Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GOT ONE thanks guys - Pleaase delete listing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MERCURYGUY, Jan 5, 2019.

1. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

I am trying to find a 56-57 original power brake booster but from most firms they are either not available or VERY pricey Has some one who has ones of these vehicles changed over to another booster ? The battery would obviously pose a clearance problem but maybe they is a smaller unit that will fit. Any help appreciated mercuryguy

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Have you tried Booster Dewey in Portland Oregon?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  3. 63galaxie406

63galaxie406

The small early Birds had remote boosters. I think they were called hydrovacs.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not only is clearance an issue on the engine side of the firewall, regarding a swap, there is an issue on the other side.

Due to the way that a Hydrovac booster works, the pedal ratio is absolutely inappropriate for a modern-style vacuum booster, and even yet still worse for manual brakes. You'd have to fit a conventional brake pedal, too.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can get your's rebuilt for about $250.

6. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

Thanks Guys for the info. Tom

7. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

someone sells a brake booster that is on a bracket the spaces it away from the firewall and to the side into the space where the battery traditionally lives. Can't say how well it works.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Just a thought..Midland booster, I think Yogy's or Goodman's used to sell them..Pretty sure ECI had something too; I'd give them a call..

9. "ABS Power Brake" (www.abspowerbrake.com) offers after market brake kits and master cylinders/boosters that work with 55'-57' Birds. I have ordered brake kits from them before, great people to deal with and they offer a good product.

10. Like was said, it is a Midland remote booster. Was a setup back in the day on Magoo built cars and others. I've had one in use on my Roadster since '87. Memphis Brake stocked them. Think Ray Godman got them there.

11. BJR

BJR

I have seen those boosters on bigger Ford trucks of the same era. You may look there to find one, if that''s what you want.