Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got Gas & Sheet Metal..woohoo! now what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sunnyorm, Mar 7, 2009.

1. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

ok,then

i have oxy/acet tanks, got enough .050 sheet metal to match my short model a windshield posts, which both need lengthened about 3-4", got the measurement for reference, i've posted here the photos of what the area looks like, i rented and watched a welding video or 2, i sucessfully completed my high school metal shop class...about 123 years ago. now i need the experts here to walk me through how i can accomplish this.

the 1st 3 photos show what i'm up against

the second three show a truck and how it should look

note how the top of the "how it should look" pillars flag out to bolt to the front windshield header on each side.

what i can observe is:
    1. each side of the pillar must be cut separately and welded Or
    2. a piece of sheet metal must be cut in one solid piece and heated to conform to each of the 5 sides of the pillar, keeping in mind that, as the piller rises from the cowl, it has a slight taper which must also be conformed to.

now please jump in and educate me

Thanks, sunny

Attached Files:

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

It looks like you need to make the new pieces that will be used to extend the posts to the stock height. Make your patterns from the referenced good posts. After you make the pieces, all you have to do is weld them in.

It also looks like you are missing the inside of the post, the area where the windshield seals up against.

What do you need to know? How to make the pieces? How to weld it? I’m not sure what you are asking.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Make a cardboard (tag board, manilla folder)paper pattern first.

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

you lost me at oxy....

5. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

yeah, my wife has A.D.D too! hehe

6. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

oh great idea, that is my first step

7. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

alrighty, you have 13 more chances to perfectly describe a process to resolve my request, Oi Oi Oi; do you know how many comedians are out of work.

Thanks?? hehe

8. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

Thanks, and i have the pieces, you see missing, model a called them "windshield garnish".
    sunny

9. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

if i understood your comment, these pieces are "windshield garnish"

10. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

ok, then again;

so far the consensus is cut the pieces separately, then weld, makes sense, because one piece together with trying to conform all the bends, might be too much, logistical convalution; these last 2 words are for Hotrod Lincoln, hehe

11. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

how to weld pieces, yes
    how to make pieces, yes
    how to place pattern on metal, yes
    what metal cutting tools
    what tools for heat resisting metal marking; chalk? scribe? other?

Thanks, sunny ok now 2 people said they were confused, go figure. :eek:

12. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

please don't hate me 'cause i restore to Original, hotrod talent is above me, i settle to my subservient talents

13. if i understand you correctly , you are trying to duplicate part of the windshield posts that are missing? if so....you would be better off finding a scrap cowl and cut out the sections you need

14. ...yeah...what 36 3window says is the best idea...lots less work and time involved too...and..IT WOULD BE CORRECT. just my 2 cents....:)

15. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

yes it would be correct, however trying to find another pickup cowl post 28,29 is nearly impossible, example Bert's in Denver largest collection of model a original parts in the world, didn't have one. and no one is going to cut a section out and sell it, even a hotrodder who chops or channels, keeps both ends original, well not always, but you get my point. i will keep looking for another cowl, but think in the meanwhile, i may try the welding.

Thanks for suggestions,
    sunny

16. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

bumping that post every 39 seconds won't get you answers.it seems you did not word your question astute enough to be understood,then you want to insult hamb members that need a clarification..so go ahead and be the funny guy.we'll be waiting to see if ya get results.

17. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

you lost me at oxy; your first words
    4 words you did read;
    the rest you did not read, however if you did read it, your 4 words could be taken as humor or insult, therefore you started on a questionable 4 words.
    with better judgment, initially, you might have clarified your lost condition, by explaining each objection you had to my post, you know better political manners.
    i got answers from people who understood, one answer from one who said he didn't understand, but did clarify where he didn't understand.

h.a.m.b. members here are hilarious, my humor is on the lighter side by a ways.

18. i still think you could find the section of the door post you need,you could try a wanted ad here . then there's Fordbarn ,ebay and Hemmings . have you been to a swap meet lately?

http://www.fordbarn.com/

19. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

I'm pretty sure fordcragar is right. The opening in the cowl for the windshield on my Model A truck cab is completely enclosed, sort of like a box. All you have left is the outer skin. The inner piece that the windshield frame closes against is missing. Look closely at the head-on reference picture and you can see the inner piece. Two C-shaped pieces are usually spot welded together to form a tapered box to make the A pillar. The garnish panels screw into holes on the inner piece.

Those would be tough to make, especially for a restoration. I'd start searching the HAMB classifieds and ebay for scrap cowls or roof chop cut offs.

20. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

wow sunny you have 11 of the 18 post's so far.

21. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

hahaha, ok so i be bad...???

22. Call Antique Auto Ranch. They are here in my town- Spokane, WA. There number is 509-535-7789. They have quite a few cowls, and I'm sure they would sell you the pieces that you need.

Also, in the first pic I nticed you have a late top loader tranny sitting with no stick in it- FOR GODDNESS SAKE TURN IT UPSIDE DOWN SO IT WON'T FILL WITH WATER AND RUIN :D

23. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

a Genuine Thanks, already have 2 sources for the cowl posts.

24. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

another Genuine Thanks, 2 people so far have the cowl/posts i need.

25. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

now there's some subtle ironic humor, Thanks :)

26. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

Thanks for the tranny tip; and yes i'm on top of it, and i'll put it under cover today.:eek: