Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Got a "friend" or "friends" you can't tell about a potential project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Oct 19, 2018.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

Had this problem back in Virginia, to a lesser extent down here in Souf Cowlina. I'm not gifted with lots of cash, so I often have to make deals, pay installments, hold out for tax time, etc to buy what I want..... I had a couple of deals back in Virginia that evaporated into thin air after I told a "buddy" about it.... and it showed up at a friend of his' house. Same thing here in SC; had a guy sell a project right out from under me (without notifiying me OR refunding any of what I'd paid already)... SOOOO... I keeps my mouf shut tight about potential projects around everybody even REMOTELY interested. I even had an SOB buy the car once and offer to sell it to me when I got my tax money FOR $500 more.....

loudbang likes this.
  2. F&J

F&J

Time for some friends to "hit the trail", and then you will be gifted by new positive friends coming at you.
    The more one gets away from negatives, positives can then flow naturally..
    .'.

3. Loose lips sink ships.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Get new friends.

loudbang, clem, chevy57dude and 4 others like this.

5. Yeah, what you thought were friends were not.

loudbang and nochop like this.
  6. the world is full of that stuff.
    Tell them about it after you acquire it.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Real friends will not screw you over and can be trusted, sounds like the guys you are talking about are not your friends and they are a dime a dozen.

8. belair

belair

"I don't think that word means what you think it means"

loudbang, clem, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  9. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Had a (close friend) who knew I'd been looking for a model A or B truck for months. He text me a picture of the perfect model B cab and grill one day, not too nice, not too rough, and asked me what it was worth to me. I asked "what are they asking for it ?" He asked again, what will you give. I knew right then that POS was wanting to make a profit off me, so I flat out asked him how much do I have to pay you to give me the guys number. He never would tell me. He didn't even want it but couldn't stand to think he might be leaving a dollar on the table. Good friends are hard to come by and he threw one away for nothing.
    I found that same cab on Craigs a few months later and got a great deal on it. I'm still pissed though.

loudbang, clem, dan31 and 5 others like this.
  10. 62rebel

62rebel

Yep.... I figured others had the same acquaintances. I briefly considered telling one of them about a car I was only aware of and not really interested in to see if he'd take the hook, but I figured that would be screwing some other guy who WAS interested in it. Not raised that way. I hesitate even today to share too much knowledge about projects to keep flippers off of them.

loudbang likes this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

humans are assholes. I'd rather spend my time with dogs. dogs are cool.

wackdaddy, 1oldtimer, dan31 and 20 others like this.
  12. jim snow

jim snow

This right here is the truth. Anyone that does an end around on you ain't no friend. Imho. Snowman

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  13. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hope you got a bos n receipt for the money down. That's theft, pure n simple. Small claims, while a pita, can get it back to you, one way or another.
    Had folks that I thought were "friends" only to pull that 'fast' stuff, now they = less-than-trusted-ex-friends. Hurts because of time/effort invested into folks, but at least you now know their true value, & can avoid more pain. :D . While I will (very rarely) deal w/some of those folks, I *really* gotta *want bad* what they have, to deal w/someone that I have to count my fingers after a handshake. My life is too complicated now, to invite more in. All of them had low frequency life vibrations. Easier & healthier to pass - in any/every way you can think of. Marcus...

loudbang and 62rebel like this.
  14. I dont share my finds with anyone , unless I know I dont want it , then I will pass them on .
    I sell my stuff for the prices I want for them and will not give any one the best friend price , to enamble them to sell it for what I should have asked .
    Keep more friends that way ...

loudbang likes this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have several friends and a lot of acquaintances. My friends stay my friends by their actions. Have lost quite a few, due to death, and some from their actions. Those are my friends, now my acquaintances, I don’t care if they make a buck off me. That’s how a lot of people here finance their hobby. I got acquaintances that are happy when they make a buy.... until they find out what the seller paid for it. If your happy with the price, when you buy it, it doesn’t matter what the seller paid for it. We are a capitalist society.

Bones

charleyw, alanp561, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  16. jazz1

jazz1

Friends loose lips may not always be intentional. Men are horrendous BSers and many are not happy if their gums not flapping
    I got secrets of stashes I got to take to my grave if ever I want a piece of them

17. RMONTY

RMONTY

Or make them think you want something so you can later laugh and point at them.

loudbang and dodgedifferent2 like this.
  18. You sure as hell got that right:cool:.

19. I'm alone for several reasons and this topic is one of them, I've even given misinformation to people I'm not sure about just to see what happens, and found some true friends that way, also found some #$%@& people too.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    loudbang and 49ratfink like this.
  20. This is the best statement I ever read on the hamb, truer words are seldom spoken...

williebill, dan31, spikemd11 and 2 others like this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

People that say they have lots of friends are either naive or are blessed .

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Just black list them and go on about your day.:)

loudbang likes this.
  23. Ya, you need a new brand of friends. I learned my lesson back in high school; if your "friend" is more interested in the money than the friendship, it's no friendship I want to be involved with.

loudbang likes this.
  24. 62rebel

62rebel

Nobody's ever paid me a finders fee. So, nobody gets any free information.

loudbang and BigO like this.
  25. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Or have lower standards.

loudbang likes this.
  26. manyolcars

manyolcars

In 1968 a friend, Ronnie knocked on a door to ask about the 1923 roadster in the backyard. The lady said she was saving it for her son for when he got back from the war. Oops, that would be WWII. She never sold it but died and the house was bought by another old lady. By this time the bushes had completely obscured the car, I heard about it and searched but could not see it even after I was told where it was, Finally after more instruction, I did find one headlight sticking out of the bushes. By this time the second old lady had moved away. I called and she said call back after Christmas. I told one of my friends, "I will tell you an unbelievable story but dont go there. I want to get the Antique Car Club and maybe a reporter to go and document the car when we get it out of the bushes." This dumbass went over, talked to the next door neighbor, gave them his business card and $100 and spent 5 hours cutting roots and getting the car into his trailer. Then he called me to brag about it. Instant not-friend.
    The neighbor called the owner, they called the cops and gave him lots of well deserved grief.

loudbang likes this.
  27. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

ALL MY FRIENDS ARE IN MY POCKET!

BigO likes this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I don't have any close friends, just a few guys I associate with. Pretty much a lone wolf anymore. There's several guys around here with cars, but I wouldn't call them to go help me drag up something because they wouldn't go, they have theirs and that's all they fool with. The few friends I have had over the years have passed away, moved away, or just quit coming around. I'm not much of a friend anymore anyway, I work so much I have very little free time, but am always willing to help anybody that needs it. I don't tell anybody about stuff I find unless I know they are looking for it. If I find something and can't afford it, somebody else can find it just like I did.

loudbang and BigO like this.
  29. bhemi

bhemi

Rules of life: 1) you don't buy a friends potential project until he passes 2) you don't date his sister until he gives you permission twice 3) you never touch his ex no matter what he says 4) you never borrow his tools 5) his shop his rules

WiredSpider, loudbang and williebill like this.
  30. NashRodMan

NashRodMan