Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got Fish!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jdee, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Jdee

Jdee

Anyone ever do any painting with Fish scales?
    My dad talked about it when I was a kid.
    "I'm 43 Now"
    But I never thought much of it.
    I Was looking for Mica For Casting some old Packard plastic and found this?
    genuine fish scales, in alcohol [​IMG]
    Do people really use this for custom paint or is it
    for some other app.?
    Jdee
    Link to the Fish and Mica
    http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/englisch/krpigm04.htm

2. I read somewhere this is the stuff the old timers used to use for their 'magic' effects, guys like Watson and Bailon. Link Paola's name comes up also, maybe the Dream Truck?

3. bettyvixin

bettyvixin

I read some where that at least one of elvis's caddy's had fish scales in the paint. I think Barris owns it now.

4. bettyvixin

bettyvixin

http://www.barris.com/gallery_xpac400.html

Last paragraph

........ Body paint of nitro cellulose lacquer 35 coats of imported swedish pearl of essence which is made of crushed fish scales and added crushed diamond dust, then colored in Kandy translucent red, white and blue. This car was designed and built to be demonstrated for the public showing how an air operates and is mounted on a guide rail for safety. All exterior trim has been gold plated for added attraction. All engineering and styling on this car has been used for today's vehicles.

5. Jdee

Jdee

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll have to try some now [​IMG]
    Probably not as good as the new stuff on the market.
    I'd like check it out anyway, the look and feel of what was going on in the old custom shops must have been wild, Crushed glass and that kind of stuff.
    Jdee

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The Sahara was the first to be painted in fish scales. The effect was supposed to be similar to white pearl. But when the car was exposed to sunlight, the scales turned yellow! so they changed the name to the Golden Sahara!

7. An old painter I use to work with was telling me how he crushed brown beer bottles and made it into a base coat for candy apple. He said it worked a treat. I would like to try it one day with green glass.