Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got my car painted....not too thrilled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixtwo, Sep 29, 2011.

1. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

just read this... well said.

2. sixtwo

sixtwo

I did the body work my self while getting certified at the local college. Doesn't mean it's perfect as I can see some spots that could have been better. This is why I chose a flat paint. However, for shaving the whole car, new quarters, patched fenders, etc...I think the car is pretty damn straight.
    Guy who painted the car can paint. No doubt. But, metallic paint just didn't work with him well.
    And as far as the paint job being free...well monetarily it was, but my dad has spent a lot of time and money helping this gentleman build his 49 caddy. So it was a favor and not totally free. That's what us car guys do, we help each other out.
    I'll get the paint worked out, no worries.

3. jazz1

jazz1

You know what you have to do,,,the car looks great. I saw an old pro and young pro both fail miserably trying to spray flatz pearl. I painted my truck 3x to get a decent finish and am going to spray it with TREME tm Flat Clear to protect the flatz as it has very poor durability.. It's cheap paint but it looks so great.

4. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Hey man, Ive got a shop about 45 mins from you if you need any help im here... I would gladly respray her for you...

You could just use a flat clear on top of any color...

Metallic orange flat looks strange... IMO

5. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

you can always wet sand it down and re spray it if you dont care for it

6. Scuff it and reshoot it, this time white on the top bronze bottom with a silver pinstripe and cragars with skinny whites.

7. sixtwo

sixtwo

Appreciate all the help folks. Unfortunately I've moves to Oregon and had to leave my car behind. It's currently for sale in NC, but if it doesn't sell by this spring/summer I'll attempt to have it shipped out here. I sure do miss it, but maybe I can move onto something new, also.

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Get a junk yard hood and practice BEFORE you reshoot your car.

9. Pharouh

Pharouh

The cragars look nice,but for a period correct look,use narrow whitewalls,black wheels and baby moons. Nice car. Good luck.

10. sixtwo

sixtwo

You know it's funny you say that Pharouh. There was a debate on here about my wheels because I wanted to go black steel. And I was told that only the poor people had black steelies because they were saving up for cragars. Personally I don't care a whole lot about period correct, I've just always loved the black wheels. If I keep the car, we'll see what happens.

11. Pretty much sums it up. With what I see in the picture, nothing will make this paint look good. No point on sugar coating it. The guy screwed the pooch on the paint job. I personally would make him sand it down with you and bring it to Maeco or some cheap shop that actually sprays cars for a living. Or do it yourself but do lots of reading and talk to people that have painted and ask lots of questions. Sorry but the paint looks like crap.
    So heres what I think I would do. Mask off the roof and try your luck painting it. If it turns out good, then paint the rest of the car. I painted the roof on my car first just to see if I could lay paint. After doing the roof, I sprayed a heavy metalic with lots of pearls and clear coat. The car turned out great. Get the paintucation videos. The are pretty informative.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  12. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

Helluva offer, my hat's off to you man. This is what it's all about!

13. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Im serious... Haha. If you wanna prep the car, bring it up, help me tape it up and bring some paint, or throw me some cash and ill get you something good and cheap. Ill give you some pointers, and make sure it comes out good... Curious what you would be selling it for? I had a 63 and had to sell her last year to pay for some lawyer stuff (custody shit)... I really miss it and wouldnt mind having another.

14. sixtwo

sixtwo

As I said earlier, I moved to Oregon and the car is still in NC. I really appreciate the offers of help, and if I could get back there I would take you up. Unfortunately that's not going to happen anytime soon. If anyone is interested in the car, pm me.