Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Got My New Daily Driving Project, 1959 Ford F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krackerjack88, Mar 28, 2010.

1. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Well after selling my OT driver. I was on the search for a 57-60 F100. Came across this one about 40 miles from my house. Took a drive over there and fell in love with it.

Body is really straight and no rust whatsoever (except on a spare tailgate he gave me) Motor ran strong but I knew the timing was off. Well after we agreed on an amount I hopped in along with a spare hood and a brand new brake booster kit for this truck and was on my way home.

Got the truck home and started going through it. Dizzy was off a little so popped it off and got it all dialed in. New Fuel hoses and fuel filter, Plugs and wires, and an oil change and am ready to drive.

It has a 351 Cleveland (small cam) and a C6. Original rear end and all leafs with a straight axel up front. Truck runs real strong and i'm happy with it. Plans are to rebuild the carb, higher PSI fuel pump, New vacuum advance(cracked at the flared end), and a brake job. After that it's on to body and paint with some new wheels and tires.(steelies with the OG caps and bias plys WWW)

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

Congrats! I have my eye on a 57 short bed,big window that i'm hoping to score soon.

3. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Yeah I had my eye on a big window but was too late. This will have to do I guess. :D

4. gafridge

gafridge

Looks great,take the leaf springs apart and remove every other leaf if You want to lower it on the cheap.great score,keep us posted on updates.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

I want to go with some new wheels and tires like above stated. Any idea on what the back tires should be in width without have it look to skinny like a train. Thanks. Stock rear end by the way.

6. hellbilly1932

hellbilly1932
    from San Diego

Nice looking truck there. they look real good with an earlier front bumper.

7. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Congrats on your new ride. Its got to feel great to drive something you love. Have fun and put lots of miles on it

8. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Neat old truck. I'm not a fan of whitewalls, but have fun with it. Wouldn't hurt to get it a little closer to the ground.

9. hvychvy

hvychvy

Good lookin truck.Congrats!!

10. Kool, looks like fun. Check out my 59 on my profile

11. have any plans on what you want to do ? congrats !

12. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Well went down to wheel vintiques and coker today. What do you all think. Firestone bias plys with the ford wheels. And I painted my caps to match. The primer on the wheels is temporary until I decide color.:D

Attached Files:

13. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Those really wide whites really stick out... I think you can pull it off when you're done though.

What color are you thinking for the body/wheels?

I found a short bed, big window, decked out custom cab on CL for 500 bucks recently... damn me for having so many projects already... I really wanted that truck!

You're off to a good start with that body style.

14. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Well I want to go with black and a certain shade of green. The top has to be flaked as well as the dash. I don't want people coming up to me with the R rod word but maybe a Trad Rod word instead. Just going for a 60's Hot Rod/ Custom look I guess. I still have to redo the suspension and brakes. Going to flatten the leafs cause I don't want anything cut up on this truck. Let me tell you how much better the steering is after these wheels and tires were put on.

15. cjmac

cjmac

Cool truck !!

16. BEAR

BEAR

looks good.. man i remember when you were talking to me about mine when i had mine up for sale or trade . im happy you got one . i traded my off for a 56 olds rocket 88 . i think you should paint the rims high gloss black and get the chrome caps for it. that truck looks really good with some chrome on it

17. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Nice find. Your approach to its build is a good one in my opinion. I have had mine for 14 years and have seen the 57 - 60's grow in popularity in that time. It is great to see another one. Here's a shot of mine with my approach to the "traditional" build.

Attached Files:

18. Are those 16" rims or 15's? I was thinking about getting some Firestones for my F-100, but the 16" tires I have seen require tubes and I can't afford the extra cost right this second...

19. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

15" wheels. 6" wide in front, 7 in the rear. Have a 4" white in the back and a 3.25 in the front. These are the OG ford wheels from Wheel Vintique. The tires are Firestones. I'm really pleased with them.

20. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Nice pickup. My 60 came with the same wheels you had on yours. It was the first thing I changed.

21. hellbilly1932

hellbilly1932
    from San Diego

check my album for pics of mine with a silver flaked roof with black candy over the flake. really changes the look of the truck.

22. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Picked this up today, for ZERO dollars! Guess the owner thought his 350 in his 54 caddy would look better with the aftermarket stuff. This is primer again until I decide paint. Was playin around with the primer too much.:D

Attached Files:

23. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Nice score on the air cleaner KJ. Gotta love a freebie!
    Can't wait to see the changes to come on the 59. Keep us posted...

KK

24. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i like the new shoe combo, but i'm not sure about the painted caps. i guess i'll reserve judgment til we see the finished product. but those fridges are about my favorite truck ever. love it.

i want a big window long bed someday...

25. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Are there more than one size of these air cleaners? This one is originally off a 54 Caddy.

26. Philbilly

Philbilly

Sweet looking truck man. Congrats!

27. davis574ord

davis574ord

Thats cool dude!, my first pickup when i was 16 was and still own it today, a 1958 ford f-100 big back window short bed with a 70s 351 cleveland and auto trans ,hauled ass, needs rebuild now! Thats why i love the old shoebox trucks they look good lowered, or lifted,"gasser style" ! Nice score!

28. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I tried to put an Olds cleaner on mine when it had the y-block. I had problems with it hitting the wiper motor.

29. awoo23

awoo23

nice buy, congrats!

30. theres a guy not too far from me who has 2 58-60 f100's for sale both running driving projects decent looking trucks i just cant get into the look of the bed on them theyre both non- stepsides (i use that term because i dont know what ford called thier fleetsides) ive all ready gotten a heap of hell for not using the right terminollogy in a thread i started