Register now to get rid of these ads!

got the 250 into the 41 chevy coupe, now need steering column help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neverwinter, Dec 23, 2012.

1. neverwinter

neverwinter

wanting to keep the original steering wheel and connect it to the mustang 2. i counted 20 splines on the steering column shaft plus about a 1/4 inch flat for lining up the original steering box. i saw that there are 20 spline 3/4 ujoints but wasnt sure if that would work. how have you mated old steering columns to a M2 setup? i can cut and weld a more common splined adapter if there is one?

thanks for any insight.

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Keep it simple, ujoint on the rack to 3/4 double d intermediate, weld on ujoint to the cut column with a double d and a support bearing or two. safe, reliable, and been done a thousand times.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut the outer column tube off about 3" shorter than the inner shaft. Cut the inner shaft square. Get a 3/4" ID wheelbarrow wheel bearing and a 3/4" split locking collar from your favorite local hardware store. Tap the bearing into the column tube, clearancing as necessary for a good press-fit. Put the split locking collar just below the bearing. This will keep the column from moving up and down. Weld on a 3/4" smooth round bore to 3/4" DD shaft u-joint to the exposed column shaft. Put the appropriate spline (power and manual are DIFFERENT) to 3/4" DD shaft u-joint on the rack. Put 3/4" DD shaft in-between. If you can't do that without hitting something, add a third u-joint, 3/4" DD to 3/4" DD, in the middle, and a 3/4" ID heim joint, mounted to the frame, on one of the two shafts. Done. Let me know if you need the part numbers. I build 2-3 of these a week.

Here's a little shaft do and don't. The new shaft pictured has an adapter collar at the near end, for a shaft size that there was no native u-joint size for. Yours is 3/4". When your done, your shaft setup should look like the one on the right. If it looks like the one on the left, you gonna die:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  4. Is welding a 3/4 smooth - 3/4 DD U joint to 3/4 shaft a common and good thing. The reason I ask is I am attempting to build a column and have the 3/4 round shaft and need to get it to a DD intermediate. I purchased the smooth to DD Ujoint from Flaming River with welding it to the round shaft in mind. When I opened the package the directions said not to weld the U joint. Is there precautions you have to take not to damage the joint from heat as you weld.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use mostly Sweet U-joints, but use Flaming River from time-to-time. Wrap a wet rag around the cross, and weld away. I have done probably upwards of 200, and have yet to have a problem reported. I think the Flaming River ones have a nylon grease seal, but I can't remember. The Sweet ones are all steel, as far as I can tell.

If you want to avoid welding a u-joint, there is a way. Get a Borgeson coupler and weld that onto the 3/4" round shaft, then attach a length of 3/4 DD to that, and so on:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/3_4DD_X_3_4_Smooth_Bore-p-1014.html

6. neverwinter

neverwinter

thanks for all the help everyone. i think i am going to go with the last suggestion and weld that coupler on. thanks again all - very helpful.

7. cosmic12

cosmic12

Great info here,thank you. Question, I am trying to use my stock 52 Chevy col/wheel but I am connecting it to a late model Chevy Celebrity rack that is metric with an odd spline with a hole cross drilled it and the stub is only about 1" long. Any suggestions?:confused:

8. I do it a little differently yet. As was said, cut the shaft 3 inches longer than the tube at the bottom of the column..install the bearing and collar...then I CAREFULLY grind two flats on the 3 inch stub [3/4ths inch] to accomodate a double d universal on both sides......much simpler and no welding involved.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, but it is fair to mention the consequences if you grind wrong. Don't slip.

10. cosmic12

cosmic12

Got my steering finisned up. 2 u-joints and made the shafts and it works great!

Attached Files: