Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got Laughed at Today at the parts counter!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Most Volkswagens on the road these days HAVE radiators...the air-cooled ones are the rarities you see driving.

2. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

This prank was almost funny 40+ years ago when all VW's were air-cooled.

Old saying: If the joke has to be explained, it isn't funny....

3. Faus

Faus

My favorite is when I ask a customer is the vehicle a 4 wheel drive and they say "It has 4 wheels, but I am not sure if they can drive" those are moments I pinch the bridge of my nose and close my eyes.

4. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my "laffriot" experience at the local Auto Zone: counterman (loud voice): i'll find you a set of plugs for your flathead! (me to customer): what kind of flathead is it? (customer): dunno, it's a 55 buick. (me): oh, that's a nailhead! (counterman): nailhead, flathead--what's the difference?!

5. fiddychevy

fiddychevy
    from pa

"You need a tire valve cap?" Is it Automatic or standard shift? Power brakes? Power steering? AC? What is the 8th letter in the vin.? WE will have to order it, should be here by next Thursday

6. Mooseandsqurl53

Mooseandsqurl53
    from N.J.

A little off subject, but, I had an old boat with a 283 Chevy that had a bad ring gear on the flywheel (The engine was actually mounted backwards, the boat being driven by the front of the crank). Was told immediately that they didn't have it. Asked if I could look in the book and he said OK. Found out that same ring gear applied to a ton of car applications up to and including a 1985 Camaro. My engine was a 1962. They had it in stock. After showing them that, they also installed it for me, no charge. At least they made my research worthwhile.

7. 62rebel

62rebel

tire valve cap? out on the floor, aisle 2, left hand side, first row. nice try. unless... you want the chrome skulls, they're over at Autozone. with the rest of the sticky-backed chrome shit for hoopties.

8. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

I went to a Napa store in Grass Valley, Ca. today to buy a 1/4" inverted brass fitting. Counter guy took a while to find it in his bin. No use looking it up because he knew what it was. The first one was wrong. The second one was correct. I said I'll take it. Went to the cashier and paid $11.59. I stopped at a hydraulic hose place and paid $1.29. The fitting goes back to "Napa" tomorrow. I was in the automotive business for 31 years and never "Ripped Off" Someone like that.

9. Different NAPA story. Went to my local store today that has almost everything I ever want to get a Clutch Screw bit, (working on an old Chevy). They knew what it was and knew they didn't have it but sent me to the local hardware store that has everything the NAPA store doesn't and sure enough they did have it. I'm blessed.

10. Gromit

Gromit

It's a vicious circle. Parts stores try to cater tp do-it - yourselfers, That means they cut prices, meaning they hire untrained staff (There is a school for partsmen ... seriously) then they have un-knowledgable people selling cheap parts to guys who don't know wht they are doing.. the guys who determine they can't fix their car call struggling shops like mine who can't afford to say no, then after the quote tell me they have there own partsm and I have to either eat my proffit or tell them my rate just went up because some no-mind sold them a part cheaper than they sell it to me...

grrrrr...

rant over.

11. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I couldn't find a clutch screw bit to save my life. I've been using vise grips to break 'em loose and then a carefully ground down flathead to turn them the rest of the way out, them systematically replacing them with new hardware I DO have bits for. What a pain in the ass! :rolleyes:

12. We have a chain parts store nearby where I live. Last time I went in there they had three women working there that all wish they were men. I'm trying not call them the "L" word. One is the manager and she is pretty good for the most part,other two aren't worth a damn !!! I pretty much walk in and see who's there,sometime I turn around and walk out. Even if you get some guys working there,they don't know the difference between a hood and a hubcap. I've been known to go in the back and get what I want.

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I made my own clutch-head screw tool. Took me about 3 minutes with my die grinder, and only cost me an old crappy screw-driver. They are easy to make as ice.

14. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Those are great for removing the rear metering plate on a 600 cfm Holley carb...

15. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Oh, I don't doubt it! I'm too busy making nice shit for other people's rides eight days a week to actually take some initiative and go make something nice for myself, LOL. I never seem to need one until I decide it's time to fix or replace something on my '53, and then I'd just as soon deal with the bastard screws and get the job done than to actually go make a tool to remove/reinstall 'em.

16. My friend where I was working on the car had also made his own tool from a screw driver but it just wouldn't break the screws loose before slipping in the screw head. I was amazed at the ease they came out with the bit.

