Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got another old ford today...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mastergun1980, Feb 4, 2012.

1. 39 Ford

39 Ford

My mom and 2 others went from New Jersey to southern Cali in a New 1942 Chevrolet that was a blackout car. They sold it for more than it cost new in New Jersey. She talked in great detail about the trim etc.

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If you can post an angled shot of the car that shows the grill and side profile I may be able to photoshop it into a hot rod to give you an idea, did something similar for Koolkemp. Looks like you have a really cool project there! Eli

3. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I think they just cut the weeds down this fall. I guess I'm the only guy in town that wanted it. It's far from hidden or off the beatten path. I knew where it was 10 years ago when the previousq owner had stashed it away for decades inside a fenced in yard.

4. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I will get some shots in the next couple days and send em to you. Thanks!

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

No problem, what era are you looking for or does it matter?

6. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Sell it and make a couple bucks. Then your lady wont give you a hard time every time you drag one home if she thinks your just maken money.

7. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Well As far as era it's not that important, just not a gasser. I can sketch pretty good, but photoshop is a mystery to me. I was thinking low, but not slamed and broken looking, maybe some cragers, idk maybe steelies w/ blackwalls. A dark color .... but just run with it man.

8. I thought that the few '42's that I've seen had '41 style tailights, but guess I was wrong. Looks like they had '46-'48 style tailights already as early as the '42 production run. Learn something new every day here in the HAMB universe......Don.

9. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Well got motivated today, loaded up tools, a jack 2 spare tires , 2 air bubbles , 6 chains , 2 boomers, 1 come along, my flatbed trailer , and a 20 oz. red bull.
    [​IMG]
    I know, I know, my tow vechicle is way off topic, my 56 ford 2ton will fill this role soon enough ( hopefully with on board tools & air )

Things went gret because less than 2 hours later I was home, Didnt even have to change a tire! And I got to see the floor pans, and except for the trunk they are supprisingly nice! But on a side note I know the motor is seized up now.
    [​IMG]

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

All 42's should be saved! I used most of a 42 grille (all that I could find) on my 47 ...took me 2 yrs to find what I did! Cool score !

11. Nice score.....really cool!

12. That's so rad, I love '42s!

13. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

That fords got good bones.If It would have sat outside here in Central Pennsylvania you would have been bringing most of it home in buckets.Good solid looking car.

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I was just looking for pictures online and there isn't much on the '42s. NADA has some pretty interesting prices too. That would definitely make a cool hotrod, especially with the Flattie.

15. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Yeah I can't find a whole lot of em. I did find an extra set of grill inserts though. I saw one where the removed the center bar and added more grill bars it looked sweet.

16. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Awesome Ford. I actually think the 42's are more attractive than the 46-48's :eek:

I think it would look great with a mid 50s "teen-age" look to it, with whitewalls bias plies, dark paint, slight rake (forward or rear), mild shave, and a tuck n roll interior.

17. If you don't plan on using the hood trim, sell it on ebay... the 42 hood trim may be the same profile as the '46, but it's longer... Also, the 42 hood may look the same as a 42, but it is wider.

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If you get a chance, check out Koolkemps "47 Ford Resurrection" thread. (sorry, I don't know how to post the link). He modified a '42 grill and it came out pretty cool. He also reconstructed the area around the grill that resembles the '42 grill surround. Pretty neat stuff.
    Btw, have you had a chance to get a profile shot of the car yet? I found a couple of sets of Cragars in my photoshop wheel stash that might work on your car. Steels and blackwalls won't be a problem.

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I got lucky and found a nice stocker on the internet. The first one is lowered level with the stock wheels,
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This one has Cragars and a slight rake,
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    And finally, steels and more of a rake.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I think this car has lots of potential with not a lot of major work. It'll be fun to see what you do with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  20. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Man that's awsome I like the second one best thanks, I might have to keep it now!

21. 4psi

4psi

Cool score!! Now I get to watch you take one apart!

-Charlie

22. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Man. Another one? Can I borrow your lucky rabbit foot?

23. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I bet my wife would send it to you if she could find it!

24. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Well it'll be a while before I do anything with it. Its just one of those deals I have to much going on already! Next week I'm dropping a 292 in my 56 ford F-600, if that goes smooth, I am going to do more body work on my 41 pick up. I'm not complaining by any means!
    Maybe I should do a thread on the F-600 upgrades.

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Any time. The pics kinda give it a different perspective huh?

26. hogrider208

hogrider208
    from idaho

here is some the parts for my 42 grills are hard to come by ! need hood bull nose

27. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Don't have any pics but I did own a 42 like yours many years ago. Mine must have been pre war production because it had stainless and all on it. Found an old Mercury that a Dr. used to drive to work and swapped the engines since the 42 did not run. There is also a guy in our club that has a 42 Ford Coupe. Always liked them for their uniqueness.

48 Poncho

28. Nice patina!