Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Goofy Comments From the General Public

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I was at a swapmeet, The vender had 4 tables of new (in the plastic bags) original Model A parts that were aftermarket. The newbie asks if they were New-Old- Stock.

JB_roadrage likes this.
  2. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I had a guy come up to me at a gas station and say thank you for not putting a small block chev in it, referring to my 28 ford roadster w/flathead. What year nailhead is it? I quess he could recognize a chev small block readily enough since he has seen so many of them.

volvobrynk and blowby like this.
  3. elgringo71

elgringo71

I was driving the Corvette in my avitar without the hard top on it and two kids maybe 15 years old, on bicycles gave me the thumbs up and one yelled nice Porsche dude! I took it as a complement but they had no clue.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. 48stude

48stude

At a car show a participant ask my buddy ( he has a 32 Ford 3W ) what year his deuce was. Bill

seatex, Oldsmobucket and blowby like this.
  5. gatz

gatz

That's a good one.....LOL

6. One that made me feel good, driving my '65 Corvair, couple of kids pulled up along side "excuse me sir, what is that? Chevrolet I said, "Ohhhhh, thats cool."

low-n-slo54 likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep--
    This has been the start of many of my experiences with the "unwashed" public.
    You just know your gonna feel a nap coming on, you yawn say OK maybe this will be different then realize nope same story just a different dope.
    When it starts out with "my uncle had one just like that" it almost always ends up with me say'n "yep just like that but completely different".
    Life goes on.

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You're a lot more tolerant than I am, or was. I've had my Corvette ('66, 427, 4spd, 4:11 back then) since my '20s, and my best friend had a 911T, so we learned to be (friendly) arch enemies. Not that a Sting Ray would get mistaken for a Porsche as easily as an earlier one. Now, 40 years later, I pretty much don't give a hoot.

Anyway it's sometimes easy to get defensive. You pour you heart and soul into your ride and someone, who likely can't fit a nut to a bolt, makes a flippant comment. Comeback time..
    "Wanna Trade?"
    "No, I don't want a Corolla, my dick has shrunk enough already"

seatex, LSGUN and The G00SE like this.
  9. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Driving dads 57 chevy hardtop couple years ago & 3 guys in early 20s pulled up where we stopped & asked what year it was............. Sad. I'd never had thunk it possible. Had it been a 90s Honda they'd probably got it spot on. Flux image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    chevy57dude likes this.
  10. elgringo71

elgringo71

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough but I wasn't going to stop and explain to them what the car was. The interaction was only a few seconds because I was driving by. The thumbs up told me that they liked it so they guessed what it was. I had never seen an early Porsche around that area of Texas. If it was a grown man I might have taken it differently.

11. Slopok

Slopok

My grandfather had a Hudson just like yours but it didn't have the fire on it.

12. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Is that thing safe to drive/Dont you need a helmet. My 26 Ford roadster tub. Also, Hey thats a cool smallblock....Has a flathead Merc .

13. Saxxon

Saxxon

Older guy and his 20 something kid / grandson... are looking over the Scout in the staging lanes. They go to the back and feel the Scout move. Turns out the older guy and the kid were looking under the truck and were using the tailgate for support. I'm not a hands off/ don't touch guy so no big deal. They both stand up and the old guy shakes his head and says... That ain't no Bronco, not with that big ol Pontiac diff under it. (Scout with a Dana 60) I thought it was funny since the tailgate they grabbed onto clearly says International on it

14. Tony

Tony

After reading through this thread i think i've heard 3/4 of whats written.
    When i was a little younger it used to burn my ass when id hear some of them. Ive gotten a little better though and try not to waste my time bothering.
    That being said...here are a few ive been blessed with , and yeah i know they have been mentioned
    So many times i hear what year is my "roadster", or "arent you the guy with that roadster". All referring to either my old 33 ford truck, 32 3 window i had or the 32 5 window i have.
    I guess if it looks that old its automatically a roadster?

My 32 and even my 52 chevy truck get called rat rods all the time. I just tell whoever said it that they are hotrods not rat rods.
    And the kit car remarks..if i had a dime for every time i heard that i could probably buy another 32 body.
    I get asked that weekly when i have my 5 window out..all 100% Ford steel, no interior so you can clearly see whats its made of...
    And Not for nothing, my 3 window was glass but even so it wasnt a damn kit! Didnt come with anything that was needed to build it, just a body......
    Freakin ill informed people.

This falls into goofy (stupid) actions...
    Or some dildo knocking on the side of my car to see if its steel....refer to the above statement about no interior..
    They wont hurt the car doing that but really? Makes me want to knock on their forehead to see if it echos in there.

