Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got the '27 titled/smog exempted California, no less!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Jan 4, 2010.

  1. evintho
    Joined: May 28, 2007
    Posts: 1,218


    Got up at 6:30 and parked my butt in front of DMV by 7:00. It opened at 8:00. I was third in line! The goal was to have my '27 entered into the Calif DMV system so I could obtain a Certificate of Sequence number, commonly called an SB100 number. An SB100 number is the number you receive that's within the 500 allotted #s for smog exemption. Well, not really smog exemption but close on............

    Definitions from California DMV webpage
    Specially Constructed Vehicle

    <!-- #EndEditable --><!-- #BeginEditable "section_number" -->580<!-- #EndEditable -->. <!-- #BeginEditable "section_content" -->A "specially constructed vehicle" is a vehicle which is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. A specially constructed vehicle may be built from (1) a kit; (2) new or used, or a combination of new and used, parts; or (3) a vehicle reported for dismantling, as required by Section 5500 or 11520, which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle dismantled. A specially constructed vehicle is not a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts.<!-- #EndEditable -->
    <!-- #BeginEditable "addl_section_content" -->
    <!-- #EndEditable -->
    <!-- #BeginEditable "section_change_history" -->Amended Ch. 1286, Stats. 1983. Effective January 1, 1984.

    Specially Constructed Vehicles- Emission Control
    <!-- #BeginEditable "content" -->What is the Specially Constructed Vehicle Emission Control Program?

    Existing law requires most 1976 and newer model year vehicles to pass an emissions control inspection (smog check) prior to original registration, transfer of ownership, and every second annual renewal. Since Specially Constructed Vehicles (SPCNS) are homemade and do not have a manufacturer-assigned model year, they must be taken to a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station for the original inspection. Upon completion of the inspection, the referee will affix a tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate that establishes the model-year for future inspection purposes.

    Per California Vehicle Code §4750.1, the first 500 program applicants in each calendar year may choose whether the inspection is based on the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year. If the engine or the vehicle does not sufficiently resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the model-year.

    After the first 500 vehicles have been registered in any calendar year, all others will be assigned the same model-year as the calendar year in which the application is submitted.

    Previously registered vehicles may be included as one of the first 500 applicants in a calendar year and apply for a different model-year determination.
    What is an SPCNS Certificate of Sequence?

    An SPCNS Certificate of Sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose emission control inspection based on the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year. The certificate is issued by DMV Headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection.

    Per statute, only 500 certificates can be issued in a calendar year. Once the yearly allotment has been issued, applicants must wait until the following year to apply for a certificate.

    SPCNS Certificates of Sequence cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or reissued in someone else's name. The seller of a vehicle must provide the buyer with the SPCNS Certificate of Sequence along with the bill of sale and any additional registration documents. In addition, fees deposited in one year cannot be held over for the next year's allocation of certificates.

    Note: Due to the limited number of SPCNS Certificates of Sequence available, you may wish to submit your application for registration in person at a local DMV office.


    '27 T roadster body only. Plans call for a homemade frame, turbo'd 2.3, T5, etc. Remember, T's had the original VIN on the engine block and it's long gone. The only things I walked into DMV with were a 'bill of sale' from the previous owner, the craigslist ad where I found it, a picture of the car in my backyard, and these forms...........
    Form 343..........Application for Title or Registration
    Form 124..........Application for Assigned VIN plate
    Form 5036........Statement of Construction
    Form 256..........Statement of Facts

    Make sure whoever helps you is knowledgeable in the Specially Constructed Vehicle registration process. My clerk took the 3 of us at one time. One guy had a Factory Five '65 Shelby clone and the second guy had a '55 Chevy gasser.

    First thing the clerk did was enter my T into the system. That's where forms 343 and 124 came in. Next, he rushed immediately to the telephone and began to call Sacramento to get us assigned the SB100 number. That is the holy grail! A number within the 500 allotted numbers. The local offices have one designated phone number to call to access the SB100 database. Needless to say, the first time he called the line was busy. He was a great clerk. He brought 3 telephones to his desk, sat there and for over an hour just kept hitting redial on all 3 phones until he got through!! Unbelievable! At 9:20 he finally got through! 10 minutes later he came over and handed me the appropriate paperwork. I was number 90. I paid $96 in fees and now have the choice of having my car smogged as a '27 or '88.........guess which one I'm choosing!

    I've been assigned a temporary VIN that's good for 3 years, or whenever I have the car safety certified by the CHP, whichever comes first. If I don't have it finished by the 3 year mark, I simply take the paperwork back to DMV and have it updated.

    Once it's running I need to have a CHP officer inspect it and sign off. Basically it needs to have lights, horn, seat belts, working brakes, turnsignals and a few other things.

    Next, I go to the BAR referee where I'll choose to have it smogged based on the year of body, 1927. Oh wait! 1927 is outside the jurisdiction of current smog laws! Oh well!

    I hope this info will help someone else. There's a small chance there are still some SB100 slots left for this year. If not, camp in front of DMV on the first business day of 2011 and get your SB100 Sequence number! Good luck!
  2. Very cool. Suprized you were only #90, figured for sure you'd say you were like 489 or something.
    Gotta love it when DMV gets it right
  3. Jalopy Joker
    Joined: Sep 3, 2006
    Posts: 23,452

    Jalopy Joker

    Thanks-important info for California rodders
    Joined: Jul 30, 2009
    Posts: 6

    I like to take a recently finished up project on a shakedown run to a BAR!!!! Your story reminds me of a shakedown run we were on a few years back to a BAR and a few of the guys I was with must not of had the correct forms filed out or something like that. The next thing yah know the &#8220;referee&#8221; (MPD finest) was there and we all afxed with tamper-resistants

    All joking around aside I have been building turbo hayabusa sand rails (dune buggies) for the last 5 years or so. With a large portion of our domestic clients in the So. Cal. area I&#8217;ve had extensive dealings with CARB and the EPA.

