Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got some WWW’s cut – PICS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colorado51, Feb 28, 2005.

1. colorado51

colorado51

Hey all,

There is a place in Denver (Roberts Tire & Wheel) that still has one of the old white wall cutting machines.

They pretty much just sell 13” gold 100 spoke wheel/tire combos and 21-24” spinners, so they didn’t know what to make of me when I walked in with 15” tires on chrome steel wheels!

I had them cut my generic Peerless Tires’ and they came out pretty good.

It took him about 2 weeks (he first told me it would be 1 day) and charged me $60 for all 4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Looks good. Sounds like a reasonable price.

3. colorado51

colorado51

He had to dismount the tires to cut them, the price also included dismounting / remounting the tires on the rims.

4. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

Those look really nice - I would like to see how those look over time and use, etc.. very cool.. that's a MUCH cheaper way to go!

5. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

From the looks of things he did a great job, car looks pretty good too.

6. Is it cut, then painted white? I'm surprised they were dismounted. To spin them on the machine, they would have had to been still mounted I would have thought.

7. colorado51

colorado51

No, they were cut, no paint (as far as I know!). Actually, the wide white wall still had the “blue protectant” on it after he cut them. I had to use Ajax to get the blue off.

Yea, I would have thought he would leave them on the rim too. I didn’t see the machine; he brought them offsite to cut them.

8. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

are you sure that thing has a big block? it is starting to look like my grandmas car. HAHAHAHAHA just a joke Dave.

Looks real nice.

9. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

that's the craziest! i didn't know that could be done. how do they do that? that is way cheaper than paying coker a bizzilion dollars a tire!

_T

10. Zumo

Zumo

That looks awesome!

11. colorado51

colorado51

Yea, it sits better when its off the car dollies.

A big block? Sorry, I dont know what you are talking about! :D

Hey, did you get my PM? Anytime you want to start on your car let me know.

12. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

yeah I did, when it starts to warm up I'll plan the 1st barbq of the year and get all the guys over to knock it out.

13. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I know rubber tires were originally white, are they cutting the black wall off the inner white? I like this idea also, instead of using Coker. Are those Peerless special??

14. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

Looks good. I need to get a hold of those guys to put some spinners on my 39

15. colorado51

colorado51

Well if you want 13's for your lowrider, or 24's for your Escalade I'm sure they can fix you up! :D

They looked at me like I was a space alien when I brought in my 15" tires on chrome steel rims!

They dont advertise that they cut WWW, its just kinda word of mouth, so I dont think that they do a lot of them anymore.

I think that the dad started the business years ago, and now his sons are running it and selling the bling wheels.

16. colorado51

colorado51

Ok, this is the way I understand it, someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Most, if not all skinny white wall tires actually have a lot more white under the black rubber. The amount of white under the rubber varies with each tire make.

Some people grind the black off to expose the white (check the Tech-O-Matic for this).

Years ago there were machines for this, and some tire guys would go around to car dealers with their machine on a trailer and offer this service.

This place here in Denver happens to still have one of the machines.

He only had to take off about 1/32” to expose the white.

Yes, they are the Peerless special.

17. stan292

stan292

Colo-

Sweet little Chevy!

The two-tone paint scheme is a nice change from what you usually see.

18. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

They look great! This guy had these white walls cut on his 32 somewere in N. Carolina i think. But he paid alot to get his done.

Nick

Attached Files:

19. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I've always thought this was a cool idea. I saw a guy make a redline tire out of a regular backwall quite a few years ago. He had a little motorized roller deal that he put under each wheel once he jacked it up. It spun the wheel while he carved a line in the tire. Then he took some sort of red dye and dyed the line. They looked really good.

20. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Those turned out awesome! Thanks for storing my Ducati for me at your place. ha ha

21. rev616

rev616

22. What did they look like before you cut them?

23. jabber

jabber

24. Radshit

Radshit

Hey Travis....Chucky, friend of mine, from Classic cars of New Mexico...on 4th street, has the same machine, he cut some radials for me recently......they came out good also....

Robert's Tire and Wheel is still around???? I used to hang out there way back when.......

25. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Next thing you know they'll have all us hoodlums lined up outside :p

Your car looks great! They would have probably liked it better if it bounced up and down though :eek:

26. colorado51

colorado51

Here is a "before" pic.

[​IMG]

27. colorado51

colorado51

It could be yours for 5000! :D

28. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

Are you serious neal? that's the koolest thing i've seen. i didn't know about that trick. thanks HAMBr's! neal how much does he charge? what kind of tires work best? what's the turnaround? give me a holler and let me know!

_T

29. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I checked out a tire cutting machine at a large tire shop a few months ago. I asked the guy if he'd use a junk tire to show me how they do it and how the tire looked afterwards. Basically this machine grabs the dismounted tires inside bead and spins it around, while a grinding stone cuts into the whitewall side and can be adjusted. Pretty simple...I bet I can make a similar jig at home.

The only problem with the one I saw was the grinding stone was too small and was leaving gouges in the whitewall.

Also, some tires don't have a white band all the way to the wheel lip, so you'll have a strip of black between the wheel & whitewall.

I grinded my whitewalls with an angle grinder and sanding disc. Took about 30 minutes a tire. From the thin, raised whitewall outward. Outcome was a little rough at first, but atfer hand sanding a little, they came out looking good. Only problem is the white band isn't always a perfect circle, so sometimes it's egg shaped. I've had mine done since early November and have got about 2,000 miles on them and they seem to look fine.

For you guys who are Do-It-Yourselfers, or people who don't care about looks all that much...go for grinding your own...for you guys who like attention to details...go buy your whitewalls.

[​IMG]

30. Radshit

Radshit

I like attention to details.....but I'll have my friend do it for with his machine.....

Travis, he charges me 7 dollars a tire....let me know if'in you need some done......