"When you gonna paint it?" .....kiss my ass.

Ok so maybe i havent really gotten past it like i thought. Hahahaha

Tony

15. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

16. jerry7702

jerry7702
    from fla

I always got asked what year is that?

17. dad and i were in his 57 vette that he's owned since 62, i was pumping gas and a lady walked up and told me numerous times "that's my moms favorite car". i didn't know how to respond, so i said "yeah its a lot of fun, dad bought it in 62 , i grew playing in it." then she asked "how much do you think it would auction out at?". where the hell did that come from? too many damn TV auction shows thats where.
    001.JPG

18. sport fury

sport fury

having a hoodless and fenderless 1930 ford coupe i get all the odd questions one could imagine. i am often asked why i do not have a hood and fenders. after explaining why, i still am asked, "but you still have them so you can put them back on". they must think i had made a very poor decision and they helped me come to my senses to replace all the removed body parts. i am not really bothered by others lack of knowledge of old hot rods. i find it to be a good opportunity to talk to people at hot rod events and in public in general. i often have younger people call my car a nice ratrod. i don't mind. i politely teach them what the difference is. it is so easy to think everyone should be as knowledgeable as what you are really into. the odd questions are still amusing to me.

41 C28, OahuEli and Dick Stevens like this.
  19. even tho dad has a pretty cool car (the vette above)he's not very knowledgeable about old cars, anything pre war is a little deuce coupe to him!

20. I bought a new 427 Ford in '63. I was working in a gas station and one of the guys borrowed my car to get lunch. As he is sitting there with it idling waiting to take off, a kid waiting to get gas says to me, "I heard that car is supposed to be really hot, but it sounds like it runs really bad".

21. donno

donno

Girlfriend drives a 57 Pontiac Starchief drop top, allways getting asked "who built Pontiacs or Starchiefs?"

22. iphone pictures 015.JPG I pulled into Bruger's Bagels one Sunday morning. 2 young boys, maybe 11 or 12 years old parked their 2 bicycles by the curb and followed me inside.
    Going thru Bruger's doorway I heard one kid say to the other... "Hey, did you see that JALOPY there parked out front?"

Me thinking......Jalopy? Jalopy? That "Jalopy" drained my blood and emptied my wallet over the years

volvobrynk and Bruce Fischer like this.
  23. Goofy Comments From the General Public

Well,it's is not really goofy and actually quiet flattering now that I think about it.

We were on our way home from the Nat's South in the wagon and while siting at a stop light in Pigeon Forge,Tennessee two elderly women pulled up along side us and the driver rolled down her window and ask Brenda if it was a new 2014 car.

Brenda said it was in 1954 and we just finished restoring it.

The lady said,had it been a new car she was going to buy one. HRP

[​IMG]

poboyross, seatex, J.Ukrop and 4 others like this.
  24. stimpy

stimpy

moved the Chieftain at the storage unit , had several guys that wanted to buy my FORD (90% of the emblems are still on the car and a big indian in the side windows ...:mad: and of course it would make a cool ratrod, you should put a small block in it , blah blah blah . go back and play with your hondas and camrys ....

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  25. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I can remember saying some dumb stuff myself but that was when I was young and thought I knew everything.

I get some good ones down at the liqueur store. One day I'm looking at the beer selection when I hear in a loud voice "who's model a is that?" About my 28 rpu in the lot. I look up and it's a 400 pound, late 30's ghetto styled African America women. I reply " it's mine", to which she replies "I love model a's" we then have a good conversation about model a's. She knew her stuff.

Another time at the same store in my finished model a coupe this kid asks if I bought it and I tell him I built it. He's about ten and very impressed with that fact. He then asks what I'd sell it for right now. So I told him "150 cheese burgers, five cases of beer and a big box of fireworks" the look on his face was priceless.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

seatex, J.Ukrop, nlualum82 and 7 others like this.
  26. rusty bill

rusty bill

When someone asks me "What year is it" I just say 2015!

27. Goes to show... you did too good a job HRP.

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. Thank you sir! HRP

29. Years ago when i built my Model A pickup I was at a restaurant and the waitress looked at me and if I was the guy driving that dune buggy. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. 2935ford

2935ford

To the reverse of this......
    I was at a small show here and an early Chev pickup pulled in beside me. I did not know the year. I complimented him on his nice truck and inquired about the year.
    In a grumpy attitude voice I get...."Look at the license plate! (personalized plates) What year is it!"
    I replied...."Well excuse me!" and walked on.

Sometimes we just need to relax and remember......we all do not know all the cars. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.