Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GOODGUYS QUESTIONS???? What Do You Want To KnoW????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcy

Marcy

As a vendor I can say that the Colorado show is right in the middle of show/race season, there is A LOT going on around the country which divides up vendors.
    Scottsdale, in November, there is almost nothing going on anywhere else in the country so that's an easy call for most companies to make.

Not that I do either show :) Goodguys vendor spots are definitely on the high price side of the spectrum, as opposed to say Back to the 50's which is a much bigger show.

Marcy

2. .......................,
    over.

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Kirk!, I'm thinking about naming my car and my next child, do you have any suggestions?

4. OneBad56

OneBad56

Since Sundays have less cars, therefore more room, why not set up 100 foot contests?

5. The last Goodguys show I went to was with my dad, several years ago, at the big race track in Fort Worth. I drove my 25 T roadster and he drove a 56 F100.

We weren't members at the time and when we arrived we were told that we had to join GG, and then there were other charges/fees, etc that had to be paid. We both left the registration table feeling like we'd been fleeced. Neither of us are cheapskates, but we both thought that it was overpriced. Neither one of us wanted a membership or a magazine....just to get our cars into the event.

The fact that the folks working the registration were unfriendly just made the experience worse.

We've never been back.

I've owned my own business in the past and I know, very very well, that you want to make money and that events cost money to put on, but I also know that when customers leave feeling like we did, (that we were human ATM machines) that you'll most likely never see them again.

Take it for what it's worth. My intent is not to rant, but rather to offer you an honest description of why we were dissatisfied. It's been my experience that honest criticism can be a highly valuable thing.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  6. Tripple G

Tripple G

I don't always want to hear one genre either, but do think the music should be more period/theme oriented. You know, stuff you would have heard playing back when these hot rods & customs were cruising the streets. 50's,60's & 70's seem to fit, just like the soundtrack in American Graffiti. "The Wolfman Is Everywhere":D

7. OneBad56

OneBad56

Rustyfords brings up a good point: non-member registration.
    I believe there use to a non-member registration fee payable at the gate at one time, not everyone wants to be a member. At Puyallup, I think it was 20 dollars over the member rate to get in.

The other point brought up by someone was a one day rate.

Both are good suggestions.

8. OneBad56

OneBad56

Another good point. I get real tired of hearing "canned" music. How about more live bands throughout the day and not all at one stage. Have several stages throughout the grounds and rotate the acts from one stage to another.

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

More good stuff. Thanks.

10. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

Starting the show on Thursday is a good idea for big shows, but if you end the show on Sunday then there are a lot of people that will miss the show. A lot of auto swap meets have gone to wednesday and Thursday starts and this seems to be helping kill the swap meets, because most items are sold before Saturday when most people can go.

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, Thursday seems tough in my personal opinion since most people have weekends off.

12. agasaustin

agasaustin
    from Ohio

Any chance they will bring back the drags?

13. ironrodder

ironrodder

Decided in 2009 when I had it with NSRA that I did not want to belong to any ones "CLUB". Really like the smaller shows anyway. Like stated here membership and entry is just too much. Used to go to at least 3 GG's Shows a season many years more.
    That said Thanks for ask'n. Don't think it will change anything but it's the first time I know of anyone asking.

14. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

You're a real sport for taking all of these questions. I love what you're doing and hope that one of the shows comes to a town near me.

Why don't hookers kiss you on the mouth?

15. X2......bring back the drags!

16. So,you are saying someone is a dick,because they disagree with you ...asshat?

I believe GG -IS- a company and they should not be able to use this forum[primarily thru your efforts] to promote what many believe is a company that has no reguard for anything but their profit margin.....
    In my opinion GG just like RR should be on the off topic list.

17. Fenders

Fenders

GG is a company ??!! Gosh, who'da thunk it.

Like maybe Atomic Industry is a company? Gee, maybe mention of HAMB, the Jalopy Journal, and sale of the license toppers should be off topic on the HAMB...
    oh wait, that would mean...

Never mind.

18. Racewriter

Racewriter

Glad someone gets it. Some people are just jealous of anybody who makes a buck.

