Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Got schooled on 3 duce intaks today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scharleyride, Feb 28, 2016.

1. I brought a Edelbrock three carb set up back last summer after rebuilding the carbs and chasing some parts I got ready to put it on today. To my surprise It dose not fit. It is a c355 and it only fits a 265. has small runners and does not line up. I read and hope some one on here can tell me, can I use 265 intake gasket on my 305

2. I'm not following.
    If it doesn't fit, how will different gaskets solve the problem???

3. 1955-56 heads have small intake ports. In 1957 Chevrolet went with larger ports. Most aftermarket intake manifolds are designed to work with 1957 and up large port heads. If your car still has the original 1956 265 heads you will have a major vacuum leak in the lifter valley area if you bolt on an aftermarket intake manifold.

Another potential problem you may run into is aftermarket manifolds don’t have any provision for an oil fill tube and crankcase breather. If your engine doesn’t have an oil fill cap and breather holes in the valve covers this could be a problem.

One other thing while we are on the subject. There are unique intake gaskets designed for the 1955-56 265. If you use standard SBC intake gaskets on an early engine you will have a vacuum leak. If you have a 1955-56 265 use Fel-Pro MS9200B intake gaskets.

They should be able to order the gaskets for you at any auto parts store.....However, I found them here at Jegs:http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/MS9200B/10002/-1

Fel-Pro#375-MS9200B.......OEM Performance Replacement Intake Gaskets•1956 Chevy 265 with 2-bbl or 4-bb

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Use a Fel Pro MS9200B intake manifold gasket set for the 265. Port match the intake to "fit" the gasket better. I'm going to guess the engine is assembled, so matching the gaskets to the heads also, would be risky. Your manifold came out not long after the first, 55, 265 was available. They have pretty small ports for sure, but there's a lot of material to work with for better fitment. BUT, if your tri-power intake has't been modified to this point, I'd keep it stock, and maybe go with a different intake. Your manifold will have a temperature sending unit bung in the left rear corner. The 55 V-8 intakes were the same, and had a short sending unit tube. In 56, the sending unit bung was moved to the front. Your tri-power intake, with it's temperature sending unit bung in the left rear, makes it ideal for a 49-54 Chevrolet V-8 swap, due to those cars have a short sending unit tube also. You manifold will also have an oil return line port on the right side of the intake between the ports; be sure you plug that opening. I am Butch/56sedandelivery. I see chopped51 beat me to what gaskets to use.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've got a C-357-B on my 350 and that is the one that lines up with the 350 heads.

[​IMG]

Don

6. Rand Man

Rand Man

Is a brand new C-357B basically the same as it was when introduced years ago? They still look period correct?

7. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The C355 cannot be used on your later engine. Buy new manufacture Edelbrock 3 deuce manifold. Use your carburetors. Sell the 265 only manifold. Ron

8. You need the right manifold. That's not going to work for you. I picked up a C355 a few years ago, not knowing that it wasn't going to work on the later heads. Someone came along who really wanted it for their 265 and I got enough cash out of it to buy a new C357.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think they do.....I like mine. I needed one with an oil fill tube because I wasn't about to drill my Vette valve covers for breathers.

[​IMG]

Don

10. Don that is looking great I plan to just order a new intake. I have been on line looking for a good used one but I want to get it going. Thanks to every one that gave me some input on this

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Back in the day I had a 283 with 327 300 heads on it. I put an edelbrock c-265 ? intake on it. my vacuum leak wasn't under the manifold it was on the outside corners of the ports. Just too small of an intake. Bolted on ok, just wrong port size. Idled on seven ran ok wide open. :) Found the leak with a squirt can of gasoline, :D