Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Got me a unibody

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CG, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Mark,

I would leave it alone. Quit comparing it to short or longs...
    Just like White Zombie said get it one color with rims / tires and drive it
    Frick tell everyone its a one year only drag pack medium bed special order!
    Heck I will get you the Merc bits and tell em kts was wacky Canadian model!
    It looks killer as is!

-Shiny

2. Beautiful truck !!!...Hokey wheels !!

3. supervert

supervert

I agree, I kinda like the wheelbase. Just change the wheels and get her in one color.

4. VonWegener

VonWegener

I have 2 unibody longbeds and they are too long for my taste and the shortbed is way too short.
    Not considering the rear end location I think your truck has the right balance between cab size and bed length.
    So I did a crude modification in the Paint program. Added color to the end of the bed and moved just the wheel inside the existing wheelwell forward 2 inches. I think it looks great.
    I do not know if the way your rearend is set up will allow you to move just the axle forward but if you could here is what it would look like:

[​IMG]

5. VonWegener

VonWegener

I forgot to add this. Here is what a longbed cut down to true shortbed length looks like.
    Very unfortunate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  6. That actually looks really good.

7. The Big M

The Big M

Agreed, those are quite nice proportions.

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I like it the way it is; keep people guessing!

9. TexasDart

TexasDart

Plus it will ride better....best of both worlds.

10. My first vehicle was one of these unibody Ford P/U's with the short bed. Quite frankly, I agree with the consenses about leaving it alone... The bed length looks perfect, and the rear wheel placement looks like it's been altered to help launch it for drag racing... Some wide tires in the rear, and you'd have an awesome ride... Drop in a BBF with a C-6!

11. Well VonW got me to take a better look at proportions. Dunno why I just didnt do a photochop in the first place. Im no pro, but this gives me a better idea. I think it will be fine just as it sits. Plus a rear bumper will give it a little more length, which I think should make it pretty balanced.

This isnt the final color, it was just easiest for me to do. Also I want to go with the thinner whites. These just came up on a quick Google search.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  12. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Keep it the way it is and mess with people's heads.

Everyone has seen a unibody Ford and most have seen a Merc. Switch it up and put Lincoln or Edsel badging on it and tell everyone it was an experimental. Same look, longer wheelbase.

Nice lookin' truck,
    SPark

13. Oh, I kinda like that idea with the Lincoln or Edsel badging. Wonder what it would cost to have someone emboss the gate with Lincoln, or Edsel?

14. I personally think the proportions actually look great. I always thought the shortbeds looked almost too short, but hte longbeds a little too long. Yours I think looks great, he didn't take too much out of it. I can see that truck with some buick wires, double white walls, and some candy brandywine paint.....man that would look good!

15. That does sound nice, but a little out of my budget =) Right now Im leaning towards gold .. I really like that color for some reason, and it seems like a good fit for a mid to early 60's build.

One of my sons is pushing for some sort of two tone with some metal flake. I do like that look, but my goal is to have a ride that I consider timeless. Something that if a person was to buy it, they wouldnt want to change a thing. (course that Chevy drive train is sure to PO Ford purists lol)

16. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those things rule so hard! Good on ya..

17. mrjynx was kind enough to do a photoshop for me over in the photoshop thread. I really like this look. I will probably change up to a white bed cover though. And for now Im going to have to go with painted bumpers and grill until funds allow chrome.

Im going with 15x7 with the wheels and it was suggested 215/70-15 would be a good fit on all four corners.

Im up for any suggestions on other paint style and tire size if you want to chime in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  18. truckrod

truckrod
    from akron,ohio

I want a merc tailgate, grille and hood badges for my 61 !

19. Well havent done a whole lot to it yet. Just been tinkering around with it some. Had a friend shoot it with red primer. Still working out the tire/wheel combo out in my head.

Here is a quick YouTube video I did today.

After driving this awhile, Im not sure if I want to go with the gold paint and chrome rims. More of a hot rod truck than a custom. Im sure I will change my mind a thousand times =)

20. Been having some electrical issues. I tried to bypass them, but no luck. I contacted Tugmaster here on the board and Im going to purchase his 8 circuit harness. Im sure it will be great, he has a ton of people that swear by his stuff.

After a lot of searching trying to decide what wheels and tires I am going to run I decided on Torq Thrust Originals. I had planned on getting the tire sizes all hashed out before doing anything else, but because of the electrical problems that will have to come first.

I did pick up the wheels today though. Definitely going big and littles with the tires. Lotta great ideas on the Torq Thrust thread.

[​IMG]

Funny how things changed up from my first thoughts on this truck lol

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

Good choice of wheels!!! I dig it!!!

22. Thanks, right now my main goal is getting it trustworthy to drive. Ive been reading a lot of threads about steering columns too. I dont like the late model look I have now, and I dont trust the internal wiring.

23. David Loewen

David Loewen

Hi! I'm a newbie to this forum, and I realize this thread has been dead a long time already, but I ran across this, and it's really got me going! I've owned my 63 uni for over 20 years, and always hated the proportions of the bed/cab ratio... I'm loving the look of yours.;).. I think mine's about ready for a repaint/makeover, so it's been nice looking at these pics and I agree that a 10 inch tail bob would be about right. Also have you been able to finish this project? I would love to see some more pics! Thanks