Regarding the Super Sundays, I don't mind at all. In fact, it got me to go back to KC on Sunday last year to see what turned up. I honestly don't get people who would rather see 500 pre-'72 cars instead of 500 pre-72 cars and maybe 100 post-72 cars. Seems like a case of cranial rectal inversion.

19. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

If a G.G. member, doesnt have a car at the event for whatever reason, but wants to attend as a spectator, why shouldnt he get a discounted rate, on a spectator ticket, by showing his membership card? By showing his support as a member, I think, this should be enough to justify a reduced ticket price.

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

HAMB/Jalopy Journal/various electronic mags/a just relased printed "book" (something I thot I'd never see from Ryan cuz of his stance on printed material)/ etc...yes, that is a company, just like GG's is, designed to make a profit under the Atomic Industry banner. And a HAMB Alliance membership is what -$50.00...fifty dollars...???

OK, as a member, what does that Alliance membership GET ME...??? NOT much...10% discounts (which isn't much) on stuff I'd never buy anyway...I'm a kustom guy. That's very expensive to me for simply the privilege of saying I'm an Alliance Member, which I'm not and I don't need an Alliance membership to be one of the 'good guys' around here. The point being, a company needs to make a profit, otherwise it goes away...and GG's is on topic here...

R-

21. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I have one. Do the GG's ever do anything to help our hobby out in Washington,DC? I belong to NSRA just for this reason alone.Thanks for letting us ask you questions.

22. What determines show locations?

23. bring back the drags x 3 car shows are boring after the first day. by day two you have been through the swap meet and have looked at all the cars that you are interested in. the drags provide entertainment for the crowd. if you dont believe it watch the people walking around with blank looks on there faces on day two. the finals on sunday keep the crowd around to. i also paticipated in the drags. since the are gone i am to.

24. daddio211

daddio211

Choprods, what's the back story here? Did you have a bad experience at a GG show or are you just a hater? There must be some reason for your passionate dislike of the establishment. Having been to many WONDERFUL GG shows and having worked with many of the people and volunteers I have to say that GG is a great establishment. Tell us what your beef is please.

25. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

x2 on that

26. Kirk, I haven't read all 14 pages, but I'm sorry if this has been already brought up. I was a member for a few years until about 2 years ago you put up overseas subs from $40 US to $120 US. I really enjoyed the gazette and decals we got with the membership, but surely the cost to let us in cannot have tripled. Don't you like us Aussies any more????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

27. OneBad56

OneBad56

There is a discount coupon in the Gazette each month but I hear you, you should just be able to show your membership card at the gate and get the discount.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  28. OneBad56

OneBad56

Kirk, after reading through this thread, there seems to be an underlying theme.....a two day show (Friday & Saturday) versus three day show.

With my self as an example, it takes me 8 hours to get to Spokane, so I leave Calgary at first light on the Friday. That gets me into Spokane around 3 PM to pick up my registration and head to the hotel to check in.

Stay all day Saturday and then usually head home on the Sunday depending on the weather. I have sometimes stayed on the Sunday but found I usually leave around noon to get on the road.

I'm going to Puyallup this year, again, arriving on the Friday, staying Saturday and leaving first light on Sunday to avoid the border fiasco as much as possible.

Kind of expensive for a one day show.

If there was something worthwhile on the grounds on the Friday, then I might arrive earlier.

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

No, I said you're a dick because you attack someone who is doing nothing more than offering help. I am doing this of my own accord as a genuine personal try to help. You not agreeing is fine. You being a dick about it is not.

Why would Goodguys be off topic? Obviously if you read this thread there are lots of people who go WITH THEIR TRADITIONAL RIDES and have a great time. There are others who have genuine questions. Even Ryan asked a question.

I am endlessly thanked for my event photo contributions on here, even by Ryan, and I post them because I want to. 90% of the time I do it at night at home. Who am I promoting when I post the same quality threads about museums, or non-Goodguys events or other builders?

You're entitled to your opinion and so am I. Mine is that you are acting like a dick. You think I'm an asshat. I'm totally fine with that.

Now back to productive discussion.

Thanks to everyone else who has contributed to this thread and sent me all the PMs with even more questions and kudos!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.