Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got an axle today and ended up "maybe finding a gold mine???"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ken Carvalho, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Found an ad for a tire machine (A true COATS 20/20) I have been looking for a few years for one, and when I got out to the guys place we B.S.'ed a little, talked Harleys (I have a couple,& he has a couple) and gave him the cash for the machine.
    I had a "hot rod" t-shirt on and he said "you like hot rods??" I said yeah I kinda build them on the side for fun and for myself, and he said "come check this out''... It was an I-Beam axle with a pair of wide 5 rims with the tires mounted and in very good shape, on the drums, hubs, and spindles. He asked if it was something I was interested in and I said "yeah but I don't have any more cash"... he said "you can HAVE IT!!"...cool ,I said, THANK YOU,!!!

We put it on the trailer next to the tire machine and we get to talking some more and he says " I just bought this place and it has 180 ACRES, ---YES... 180 ACRES!!!--- and there is SHIT all over the place"!!!
    I said WOW thats cool there might be lots of cool shit around, and if there is old stuff I can probably hook you up with some restorers and you can make some money, and he says NAW!!!!, I don't want to deal with people showing up if I'm not around and have to worry about my stuff, I just want it all gone to the scrap yard.......
    If you (him talking to me) are interested in walking around when it dry's up you have first dibs on anything... I said REALLY???? He said YES there are a few cars down in that ravine that I want gone!!!! I said ...lets go see.... He said NO I want you to wait till it is dry and safe, as I don't want any problems (remember I JUST met him so I don't want to be too hasty, pushy or forward) I said O.K.are you SERIOUS?? He said "Yes I like your attitude and and the fact you offered to --make ME money--". I said of course the stuff is YOURS...

So, when the land dries up, I will be scouring 180 acres of land to "save some stuff"!!!! I'll let you all know what I find if your interested?!??!!??!!

Hell,... I was just happy to get a good deal on a tire machine............... Ken

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. RDR

RDR

good for you!...I have always said, "Them that's gots; gets more"...continue to be fair and honest and good things come your way...

3. 3spd

3spd

Congrats on your purchase/find!

If there is any 30's bodies there you don't want give me a ring please.

Thanks,
    Ryland

4. I think I need to take a vacation out west.

5. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

nice score hope to see pics of what you find

6. speedster93b

speedster93b

right on!! i'm interested to see all the stuff you'll find

7. Cool. Now we know what you'll be thinking about til your next
    visit.:D

Be sure to put fresh batteries in your camera when you go.

8. That's cool. Good karma goes a long ways. If it was me and I found stuff I didn't want and could sell for profit, I'd come back and give him some of it.

9. is this in Washington or California? I have a 4x4 truck with a winch and a few chain saws if you want some help.;) good luck.

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Good for you dude, as Comet says good Karma goes a long way!....sometimes t takes a long time thou!
    Im still waitin payback time :D :D :D

11. I call dibs on any mid-60's Mopar stuff! Seriously,very cool,and hopefully you'll come away with some cool stuff. The guy doesn't seem like a jerk,just cautious.

12. Google Earth that mother! Maybe you can find a high resolution picture of the place and scope it out!

13. James427

James427
    BANNED

TAKE PICS for those of us less fortunate.

14. This should be 'required reading' for all those clueless guys
    posting about how to buy a car - parts - ? :cool:

Be HONEST ....
    Be SINCERE ....
    Be RESPECTFUL ....

Do this & GOOD THINGS will come your way :D

Jim

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"This should be 'required reading' for all those clueless guys
    posting about how to buy a car - parts - ? :cool:

Be HONEST ....
    Be SINCERE ....
    Be RESPECTFUL ....

Do this & GOOD THINGS will come your way :D"

Words to live by! Solomon, in all his wisdom, couldn't have said it any better.

16. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I told him that I would AT the very LEAST give him half if I made any money, and he said No don't worry about it, so I told Him if I get stuff or find things of value I would come and give him some manual labor pay back by helping him clean his land. I know theres a lot of trash around so a few dump trips with my car trailer would help him out a lot.
    He said he came across a bunch of wooden coils that were brand new in their boxes and to take them, but we couldn't find them as he didn't remember where they were. I'll keep you all posted. I googled the place but didn't see any clear enough pictures.

17. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

damn.....hopefully you will find some more good stuff. I can't wait to hear what is out there... Congrats on the coats...I've had mine for 20+years and still love it!! I also have a coats 10-10 that I gave to my dad to use in his garage, saves him from using the ol hammer and spoon!!!

18. Sweet Ken! Lemme know what you find, or if you need any help ID'n stuff! You'll LOVE that tire machine, too...my ol man has one and I use the shit outta it!

19. Hey Ken,
    Maybe THAT'S why you're still in Spokane. Cool!

20. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks to you too for going about things the way you did. I feel funny too about receiving free stuff and find a way to repay the kindness if at all possible. Cool idea to jump in and help clean things up for him beyond picking up what you want. Even fairly worthless metal can still be recycled. Needless to say, sounds like you found yourself a good friend and made a good impression for other hot rodders....

21. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Way to go Ken, but it's probably just a bunch of 60's Mopars with those giant valve covers and old Chevys with the funny shaped heads, they aren't really worth keeping. But if you're lucky, maybe there are some Pintos you could get the front ends out of!

22. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Phil, I "run with that" for the time being, but we'll see! Good hearing from you, how you been? The winter this year has been VERY mild campared to the last too, and I'm not so pissed lately?? Got the cement in my shop finally and duilding the upper level.
    Hell since that earthquake shifted the earth 3" on it's axis, Spokane may truly be "The New L.A." I would be one happy son-of-a-bitch!!!!!
    Well off to clean my coats....Thanks guys,
    Chris, I had already thought about calling you but didn't want you to think I only called if I needed something, but I'll take you up on your offer...Thanks, Ken