17. ranger magnum

ranger magnum

If you are ever in santa barbara, you have to make a stop at Larrys Auto Parts. The owners and their men are gearheads, and know their stuff. And to top it all off, the prices are not much (if any) higher than vato zone. There is always fresh coffee on the counter, and a few hang-arounds with great stories to tell.

18. I actually asked a Paint pro at Home depot if they had a satin Lacquer. I knew I was in trouble when he said "What is Lacquer" ? WTF? He's a paint salesman!!!

19. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i used to go to a now-closed family-owned parts store in the neighborhood. they liked to play trivia by shouting out part numbers--someone always knew the answer! of course autozone killed their business.

20. Faus

Faus

I called advance auto today and asked for a metric adjustable wrench.... The guy spent 10 mins looking for it.... The best part was he said "This store doesn't have it, but I'm sure we can get it."

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. Oh, please!!!
    No you didn't.
    What sort of moron would waste 10 minutes of his time playing a stupid phone prank? Did you also call the drug store and ask them if they have Prince Albert in a can???

22. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I went to my local autozone a while back with part number in hand to make it as easy as possible for what is behind the counter. I am at the counter and the dude that works there is looking down so I'm thinking he is just looking up some part number for somebody. I'm waiting and waiting and I decide to be nosy and look over the counter and see what he is doing. That SOB was TEXTING!!!!!! Ask me how I felt?!?!?! I wanted to reach over the counter and #%%^#$##%% that SOB but I stayed calm somehow. He finally finished and when he saw my face he treated me like a King. I just gave him the part number, he got my part, I got my receipt went home and got on their website and proceeded to tell them what i had just experienced at their store......... The "texting dude" don't work there no more. I don't think it was from what I told them but it was probably a combination of it and more.....

23. Alot of the adjustable wrenches have inches on them. Maybe he can find one with mm on them. Just saying it could be possible nowadays. I have 4 adjustables with the inches on the jaw. They actually come in handy to get the setting close.

24. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

then explain autozones shit parts that don't last,not having a clue what they are doing,no customer service and rude people including the manager, I will never go there again after the incident with the alternator for my neighbors ford ranger, he didn't have a clue, picked it up and all the bolt holes on the casting were wallowed out to crap, then the manager tries to tell me it will work fine that way, sorry but for a 125 dollar alternator it better not be a piece of junk

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

someone in the useless tools thread actually has a metric marked one

26. I went to an Advance auto parts here in Colorado looking for points from a six cylinder chevy to put in my old panhead harley and the kid behind the counter did not know what points were!!

27. yeah , the customers are getting dumber and more rude

had a female customer come in today looking for a battery for a motor-scooter. it was a rather unusual one , i found that we could get one and it would be $51.99. she then proceeded to call us a bunch of crooks and idiots because no battery costs more than $15 and she can get it at Napa for that , then storms out.

a call to Napa and i find out she had just been there and didn't like their $49 price and 1 week wait.

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I forgot to add the idiot at the parts counter at autozoned, this is good for a laugh, went in looking for valve cover gaskets for the 302 in my of topic Lincoln, everyone else had them out of stock, the usual stupid question, how many cylinders etc, :rolleyes: he then proceeds to tell me they don't carry Lincoln parts, I had already told him it was a 302 , and got a blank look, I told him just to get me a set of valve cover gaskets for a mustang with a 302 then, he tries to tell me the Lincoln 302 is different then the Ford 302, and that Lincoln made them different, I just walked out and ordered them from Nappa, do they train to be this stupid or is it natural?

29. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

I don't even bother going into our AutoZones or O'Reillys. It's not worth the hassle. I go straight to the mom & pop Bumper to Bumper store in town. It's family owned, been there forever, and they know what they're doing. Chain stores suck

30. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Yeah my Local family owned parts store is Sellers Auto Parts (Selma, NC), family owned, and it has a freakin' machine shop attached! They make hydrolic hoses, have more bolt on racing parts in the isles then they do types of air fresheners, ANNND (gota love the south) about 12 NICE deer heads hanging on the walls! Then on a big ass full wall shelf, a whole turkey, and a bobcat with a squral mixed in with a $hit load of racing trophy's! They have parts books AND parts (in stock) going back to 1927! They said anything older than that and they have to "call a guy". If you complaining bastards would STOP GOING to the chain stores, drive a few extra miles, and pay a dollar more for a part here and there, then there would BE more good ones still around for you to shop at. Buy LOCAL, buy AMERICAN!!! Also I have found a source that has over 5,000 (no $hit) sets of points and other old school ignition parts in stock, so anyone having trouble finding old points and stuff hit me up and I will track them down for you and/or send you the link.