fix the carb, drive home with one arm, right hand all bloody now. get home, glue finger shut, go back out, drive car in garage, gas shooting every where, my new glass fuel filter I put on so I could see if the gas was getting shitting from the tank exploded. Thank god I was home and the engine was cool. But who cares right, got to drive the wag and give the wife a heart attack or two. Old cars rule.

Brad

Attached Files:

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Those filters are about as worthless as tits on a bore hog.....matter of fact the manuf. should be sued.

3. I agree, Im taking whats left of it back to get my money back and stock up on good old metal filters.

Brad

4. That is a tuff lookin' wagon my friend! I like.
    I've never had any trouble with those filters ...just lucky?

5. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

lookin good ! maybee we should start a club i thought i was gonna loose the little pickup last year due to an engine fire !

6. Nice 56' Brad..........gotta love the "long roofs"........I've got a 68' country sedan myself.
    Doug

7. Hell, maybe we should start one anyway! Are you havin a booth at the CR swapmeet or just going? Will have to try to hook up there.

Brad

8. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

no spot this year ! just attending , be more than glad to meet up though name a time and spot at the fairgrounds !

9. I'm so diggin' the wagons that are finding their way on the HAMB!

10. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Brad...Love your wagon, that is one BAD ASS lookin ride!!!

11. Carter

Carter

Ditto on the glass filters.
    Almost lost a 76 Camaro to one of those filters a few years back.

Dave

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Glad things didn't get toasty on ya. Yeah, every one of those filters I've ever come across has leaked like a sonofabitch. Pitch it as far as you can throw it!

13. Rooney00

Rooney00

Everything I own has been on fire one time or another.

14. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

Mine dont have time to catch fire as i almost get ready to finish the wiring and i sell the damn things..................guess i just cant say no to the neighbors that come over with that green knot

15. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

So am I. Is there a longroof group? If not should we start one?

16. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

nice ride, if nothing ever happened memories would not exist

17. tiresmoke!

tiresmoke!

Dig the sta-wags.

The best application I've seen for those glass fuel filters is in the damned trash.

Getting the itch to get my pile out and around myself...hope you have a better go of it next time!

18. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Yep, been there, had it happen. Never use a glass filter again..Luckily the fire extinguisher was behind the seat..

Those cheap parts store twist type fuel pressure regualtors are a hazzard too.

19. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Hey Jeff............did you see the picture of the filter. Look familiar? A friend of mine had the same thing happen a few years ago and we about caught his Ford on fire. Those filters are really great!

20. FastBird

FastBird
    from Missouri

Awh The signs of winter finally over! Congrads on getting the ride out!

21. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

If anyone cares, Tractor Supply sells the old stile fuel filters with the glass bowl. Not like the one in the picture.

22. barney rubble

barney rubble

My dad lost a pickup truck to one of those filters a few years ago. I have seen a lot of them catch fire.

23. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

That has to be your new tag line......:D

24. RAY With

RAY With

Royal your so right and there good for a weenie roast. There good ditch fill but to light for a trot line weight!. Now the wagon looks great and other than minor normal shake down problems you should be able to enjoy many more miles with the wife without malfunctions after you take the fire trap filter off.

25. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Countrysedan man that is so cool you saying after all that happend to ya, OLD CARS RULE! - YEA - Nice wagon dude!

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I dont trust those Glass filters any more than i trust an incandecent light bulb trouble light..your asking for trouble with something fragile like that around something as volitle as fuel.
    metal canister type mounted to the frame away from any heat is my only choice or the metal in line ones
    I dont care for the plastic inline ones either , but at least they are not fragile, and if kept away from heat they seem ok

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've got a couple of those old glass filters. I use one as a paper weight.

Glad you got out to cruise.

28. I took the filter back today, they said they have never, ever seen one break. Im thinking not so much. Even asked me if I wanted a new one! I put a nice little all metal one on and hit the streets, even ran pretty good today. Thanks for all the comments on the wag, someday it will look nice, maybe anyway.

Brad

29. Yes they will break on you, but there are 2 different kinds. Coated my Caddy motor down with gas while going down the hiway! No fire, but I do not know how I got out of that one.

It stripped the threads juuuuussssstttt enough to feed the engine and still leave standing liquid on the recesses of the intake. Yes the car was fully warmed up after a 10 mile drive, but no fire!

I don't want to try my luck a second time.