Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Goofy Comments From the General Public

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think the "my uncle had one just like that" is always a good one. Usually a pizza faced fat kid with a tuft of hair growing out of each cheek.

I rode to a show with a friend in his '55 Stude Commander, beautiful car. This kid comes up and says, "My uncle had one just like that except his was blue and a Ford" I was drinking chocolate milk which promptly came out my nose. My friend just smiled and said, "I'll bet it was fast." Then he handed me his handkerchief.

2. A Boner

A Boner

It's a traditional hot rod.
    Why does it have a SBC engine?

3. That's not general public that's pure HAMB right there. :eek: :D

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

one sure sign of getting old is repeating yourself 4 times in a row

5. 71nova

71nova

A few years ago I was showing my Nova SS at a local show. A couple of young guys come in driving a 70 Nova that is really beat with no hood. They are bragging that they are going to win a trophy and the one that drove it in asked me if I would sell him my hood.

6. Lowliner

Lowliner

Pulling into a body shop with my 57 Olds ( 350 Chevy mill ). The old wannabe "mechanic", leaning to the work bench : "Back in my youth, I used to work a lot on these 12 cylinders !!"

7. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Larry: I know I think like an ol' fart; but what did I say four times? Edit Holly shit... Just saw the multiple posts... I kept getting logged off as I was trying to post... sorry bout that!!

pat59 and 3wLarry like this.
  8. LAROKE

LAROKE

That is the question I get most of the time too. Sometimes, they forget to say "year" and just ask "What is that?" My response with a smile is "Fast, loud and dangerous."

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

You all know that healthy "potato...potato...potato" cammed sound. Had a kid ask why it sound like that?!? That thing sounds terrible....like it's going to stall out.

Dummy is used to hearing japanese, fart canned lawn mower engines.

volvobrynk and pat59 like this.
  10. LOL I had a fella pull up next to me at a stop light and tell me I needed new plug wires a few years back. I was in this bitch and gave him one of these when the light turned green. :D

[​IMG]

I guess by looking at the old truck it could have had a miss.

volvobrynk and smoked1 like this.
  11. My favorite response to the long bed haters is " everyone wants a short bed till they get to the hardware store"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. When people ask me stupid questions, I just say " it's my moms".

volvobrynk, The G00SE, pat59 and 2 others like this.
  13. I've had several people ask me what country my '53 Plymouth wagon was made in. I was in a pissy mood one day and answered "Formosa". He ( a dorky looking 30 something in an Audi) then asked me how much it cost to have it shipped here and did it pass smog. Some people just don't get it. I doubt if he even knows Taiwan used to be Formosa. :D

14. LOL he probably thought that Formosa was just another state and knew for a fact that Calif has the best smog rules of any state in the union. :D

15. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Right Front.jpg All of these sound very familar. Once at a Church car show, the masses came out of their service and were looking at all the cars. There were current models, motorcycles muscle, and what ever. I'm always agast when someone shows up to be judged with a new Corvette, window sticker still on the passenger window, and comes away with an award! Then a patron asks if I ever drive my car? Did it come this way from the dealer? What type a foreign vehicle is this? Well, you get the picture.

16. THIS

17. I over heard a guy telling his girl that a GTO at a show had the wrong part number intake manifold. He was pointing at the firing order that's cast into the manifold from the factory

volvobrynk, blowby and Special Ed like this.
  18. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

The flames were an option and added $1500. to the price.

volvobrynk likes this.

19. The kid isn't that far off.
    The engine actually is struggling to idle, and a by product of , and unintended consequence of an engine built with high rpm performance.

It just the cadence and rhythm it creates is pleasing

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. I guess "I had a car just like that" has got to be a comment most of us have heard before. Usually followed by "only mine was (what ever color) or (what ever body style) your car isn't. And let's not forget they often get the year it was produced wrong also.

I often tell people I have had my car since high school. Once someone commented "you bought it new?". I must look awful old for my age, I was only a gleam in my mother's eye in 1957.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Keep in mind that 21 year old was born in 1994.... remember what was on the road in '94..... that people dont understand doesn't surprise me at all.... they're just too young !!
    dave

volvobrynk and lurker mick like this.
  22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

A woman once asked me where I bought my Merc and if they had any more left!

23. Or it could be the product of two cylinders, heavy flywheels and twice pipes. :D :D

24. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

I have an OT Jag E-type. It's a '70 coupe, with the dual overhad cam 4.2 straight 6.

I had a guy at a car show come by with his teenage son. "Nice car. See Billy, Jaguar made the V-12. You can tell from the twin covers, one on each side." I just smiled and said Thanks. Didn't want to make the dad look bad in front of his son.

But as was said previously, at least he was at a car show with his son. Give credit where credit is due. jag 6.jpg
    Pete

volvobrynk and Dick Stevens like this.
  25. My 50 Mercury:

"That thing must consume a lot of fuel....."
    "Was it like this when you bought it?"
    "Is this a ........ (fill in every brand you can think of except Mercury)?"
    "Is this old?"

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

My neighbor came over to look at my Cad. He asked if he could take some pictures for his coworker who built rat rods, saying "he would love to do this one".

\'49 Cad side.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. stimpy

stimpy

some of us tried , but some times the stupidity is too hard to concour , and as they always say whos dumber than to argue with a idiot ??

28. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

29. stimpy

stimpy

feel lucky on the bike , I had a bowling ball XR1000 ( 84) and a 85 Buell RR1000 ( before they were Harley owned and hand built by Erik ) try to explain to people what they were was almost imposible specially when the yuppies started to buy HDs

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this isn't a goofy comment about my car but rather a friend telling me about some "50's custom 56 Chevrolet" with some sort of different roof on it that was parked on the side of a house. so we go have a look and it s a stock 56 4 door hardtop. after that I referred to any 56 we saw as a 50's custom, funny part? he even had a 56 a few years before this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.