    #1: I&#8217;ve come up with both agencies strive to outdo each other on my most worthless government agency with no conman sense list and they strive in no other endeavor.

    #2 : If you can get them to answer a question clearly it'd be a first!!

    #3: The only thing that they seem to know for sure is I&#8217;m doing something illegal and should stop immediately or I&#8217;ll be fined. We need to get certified even though the certification program is still in CARB committee and not in place for certification&#8230;&#8230;.WT?

    #4: Were what&#8217;s called a LVP (Low Volume Producer) recognized by the EPA that way and NOT CARB again&#8230;&#8230; WT? We were building 25 to 30 turnkey rails a year. The cost of certification is very high and not being able to spread it out over more units per year makes it impractical. Unfortunately it works well for the buggy importers moving in 100,000 plus Chinese POS a year. There the ones that brought the attrition of the emissions people into our industry in the first place.

    In conclusion It&#8217;s great to here that there is still some hope for the resident car buff in CA I don&#8217;t know if your into any lobbies type groups out there but that 500 car exemption would be worth fighting to preserve in IMHO. If CARB gets a chance they&#8217;ll be trying to do away with that &#8220;loop hole&#8221; as CARB would view it.

    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

  5. 40FORDPU
    Joined: Mar 15, 2009
    Posts: 2,545

    from Yelm, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

    It can be beneficial to know the law! Congrats.
  6. cwayne
    Joined: Dec 24, 2009
    Posts: 220


    Lucky you......... I got my '33 coupe titled/smog exempted today too.. Number 163 at about 10am... at that rate the 500 will be gone by Tue. morning. heard talk about Calif up the number to 5000.... not sure if it's true or not but they'll need at least that number to get all the cars in line so they get all their money...$$
  7. 5Wcoupe
    Joined: Oct 2, 2007
    Posts: 306

    from L.A., Ca.

    Great work and thanks for taking the time to lay it out for us this way.
    It's gotta be a great relief to get through that.
  8. claymore
    Joined: Feb 21, 2009
    Posts: 896


    Nice work getting it done and one of the lucky numbers. Sometimes that's all it takes, the proper paperwork filled out correctly, and a clerk that DOES HIS JOB someone should buy that clerk a beer or two.
  9. Neglected Legacies
    Joined: Apr 22, 2009
    Posts: 80

    Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

    Man, that paperwork and bureaucracy scared me off doing a special construction - I found a car with a clean 1930 title instead - good to hear you had luck with it!
  10. 35mastr
    Joined: Oct 26, 2007
    Posts: 1,899

    from Norcal

    I registered my 29 plated and titled as a 29 in December. I had a pink from 1939 when it was last on the road. Its still a pile of parts. But I dont need to worry no more.
  11. KUZTOM
    Joined: May 6, 2008
    Posts: 910


    Once it's running I need to have a CHP officer inspect it and sign off. Basically it needs to have lights, horn, seat belts, working brakes, turnsignals and a few other things.

    You guys do get it easy , we have to go through a very tuff inspection, every nut and bolt is checked for grade etc ,we have a book to go by ,which is very well done,but most here are ok with the system, with out it the goverment wouldnt let us do it.
    Then every 6 months we have to go for a warrant of fitness ( normal for all cars).
    NZ has a good reputation for safe Rods
  12. krylon32
    Joined: Jan 29, 2006
    Posts: 5,928

    Alliance Vendor
    from Nebraska

    The stars aligned and the moon was in the right position. Congrats.
  13. johnboy13
    Joined: May 1, 2007
    Posts: 1,073


    Congrats, it's a good feeling to finally get it done, and be completely legal to boot. I realized this summer it was time to straighten out the title issues on my '57. For the first time in years, it is actually legal and has a title that matches the real number on the frame and a real Serial Number Plate on the door jam that matches both the title, and the frame.
  14. trad27
    Joined: Apr 22, 2009
    Posts: 1,109


    conradulations, that is a big weight off your shoulders I bet, ask me how I know, lol. Good to hear the DMV clerk being cooprative. When I and anouther hamber went to the DMV just for a Q&A secion they just gave us the run around, they said if I trailer it down there without a title in our name or a DMV bill of sale they will say it is stolen and confescat it. I have had much better luck through AAA
  15. unkamort
    Joined: Sep 8, 2006
    Posts: 1,013


    Thank You! I subscribe to all this type of thread and this is the first time I have read first hand information, and a listing of the proper forms. This is very useful information!
  16. unkamort
    Joined: Sep 8, 2006
    Posts: 1,013


    Need to drag this back to the top... After an hour on the DMV web site I cannot find this Form 124 "Application for Assigned VIN plate". Need some help here finding this form!
  17. gimpyshotrods
    Joined: May 20, 2009
    Posts: 16,253


    It is not on the site. You may need to go to the DMV to get one.
  18. WHAT A BUNCH OF BULL SHIT,!!!! why do you people put up with that CRAP??
  19. Grlz2grlz
    Joined: Jun 27, 2013
    Posts: 80


    Really cool stuff.

    Great job!!!!

  20. flathead okie
    Joined: May 22, 2005
    Posts: 1,480

    flathead okie

    my 31 is titled as a 1931 coupe but the vin starts with CAR xxxxxx it had a Calif. Title when I bought it as a project. What does that mean.
  21. jfreakofkorn
    Joined: Apr 13, 2010
    Posts: 2,640


    this is some really helpful information .....

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.