Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Got me a 56 GMC!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krackerjack88, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Yeah. That's the only difference between GMC and Chevy fenders. The GMCs have extra holes drilled for the grill and trim parts. The area where the Chevy parking lights bolt on the fender is the same on a GMC fender. On a GMC fender this area is covered up by the GMC grill. If you look close at this pic of my 55 Cameo, the mounting holes are visible. These fenders are actually 56 GMCs. There is also a mounting hole, (not very visible in this pic), up near where the front edge of the fender meets the hood.

Attached Files:

2. It is a GMC with chevy sheetmetal. You can tell because it has a GMC dash chevy,s are different.:cool: OldWolf

3. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey JACK...man i don't mind if it's g.m.c., chevy are 1/2 breed. what's the differance? but i noticed the zd rear part of frame. are maby not? just doesn't look stock to me. but i'am sure the g.m.c. expert will let us know! that old hoopy is going to look great. good luck with your build. call me POP...or the old FART!

4. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Cool truck. I saw that on craigslist.

5. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

You may as well got "all the way" and find yourself a Pontiac engine to make it more GMC. Nice truck BTW.

6. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

That'll take his cheap project and skyrocket it big time. Finding original GMC metal will be pricey enough.........a Poncho engine will hurt your feelings, ESPECIALLY if he goes a lookin for a Strato-Streak.

7. Years ago i bought a vintage sawmill from a old guy. He told me sawmilling can be cheap or expensive it just all up to you. I have found that to be true of most things. It is especially true of old vehicles. It is entirely possible to go with a vintage pontiac engine as cheap as any other power plant. There are no hard and fast rules that apply. OldWolf

8. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Mines stock and it was pricey.............and I only paid for parts.:D But I have an old Poncho engine you could REBUILD if you so desire, I paid a fortune for it, but you can have it for FREE!

9. UncleJoey

UncleJoey

Nice start for sure. Like the stance...paint will take care of the junk flames, but I like flames none-the-less, loose the steering wheel unless you find yourself in handcuffs all too often! As a runner...run er! If we could all make em like they started their lives there'd be no customs. Leave folks scratching their heads deciding if its a GMC or a Chev. Its all up to you. Standing here on the fence, I love the looks of these trucks stock, but I love customs too.

Have fun building er and driving her!

10. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Oh i'm definatley not going to stock. I'm into customs and hot rods. Maybe make a combo of both. Figure Leave it about the height now. Go through ignition and wiring. Along with brakes and all the stuff you NEED to have it road worthy. Then keep the wheels. I wanna go with the color green on this one. Nothing extreme. Just maybe throw a grey paint job on it and green wheels with green dash. Something different.

11. Nice find! Got me a '58 Jimmy wearing all Chevy trim. Love the GMC dash.

12. I beg to differ...Slam it on the ground and have something a bit different! GMC's seem to hold value too.

13. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Nice find, build it the way YOU want it. Enjoy the ride.